Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know, but as he plays for his dream team already I fear we will have to drag him kicking and screaming to come and play for us :shrug:

I think that I am just being a realist and TB will make a hefty profit when he sells him to Boca.

Boca don't have that sort of money. A decent sized European club is more likely.
As Boca (and presumably South American football in general) don't have hefty amounts of money, I imagine the lure of £sd (or £p these days I suppose) will influence him (and his agent) far more than the joy of playing for his favourite club!
And even if our wages aren't that high (in the mad world of PL wages terms) I wonder how they compare to South American wages? - plus also there is the fact that if he does well for us for a couple of seasons on a paltry £40 or 50K a week, his chances of a move to something even more lucrative will be even better.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
As Boca (and presumably South American football in general) don't have hefty amounts of money, I imagine the lure of £sd (or £p these days I suppose) will influence him (and his agent) far more than the joy of playing for his favourite club!
And even if our wages aren't that high (in the mad world of PL wages terms) I wonder how they compare to South American wages? - plus also there is the fact that if he does well for us for a couple of seasons on a paltry £40 or 50K a week, his chances of a move to something even more lucrative will be even better.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-a...ayer-in-the-Argentinian-league-first-division

Average wage in Argentinian top flight just £4,000 a week (i know how can they live on that). The financial lure of the PL and top European divisions is huge, even if you do play for your dream club.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
He has played for his dream team. He can play for his dream team at the end of his career as well, should he wish. But any good agent will persuade him that his best years is where he should be making money. That will be us initially, if a permit is allowed

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really don't understand this point of view. Next year he'll both have a work permit and be ready to play in the premier league. He's under contract to us so he'll play for us. Seems simple really?

I haven’t seen a single quote where he has shown any intention or enthusiasm to play for us and seeing as the quote below came from his father just after he moved to Boca I will be very surprised if he ever turns out for us, but I do hope that you are right!

He claimed that if the 20-year-old doesn’t want to join the English side, he will not.

“Today the players decide. If he’s happy at Boca, he will stay at the club.”

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I haven’t seen a single quote where he has shown any intention or enthusiasm to play for us and seeing as the quote below came from his father just after he moved to Boca I will be very surprised if he ever turns out for us, but I do hope that you are right!

He claimed that if the 20-year-old doesn’t want to join the English side, he will not.

Indeed. There is nothing to suggest he wants to play for us.

Unless he is being selectively quoted or meaning is lost in translation.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Thats a bit ridiculous. He's 20. He cost 10 million. He's under contract to us.

Thats not even his quote

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

That is down to brighton, not the player. At the end of his loan it would be us that extends the loan or bring him back.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
If he plays for Argentina and Boca win the Copas he’s worth north of £30million. So if he doesn’t wanna play for us it’s hardly the end of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It's not his choice!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wish I shared the confidence that McAllister will do what the club decide after this season. Transfers of South American players seldom turn out that simple.

Maybe I’d feel differently if I’d seen or read any enthusiasm about moving to England and the PL. I’ve only seen how thrilled he is to be at Boca.

Maybe someone can find a quote about how excited he is to be coming to the PL

I cannot help thinking this is just a very astute way of making money on a player.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish I shared the confidence that McAllister will do what the club decide after this season. Transfers of South American players seldom turn out that simple.

Maybe I’d feel differently if I’d seen or read any enthusiasm about moving to England and the PL
Does it really matter though?
I have no idea why you keep coming back to this getting yourself all bent out of shape.
It's not like he's taking away a squad place, or his wages are crippling the club.

He's property, nothing more nothing less, just the same as everybody else.

The transfer in was for a 'youngest' playing for nothing, bottom feeding club.
If there's a transfer out it will be for an Argentinian international playing for Boca Juniors.

You don't get to be a billionaire by turning down that kind of deal.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Does it really matter though?
I have no idea why you keep coming back to this getting yourself all bent out of shape.
It's not like he's taking away a squad place, or his wages are crippling the club.

He's property, nothing more nothing less, just the same as everybody else.

The transfer in was for a 'youngest' playing for nothing, bottom feeding club.
If there's a transfer out it will be for an Argentinian international playing for Boca Juniors.

You don't get to be a billionaire by turning down that kind of deal.

I am totally accepting of it just being a money making exercise, where have I actually expressed disappointment that he is unlikely to play for us?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

He's under a long contract here. The whole point of this transfer was for us to use our scouting network to find profitability. If Boca or someone else want to from our the transfer fee so that he becomes a profitable sale for us (with that benchmark figure presumably being decided by TB and PB) then we'll sell him. If they can't stump up the cash then he comes back here for the duration of his contract or goes on loan again. I wouldn't imagine him, his dad, his agent or anyone from Boca would get very far trying to play mind games with TB over what the player actually wants. At the end of the day, he's our property.
QIt isn't some Schrödinger's cat situation where we're anxiously waiting to find out if he actually wants to play for us or not. He signed the contract, thereby tying himself to us.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Ally Mac is LITERALLY playing with Carlos Tevez, a case study in bringing South American talent over to a small PL club in order to secure a large transfer fee. *

* albeit we'll probably try to do it without the dodgy 3rd party ownership schtick.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I am totally accepting of it just being a money making exercise, where have I actually expressed disappointment that he is unlikely to play for us?

But is he unlikely to play for us? The chances of the work permit being granted are increasing by the day.

From our point of view, i'm sure we would like to have an Argentinian international in our side next season. From his point of view, (don't know much about the lad, but) most young South American players know that there chance of fame and fortune lies in getting a transfer to Europe, the Premier League especially. I'm not saying we're his dream club, but I don't think he would have ever signed for us if he didn't at least see us as a decent jumping off point.

The two main barriers which remain for him to play for us are that we don't resolve the work permit situation or that he is so successful in the next few months that Barca or someone offer us huge money and we accept. What isn't a barrier is the guy's willingness to play for us. We hold his registration so he can't play for anyone else without our permission.

I'm going to go against most on here and say that my view is that Mac and Percy were both bought with the intention of getting them work permits to play football for Brighton. Sure, we knew that we could sell to make a profit (or limit our losses) if we couldn't ever get the permit, but I think the primary intention was to play for us, and there are signs this is coming together.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But is he unlikely to play for us? The chances of the work permit being granted are increasing by the day.

From our point of view, i'm sure we would like to have an Argentinian international in our side next season. From his point of view, (don't know much about the lad, but) most young South American players know that there chance of fame and fortune lies in getting a transfer to Europe, the Premier League especially. I'm not saying we're his dream club, but I don't think he would have ever signed for us if he didn't at least see us as a decent jumping off point.

The two main barriers which remain for him to play for us are that we don't resolve the work permit situation or that he is so successful in the next few months that Barca or someone offer us huge money and we accept. What isn't a barrier is the guy's willingness to play for us. We hold his registration so he can't play for anyone else without our permission.

I'm going to go against most on here and say that my view is that Mac and Percy were both bought with the intention of getting them work permits to play football for Brighton. Sure, we knew that we could sell to make a profit (or limit our losses) if we couldn't ever get the permit, but I think the primary intention was to play for us, and there are signs this is coming together.

I'd say the main barrier to him playing for us, aside from the work permit, is our league position next year. We could be in the championship, which I presume is the reason for his father's reticence in saying he would love to play for Brighton. If we're in the premier league, they'll be delighted to come and play for Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here