Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A lot of patronising BS being spouted on this thread....but don’t let it stop you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of patronising BS being spouted on this thread....but don’t let it stop you.
Perhaps if the same simple shite didn't need repeating over and over and over again it wouldn't have reached Patronising Level Boss mode.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Perhaps if the same simple shite didn't need repeating over and over and over again it wouldn't have reached Patronising Level Boss mode.

...and lo, behold he appeared in all his glory.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...and lo, behold he appeared in all his glory.

Just out of interest how many times have you asked:-

'why sign players who can't play for the Albion?'

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's amazing this still needs to be explained.

I haven't followed it closely over all the relevant threads, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is just being puked up by the same 2 or 3 posters who are just refusing to accept the reality of supporting one of the worlds riches clubs.

Some people just genuinely don’t seem to understand the size and scale of the club now. They’d be much, much happier if we were still signing teenager players from the conference and loaning them out to Bognor.

Reading this forum you’d genuinely believe signing somebody for 60k, them playing 2 years in the Ryman league and then being released on a free if it doesn’t work out is better than signing someone for 7m, letting them play for one of the biggest clubs in the world for a year and then selling them for 10m if it doesn’t work out. It sounds stupid; but we never had people moan about this kind of thing when we signed non-league youngsters.

:shrug:

IMHO that is delusions of grandeur talking. It's one thing Chelsea signing and farming young players around the world, they win a trophy more or less every year, but I also think what they do is morally wrong.

We've had two seasons in the Prem, our status at the moment is about as fragile as it gets. The second we get relegated all of that money and status disappears and we're back with the also-rans who nobody gives a sh1t about. We'll no longer be the XXth richest club in the world and Tony will be back to forking out £35m a year just to break even.

I'm not sure what's right and wrong here, but I see all this as trying to run before we can walk and the obvious pitfalls worry me a bit - questioning the club's policy doesn't make you a complete moron :shrug:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If I said to you that you could have a pound today, or two pounds next friday, which would you choose?

If that analogy is related to McAllisters worth then it makes no sense.

In order to get 2 pounds next Friday, I would be gambling. Maybe that’s what TB is doing but how do you know that 1 pound won’t be worth less next Friday?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The club has the long term to consider as well as the immediate. We are in the PREMIER LEAGUE. If we were buying the 'up and coming British players' from the lower leagues as you said....are you suggesting we would throw them into the first team in the premier league??

If the answer is no..... where do they go? u23? Out on loan? If that's the case, then that's exactly what we've done with Alexis. He was 19 when we bought him, not 28. This is very much a player for the future who is being loaned out to a BIG club.

We need to buy players who will actually play for the club.

Do you seriously think that if we get relegated, McAllister will come and play for us in the Championship? Of course not, but hey, you say, we can sell him on at a profit.

Which defeats the whole object of the exercise. More money can be made by staying in the Premier League than making a profit on a player who may never play for us.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Quite right Stat, anyone would think it was their money that's being invested, its Tony Blooms money and his club to do what he likes with, we are mere followers/supporters, who buy a ticket to watch our team. When we were in the championship every ticket was subsidised to the tune of hundreds of pounds, now Mr Bloom is reaping what he risked when sowing and only has the club, our club, interest as paramount and still they are not satisfied ! If it all goes tits up we will be watching league football again Mr Bloom stands to lose fortunes. Sit back and enjoy the ride we really have never had it so good fellow fans.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Do you seriously think that if we get relegated, McAllister will come and play for us in the Championship? Of course not, but hey, you say, we can sell him on at a profit.

Which defeats the whole object of the exercise. More money can be made by staying in the Premier League than making a profit on a player who may never play for us.

Oh was the $10m upfront in full? Was it our last $10m in the piggy bank? Did it stop us from buying someone else? You know all these things I take it.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I get what you are saying but there's nothing wrong with expanding the BHA brand to places like Argentina and South Africa? When your in with the big boys you have to do big boys things?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We bought Mac Allister in a window where we thought we were safe from relegation.

The timing and opportunity for buying Mac Allister, Baluta and Mlakar was absolutely perfect.

But our results fell off the cliff and we entered a relegation downward doom spiral. :nono:

So this window will be one to strengthen first team problem areas, and not one to focus on similar longer term buys.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Quite right Stat, anyone would think it was their money that's being invested, its Tony Blooms money and his club to do what he likes with, we are mere followers/supporters, who buy a ticket to watch our team. When we were in the championship every ticket was subsidised to the tune of hundreds of pounds, now Mr Bloom is reaping what he risked when sowing and only has the club, our club, interest as paramount and still they are not satisfied ! If it all goes tits up we will be watching league football again Mr Bloom stands to lose fortunes. Sit back and enjoy the ride we really have never had it so good fellow fans.

I agree with most of that - TB has done wonders for the club and I’m more than happy for him to be investing his money and making decisions as he sees fit. I’m certainly not going to say where, how and on whom he should spend his money.

My only disagreement is with the regurgitated statement that he has subsidised our tickets to the tune of hundreds of pounds. Simply not true, you might just as well argue that each fan has subsidised TB’s hobby to the tune of hundreds of pounds.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
IMHO that is delusions of grandeur talking. It's one thing Chelsea signing and farming young players around the world, they win a trophy more or less every year, but I also think what they do is morally wrong.

We've had two seasons in the Prem, our status at the moment is about as fragile as it gets. The second we get relegated all of that money and status disappears and we're back with the also-rans who nobody gives a sh1t about. We'll no longer be the XXth richest club in the world and Tony will be back to forking out £35m a year just to break even.

I'm not sure what's right and wrong here, but I see all this as trying to run before we can walk and the obvious pitfalls worry me a bit - questioning the club's policy doesn't make you a complete moron :shrug:

Would be a fair point if we were doing the same as Chelsea, but we aren’t. So it’s not.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Or maybe, just maybe there’s a budget for first team players and a budget for young players for the future. :shrug:

We were all but safe at Christmas, and the January window is notoriously shit for signing players. If our form hadn’t fallen off a cliff face this wouldn’t be a point of discussion; and us signing a couple of youngsters for the future is isn’t the reason our form fell apart.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Yes, we do that now as well.

It's not mutually exclusive. You are allowed to buy players for now and the future.

I don't understand why this seems to be an issue for some. Surely this is a real positive that we have a club trying to make sure a long term plan is there.

You talk as if we spent NOTHING on players for the first team squad in the last 12 months.

Montoya, Ali J, Andone, Bissouma. About £40m-£45m of players there?

Bizarre.

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I agree with most of that - TB has done wonders for the club and I’m more than happy for him to be investing his money and making decisions as he sees fit. I’m certainly not going to say where, how and on whom he should spend his money.

My only disagreement is with the regurgitated statement that he has subsidised our tickets to the tune of hundreds of pounds. Simply not true, you might just as well argue that each fan has subsidised TB’s hobby to the tune of hundreds of pounds.

You are probably correct in what you say and the reasoning is sound, I was just projecting the figures quoted oft times on here whereby the assumption was/is that the income from all ticket sales, televised screening, sponsorship and match day sales etc out of the premiere league did not cover the running costs while in that division, but that may have also included player purchase too which may not be considered a running cost and also set off against player sales etc. But I simplified my post as a head line figure.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You have the perfect opportunity to turn up to the Fans Forum, and tell Tony that he's running the club wrongly. You could even make the case to the audience that you could run the club better than he can. Be our guests.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here