Page 75 of 78 FirstFirst ... 256572737475767778 LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 773
  1. #741
    Technocrat
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Haywards Heath
    Posts
    14,766


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitechapel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would be a fair point if we were doing the same as Chelsea, but we aren’t. So it’s not.
    Fair enough

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #742
      A tad aggressive.
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      Not in Whitechapel
      Posts
      1,754


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lower West Stander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We need to buy players who will actually play for the club.

      Do you seriously think that if we get relegated, McAllister will come and play for us in the Championship? Of course not, but hey, you say, we can sell him on at a profit.

      Which defeats the whole object of the exercise. More money can be made by staying in the Premier League than making a profit on a player who may never play for us.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

      Or maybe, just maybe there’s a budget for first team players and a budget for young players for the future.

      We were all but safe at Christmas, and the January window is notoriously shit for signing players. If our form hadn’t fallen off a cliff face this wouldn’t be a point of discussion; and us signing a couple of youngsters for the future is isn’t the reason our form fell apart.
      If you're past 25 and you're still doing gang
      You’re known as a artefact

      Kwengface - Fire In The Booth
    • #743

      5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lower West Stander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We need to buy players who will actually play for the club.
      Yes, we do that now as well.

      It's not mutually exclusive. You are allowed to buy players for now and the future.

      I don't understand why this seems to be an issue for some. Surely this is a real positive that we have a club trying to make sure a long term plan is there.

      You talk as if we spent NOTHING on players for the first team squad in the last 12 months.

      Montoya, Ali J, Andone, Bissouma. About £40m-£45m of players there?

      Bizarre.
      Last edited by mejonaNO12 aka riskit; 20-06-2019 at 14:57.
      The Bernie Taupin of the Football Chant world

      Quote Originally Posted by Husty View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not the sharpest tool in the draw are you?
    • #744
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Posts
      1,277


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Creaky View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I agree with most of that - TB has done wonders for the club and I’m more than happy for him to be investing his money and making decisions as he sees fit. I’m certainly not going to say where, how and on whom he should spend his money.

      My only disagreement is with the regurgitated statement that he has subsidised our tickets to the tune of hundreds of pounds. Simply not true, you might just as well argue that each fan has subsidised TB’s hobby to the tune of hundreds of pounds.
      You are probably correct in what you say and the reasoning is sound, I was just projecting the figures quoted oft times on here whereby the assumption was/is that the income from all ticket sales, televised screening, sponsorship and match day sales etc out of the premiere league did not cover the running costs while in that division, but that may have also included player purchase too which may not be considered a running cost and also set off against player sales etc. But I simplified my post as a head line figure.
    • #745
      Members
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Hanover/Elm Grove
      Posts
      9,286


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      IMHO that is delusions of grandeur talking. It's one thing Chelsea signing and farming young players around the world, they win a trophy more or less every year, but I also think what they do is morally wrong.

      We've had two seasons in the Prem, our status at the moment is about as fragile as it gets. The second we get relegated all of that money and status disappears and we're back with the also-rans who nobody gives a sh1t about. We'll no longer be the XXth richest club in the world and Tony will be back to forking out £35m a year just to break even.

      I'm not sure what's right and wrong here, but I see all this as trying to run before we can walk and the obvious pitfalls worry me a bit - questioning the club's policy doesn't make you a complete moron
      You have the perfect opportunity to turn up to the Fans Forum, and tell Tony that he's running the club wrongly. You could even make the case to the audience that you could run the club better than he can. Be our guests.
    • #746
      Members B.W.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      13,454


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You have the perfect opportunity to turn up to the Fans Forum, and tell Tony that he's running the club wrongly. You could even make the case to the audience that you could run the club better than he can. Be our guests.
      (a) There is no proof (yet) that we are following a strategy of buy to flip...
      (b) If we are, then I for one think it is not a strategy we should be following (at least as of now)... we need to focus our finite playing budget on players that can actually play for us to hep us stay where we need to stay, i.e. in the Prem...
      SockMonster Quote: “I agree with BW… I always agree with BW. He is the font of all knowledge.”
    • #747
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      50,472


      1 Not allowed!
      I'll hazard a guess Jocko either came to the attention of Winstano, when he wasn't buying assets in South America.
      Or he came to the attention of Jonah Hill in his dingy London office next to Tony's dingy London office:-

      "Hey boss, there's a kiddie in Argentina who's metrics are off the chart".
      "He's playing for a shitehouse team, but has connections to Boca".
      "If you want him you need to act now".

      "I dunno".

      "He's an Argie called Alex McAllister".

      "Hmmmmm"

      "He's got a brother called Kevin"


      "Sing him up".
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

      .
    • #748
      Members
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Hanover/Elm Grove
      Posts
      9,286


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by B.W. View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      (a) There is no proof (yet) that we are following a strategy of buy to flip...
      (b) If we are, then I for one think it is not a strategy we should be following (at least as of now)... we need to focus our finite playing budget on players that can actually play for us to hep us stay where we need to stay, i.e. in the Prem...
      You're neglecting the issue that I don't give a toss what you think.
    • #749

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You're neglecting the issue that I don't give a toss what you think.
      The Bernie Taupin of the Football Chant world

      Quote Originally Posted by Husty View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not the sharpest tool in the draw are you?
    • #750
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      69,690


      0 Not allowed!
      It is of course possible that he will be sold to Boca at a profit without playing for us.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •