Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fan issued with five game ban after social media post

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The club introduced the besmirching clause and specified specifically “conduct on social media” a while ago.

https://www.seagullstickets.com/scr...ocuments/html/tandc.html#membershiptandcs1718

2fbf66defa18f11147e5c83f7c4dc8f3.jpg

That reads like a clause out of a contract of employment and if it were I'd understand it's validity. But as a customer it's not my job or responsibility to uphold the good name of a business ( and BHA is a business ) just because I buy their product. I shop at Aldi, I despise their parking rules and their use of the scammers Parking Eye. I have made my feelings very public what I think about it on the Aldi Facebook page ( well before I was banned from it and before I deleted my FB account ! ) and on numerous parking ticket forums. I still shop there but when I buy say my olive oil I'm not agreeing to uphold the 'good' name of Aldi - that's their job not mine.

Basically that clause it utter bollocks and written by some corporate lawyer with about as much idea of customer service as I have of brain surgery.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The club introduced the besmirching clause and specified specifically “conduct on social media” a while ago.

https://www.seagullstickets.com/scr...ocuments/html/tandc.html#membershiptandcs1718

2fbf66defa18f11147e5c83f7c4dc8f3.jpg

Blimey, I hadn't seen that, that's well OTT. Do I agree to that every time I buy a ticket? (I'm not a STH). They'll have spies in the pubs next to make sure no one is slagging off the club to their mates over a pint.

Still, at this moment they can set whatever conditions they like. They can add: 'The club also reserves the right to put broken glass on the seats and force customers to sit on it" - and the matches would still sell out.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Abuse on social media is a very minor problem. Deal with it in private. Just dont understand why it has to be made public. Notify people who complained that it has been dealt with. End of

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Any business can choose who it does and doesn't serve.

The Albion are exercising their right in this regard in relation to something someone has said/typed.

I am fearful that without knowing what was said or typed anyone or all of us might very well fall foul of the same and if we did how would the club judge it and decide upon punishment 5 game ban or immediately jump to a more draconian punishment

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I know if I behave in a abusive way on Saturday I know I will be banned. However dont see why all ST holders should then receive an email telling them

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's quite easy to avoid posting idiotic stuff on social media.

I don't really feel I would need to know what was said to gauge a barometer of bellendary.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Abuse on social media is a very minor problem. Deal with it in private. Just dont understand why it has to be made public. Notify people who complained that it has been dealt with. End of

Two things: it’s possible that the offensive message was broadcast to a wide audience (#BHAFC for example would get a wider circulation than an article in the Argus), so a public response might be appropriate. Secondly, to dissuade others from doing similar in future - a deterrent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am fearful that without knowing what was said or typed anyone or all of us might very well fall foul of the same and if we did how would the club judge it and decide upon punishment 5 game ban or immediately jump to a more draconian punishment

I really don't think it's anything for 99% of Albion fans to worry about.

I did post a link what I believe to be the cause of this particular kerfuffle on this thread earlier, having had a quick search on twitter, but removed it as I don't want to be causing any more grief for someone who is already going to be in quite a bad place right now.

It's not something I could imagine many people even thinking about writing, however.

There is no issue with criticising the club in any way, shape or form. You can call any particular decision taken or activity performed shit. You might be right, or you might be wrong but you can say it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I did post a link what I believe to be the cause of this particular kerfuffle on this thread earlier, having had a quick search on twitter, but removed it as I don't want to be causing any more grief for someone who is already going to be in quite a bad place right now.

It's not something I could imagine many people even thinking about writing, however.

Without posting links or naming names then, can you not just put up what was written that caused the kerfuffle ?

#noseyparker

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Nothing i need to worry about but it is depressing all this . Like being at school the moral high ground we've taken lately.

All the more annoying when it isn't a fan and is just a businessman who prob inventing all this stuff.

Oh well.

Bans of course need to be implemented for certain things but the tone of the correspondence is not great is it

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I don't understand

Nor me!

What is "offensive" is purely subjective. Unless they contained "hate speech", in which case I would have expected the police to have been called in, why are the club getting their knickers in such a twist?

What on earth has happened to the club I used to love so much?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Nothing i need to worry about but it is depressing all this . Like being at school the moral high ground we've taken lately.

All the more annoying when it isn't a fan and is just a businessman who prob inventing all this stuff.

Oh well.

Bans of course need to be implemented for certain things but the tone of the correspondence is not great is it
Indeed, Brighton fans getting a letter home because Chelsea & Spurs fans misbehaved at games not involving Brighton :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1 - Someone tried to be 'funny' and original on twitter.
2 - They misjudged their material.
3 - Someone else took 'righteous offence'.
4 - A crusade started and the wheels of justice were activated.
5 - BHAFC had to be seen to be doing something.

Everyone probably wishes it hadn't happened, and we move on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Oh well.

Why would someone invent it? Am I reading more into your post than you meant?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Must confess that I am now really intrigued as to what was written

Well, it clearly wasn't hate speech. I think we can be certain of that. And if chaileyjem is criticising the club for its handling of this incident then bloody hell the club should be sitting up and taking notice that's for sure.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Apart from balls they would need very deep pockets and I’m not sure that I’ve seen anything that the club has done that could be considered illegal or outrageous. Arrogant and control freakish maybe but nothing worth risking thousands pursuing imo.

Sadly this is so. The club can stop anybody entering the ground for any reason. Bit like a pub, they don't have to give a reason.

Just because the T&Cs permit the club to do certain things (eg banning flasks, bottle tops, and people who make comments on social media that the club doesn't like) it doesn't mean they should.

Big Brother? Big Barber more like!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here