Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But that didn't happen.

No. But it will have given the Albion board a huge wake-up call to keep their eye on the primary objective of becoming properly established in the Premier League. Plenty of time for speculating on players globally in due course when that primary objective has been achieved. In other words, don't try and run before you can walk.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
No. But it will have given the Albion board a huge wake-up call to keep their eye on the primary objective of becoming properly established in the Premier League. Plenty of time for speculating on players globally in due course when that primary objective has been achieved. In other words, don't try and run before you can walk.

I’m massively impressed on your inside track on albions transfer dealings.

Any chance you could tell me what signings we failed to make because we signed Tau and Mac Allister ?

If spending £12m on players has stopped us signing other targets then I might change my opinion, however I’m yet to see any evidence that signing these players has stopped us getting in other players.

In fact we’ve still had the funds to spunk £30m on Locadia and Jahangash who I believe are the failures in the transfer market, not a couple of low risk punts on players who will increase in value.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last season the club had a full 25 man squad.
The team are currently 11th in the Premier League.
9 of the starting 11 v Man Utd were available last season.
I believe the board felt it had done enough to cover further purchases/investments elsewhere.

You really aren't making much sense.

If the team were relegated, last season, it would have had 2 or 3 very profitable assets within the playing staff that could have been sold with no detriment to the team.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You really aren't making much sense.

If the team were relegated, last season, it would have had 2 or 3 very profitable assets within the playing staff that could have been sold with no detriment to the team.

And that makes sense how? We'd have done a Stoke or a Sunderland. No quick way back to the top table for those clubs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And that makes sense how? We'd have done a Stoke or a Sunderland. No quick way back to the top table for those clubs.

I cannot discuss with you the further ramifications of something that didn't happen.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I know that lots of fans don't like it, but Tony Bloom is running the Albion as he would do one of his businesses.

Tony talked recently about his views on risk and rewards.
He clearly is happy to take some risks in order to achieve higher rewards.
Fortunately all of Tony's risks are very, very well evaluated and he makes the right call an extraordinarily high percentage of the time.

He's pretty good at this stuff, got a bit of a reputation for it as it goes.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Running a complicated organisation like a football club involves balancing the short and the long term interests. When we were signing Tau and MacAllister, we were also pumping 10s of millions on players for the first team. There are plenty of clubs who are only capable of looking after the very short term, (you quoted two of them).

Whether you are buying academy players for our u23 team or foreign players who are further ahead in their development but may not get a work permit, there is an element of speculation as to whether they will work out or not. But speculation is what we do, whether our signings are u23 or first team. Stoke and Sunderland and a host of others spent their money on proven players. As it happened those players felt they had nothing else to prove

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I know that lots of fans don't like it, but Tony Bloom is running the Albion as he would do one of his businesses.

Tony talked recently about his views on risk and rewards.
He clearly is happy to take some risks in order to achieve higher rewards.
Fortunately all of Tony's risks are very, very well evaluated and he makes the right call an extraordinarily high percentage of the time.

He's pretty good at this stuff, got a bit of a reputation for it as it goes.

Amongst other things, he's a professional gambler, and professional gamblers don't take big risks.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Every non-European Union footballer must successfully apply for a GBE (Governing Body Endorsement) with the FA before the Home Office will consider issuing a work permit.

The requirements

The FA will grant endorsement for a work permit to elite football players who are internationally established at the highest level. In order to qualify for this, the person must:

Make a significant contribution to the development of their sport in the UK and must base themselves in the UK;

Be from outside the EEA and Switzerland.

When assessing an application for automatic endorsement, the FA will apply the following criteria in deciding whether a player is ‘elite’ and ‘internationally established at the highest level’ and whether they are likely to make a significant contribution to the development of football in the UK:

The applicant must be joining a club in the Premier League or Football League;

The applicant must have participated in a minimum set percentage of their home country’s senior competitive international matches during the two years (or one year if under 21) preceding the date of application. The percentage is based upon the following:

International Team Ranked 1-10, must have appeared in 30% of matches;
International Team Ranked 11-20, must have appeared in 45% of matches;
International Team Ranked 21-30, must have appeared in 60% of matches; and
International Team Tanked 31-50, must have appeared in 75% of matches.
The Rankings above are based on the official FIFA World Rankings.

If a player fails to meet the above FA requirements for automatic endorsement, the football club can appeal under the FA appeals process to the Exceptions Panel. The criteria for the Exceptions Panel is split into ‘Objective Criteria’ and ‘Subjective Criteria’.

Objective Criteria
The Objective criteria are split further into two parts as demonstrated in the tables below. Players need 4 or more points from Part A or 5 or more from Parts A and B together. The panel will not duplicate points across Part A and B and granting endorsement is always subject to the panel’s discretion even if points are met.

PART A CRITERIA

POINTS AVAILABLE
Transfer fee being paid for the player is above the 75th percentile of all Premier League transfers in the previous season
3 points

Transfer fee being paid for the player is between 50th and 75th percentile of all Premier League transfers in the previous season
2 points

The wages being paid to the player are above the 75th percentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season
3 points

The wages being paid to the player are between the 50th and 75th percentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season
2 points

The player is being purchased from a club in one of the Top Leagues and the player has played at least 30% of the available minutes in that league.
1 point

Prior to the application the player’s club has featured in the group stages of the Champions League, Europa League or Copa Libertadores de America in the last 12 months and the player has featured in 30% of the available minutes
1 point

PART B CRITERIA

POINTS AVAILABLE
Transfer fee being paid for the player is within 20% of the 50th percentile of all Premier League transfers in the previous season
1 point

A free transfer, but a virtual transfer value ascribed by the Exceptions Panel that is within 20% of the 50th percentile of all Premier League transfers in the previous season
1 point

The wages being paid to the player are within 20% of the 50th percentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season
1 point

The player is being purchased from a Secondary League club and the player has played in 30% of the minutes played by the club
1 point

The player’s current club has played in the final qualification rounds of the Champions League, Europa League or Copa Libertadores within 12 months prior to the application, with the player featuring in 30% of the minutes played by the club
1 point

The player participated in a prescribed lower percentage (Secondary Percentage) of competitive international matches within the previous 24-month period; or the player’s international side was a semi-finalist in the Asian Cup, or African Cup of Nations in the 12 months preceding the application. If this was the case, but the nation held an average ranking outside of the top 60 during the 24-month period, then the player must have participated in 75% of the matches during that reference period.
1 point

I wonder if we have ever had a go on the above basis ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I thought that the reason Tau went to Belgium was because it is easier to obtain a work permit there which subsequently made him eligible for one in the UK.

As I am sure has been explained on this thread before (or the dedicated Tau thread), it is easier to obtain a work permit in Belgium but that has no bearing on obtaining a work permit in the UK. Tau is still subject to the same points based system as before, he of course has managed to gain at least a point through playing in this seasons Champions League so there is a reason for him going to a country like Belgium but it's not for the reason you suggested.

There used to be a rule in Belgium that allowed non EU nationals to apply for citizenship (and a Belgian Passport) after two years residency there, but I believe this has now been extended to 3 years so Tau wouldn't be eligible for that yet.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here