Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] O/T Cashless Society

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
In a cashless society how do you have a whip?

Completely a generational thing. I hate not having cash in my pocket and wouldn't dream of buying a round of drinks by card but it would appear the younger generation are the total opposite. Not so bad with contactless these days but used to drive me potty 5 years ago.

Last September on a trip to Barcelona with mates we all set up 'Revolut' accounts. Basically it's a bank in an app on your phone (you receive a Revolut bank card too). You top it up from your regular bank to a maximum of £200 per day. You can convert your cash to different currencies within the app, at a great rate, no commission, and use it to pay for stuff with the card. You can withdraw cash from foreign ATMs with the card and know that the currency exchange already took place in the app on your phone.

Here's the best bit, The Whip....

You tell the app who you're with (it uses your contact list and looks for those with Revolut accounts, and checks proximity, you just tap on the names in your group). Whoever wants to hold the whip sets it up in their Revolut app (say €450), hits split, and your mates all get tapped up for an equal contribution via the app (so 9 of you would contribute €50 each). They tap the notification and it sends the money in to your Revolut app. You can name it 'The Whip' then buy beer all day specifically from that fund, either by contactless, withdrawing cash, whatever you want. If you need to top up, you enter the total amount, hit split, tap your mates up same again.

Even if there's no whip, say you want to split a big bar/restaurant bill, you just enter the total amount, tap on the people your splitting with, hit split and it asks them all for their contribution. This goes straight in to your account so you can pay the bill.

It works in any currency, comes with loads of extra features like switching your card off if you lose it, or switching contactless on & off, AND IT'S FREE! It also keeps an accurate record of everyone's contribution & everything you spent money on that day (not always a good thing...)

I use it for literally all of my social spending now, and so do all of my mates, it is so easy to set up and manage.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
A cashless society may be coming. Not for at least 40yrs though. When it does the bartering system will flourish. Think about it. Every travel movement, all your cashflow transactions exposed and no financial privacy at all! Still, cry the fools; "If you have nothing to hide, why worry?" The facebook social media generation have not a clue about 'privacy'. None!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The famous I will do the transfer tonight, ten calls later ffs drives me mad does that.

Absolutely, they are always going to transfer the money that evening :rolleyes:
I did one job for a regular customer that was going to pay by BACS, a week later a cheque came through my letterbox.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
In a cashless society how do you have a whip?

Completely a generational thing. I hate not having cash in my pocket and wouldn't dream of buying a round of drinks by card but it would appear the younger generation are the total opposite. Not so bad with contactless these days but used to drive me potty 5 years ago.

Funny you should mention a whip.

We popped into a small pub near Tooley street prior to the West Ham game at about 2pm. We all chucked in £20 into the whip only to be told by the barman that he had NO change in the till. We had the right change for the round and moved on to another pub.

There are Two chippies in Haywards Heathm both ran by Chinese who take cash only.

I had the opposite problem in the Philippines recently. No one wanted to take cards, except the large multi national stores. Two of the hotels accepted credits cards. The appartment we booked was cash only, even though we had secured the booking with my card using Booking.com. I had similar problems in Malaysia a few years back.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Milkman - only accepts cheques
Greengrocers - doesn't have a card machine (they only got a clever till recently, until then they still added up the bills by writing on a piece of cardboard)
Local plant centre - they are still in the realms of the greengrocers from a few years ago....
Barbers - don't have a card machine.

Yes, I'm up north before you ask! Cash isn't dying out round here. You should have seen the look on the butcher's face when a young visitor tried to pay with his phone!!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
You tell the app who you're with (it uses your contact list and looks for those with Revolut accounts, and checks proximity, you just tap on the names in your group). Whoever wants to hold the whip sets it up in their Revolut app (say €450), hits split, and your mates all get tapped up for an equal contribution via the app (so 9 of you would contribute €50 each). They tap the notification and it sends the money in to your Revolut app. You can name it 'The Whip' then buy beer all day specifically from that fund, either by contactless, withdrawing cash, whatever you want. If you need to top up, you enter the total amount, hit split, tap your mates up same again.

Even if there's no whip, say you want to split a big bar/restaurant bill, you just enter the total amount, tap on the people your splitting with, hit split and it asks them all for their contribution. This goes straight in to your account so you can pay the bill.

Cheers, that's good to know.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
We should not give up our right to hold the cash in our own hands.

We may come to regret it.

A cashless society would hand to much power to banks and the government.

Interest rates have been consistently low for many years now. If it hadn't been for the threat that we could remove our money and hold it in cash, maybe interest rates would have been lowered into negative base rates.

For this reason we should fight for our right to hold cash in our own hands, even if you don't actually wish to carry notes and coins.

Cash is also much better for people who cannot manage their money well.

It is much nicer for children to learn how to manage money using cash too.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

This.
My youngest lad is 15, he likes going out with cash to buy clothes occasionally.. Also I don't have to take him to get his hair cut now, I give him cash for the bus and the barber.
I'm not actually sure how old someone has to be before they can have a debit or credit card.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
This.
My youngest lad is 15, he likes going out with cash to buy clothes occasionally.. Also I don't have to take him to get his hair cut now, I give him cash for the bus and the barber.
I'm not actually sure how old someone has to be before they can have a debit or credit card.

Debit card - most banks offer them from about 11/12 - I don't think there's a fixed limit.

Credit card - 18 (because of the need to sign, and be bound by, a credit agreement)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
We should not give up our right to hold the cash in our own hands.

We may come to regret it.

A cashless society would hand to much power to banks and the government.

Interest rates have been consistently low for many years now. If it hadn't been for the threat that we could remove our money and hold it in cash, maybe interest rates would have been lowered into negative base rates.

For this reason we should fight for our right to hold cash in our own hands, even if you don't actually wish to carry notes and coins.

Cash is also much better for people who cannot manage their money well.

It’s also a lot easier to hide from the taxman......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Worked in Stockholm about 20 years ago and was amazed on how far advanced they were to us. Taxis took credit cards, credit card used PIN numbers, wonderful transport system with good cheap car parks outside the city and cheap combined tickets for tubes, buses, boats and of course the blonds! I always thought that we were a country at the front of technology, how wrong I was.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I had the opposite problem in the Philippines recently. No one wanted to take cards, except the large multi national stores. Two of the hotels accepted credits cards. The appartment we booked was cash only, even though we had secured the booking with my card using Booking.com. I had similar problems in Malaysia a few years back.

I had a similar problem in Amsterdam a few years back. The hotel had been booked and paid for but, like most hotels these days, wanted a card when checking in. I don't have a credit card, only a debit one and the hotel didn't take British cards. It therefore insisted on a cash deposit of 100 euros, which I didn't have with me - I had to borrow some from a work colleague.

Cashless society? It's a long way off

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Cash for me in the pub at least. I watch folk pay by card for every round of drinks so that if they are making a session of it there could well be 7,8,9 (and so on) transactions. I don't think I would want that. ( although it might come in handy remembering how much I had to drink next morning :D )

Very guilty of using contactless in the pub, and yes, it really does make me stay longer than I would if I were only using cash. After a few pints, you don't really think about the cost of a round.

My regular monthly bank statement reads something like:

Salary IN
Direct debits OUT
Round Georges Public House
Mumbai Express
Mumbai Express
Mumbai Express
Mumbai Express

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
This.

Yes just imagine sending your child to the shop for their first trip out into the world by themselves. Mine did this before the age of ten and I doubt they would be able to pay by card.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
It’s also a lot easier to hide from the taxman......

Hiding money from the taxman is a crime...

Removing your own money from your bank account (tax already paid) is not....

We must never give our right to protect our money away, future generations would look back in history and wonder why we let it happen. Democracy gives us power and we must not give power over our money away.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Yes just imagine sending your child to the shop for their first trip out into the world by themselves. Mine did this before the age of ten and I doubt they would be able to pay by card.

I have to admit I used to give mine my contactless card! Nobody ever gave a monkeys when they paid that way.

I paid for something in cash (fuel, about £50) yesterday, and it just felt weird! Made me realise just how little I use cash these days....

Absolutely agree we should have cash and cards, though. Cash will remain, but the government (and the card companies who earn money from the retailers by us using them) will always push for more and more electronic ways of payment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here