Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast
    Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

Albion fan issued with five game ban after social media post

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoveboyslim View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably not the best age to use at it clearly states in Instagram's T&Cs that Instagram requires everyone to be at least 13 before they can create an account, but I'm sure you know that already
    Did you never watch a 15 film when you were 14 then? Have a pint at 17? Knock one out over Razzle in your teenage years?

I’d rather he used it and I checked and controlled it just like almost every other 12 year old in the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      Nice argument, and I don’t disagree with your fundamental point about a precedent having been set. I don’t even disagree with your assertion about not being sure you like it.

Do you sense a “but”?

But... in your second para you say “I can understand how the club felt it had to act given who was @ mentioned...”

Then, later, you assert “Even then the correct course of action is that I as a parent deal with it...”, even though, in that para, you don’t mention the @ mentions again.

These positions are mutually exclusive, surely? I would posit that the club acted precisely because because of the @mentions in the tweet.

In the case of your son, not only did he not @mention three corporate bodies, he also didn’t name the player or club. Chalk and cheese - the Albion wouldn’t have acted had they spotted it in the hour it was live. It was indeed a parental situation.

Separately, you talk about his age - well, given the fact his photo was attached to every tweet, they could see he was over the age of responsibility. Was he drunk? Who knows, and, I would argue, irrelevant.

All that said - I agree, it does set a precedent. Which is presumably why the press are now reporting it.
      I knew there was a but and I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But my long-laboured point is that there are juveniles all over social media whether we like it or not and pretty much anyone can take out an account. In the examples I gave of under age or mental incapacity I’d expect that action to be the club having a quiet word with the parent / carer - acting as “the other mum” - rather than dishing out a ban. Followed by a call to both WBA and the FA to explain.

You can reasonably guess someone’s age from a picture but not to a precise age, nor can you gauge their circumstances and mental fitness to hold the account

Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

7 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
      The club introduced the besmirching clause and specified specifically “conduct on social media” a while ago.

https://www.seagullstickets.com/scre...shiptandcs1718

Not sure I abided by these rules in the Archer/Bellotti era!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      I knew there was a but and I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But my long-laboured point is that there are juveniles all over social media whether we like it or not and pretty much anyone can take out an account. In the examples I gave of under age or mental incapacity I’d expect that action to be the club having a quiet word with the parent / carer - acting as “the other mum” - rather than dishing out a ban. Followed by a call to both WBA and the FA to explain.

You can reasonably guess someone’s age from a picture but not to a precise age, nor can you gauge their circumstances and mental fitness to hold the account

Yeah... I see your point. Tricky one...
      2A

0 Not allowed!
      How often does this supporter go to games anyway? If it were a STH it would have been mentioned to make the point stronger.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post
      Are you applying to join the board of directors of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club by any chance?
      It pays to cover all bases.

I have never criticised our glorious leader ...oh no..not me sir...no Sireeeeeee. He is doing a fantastic job and is worth every penny the our tone pays him.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Oh dear, oh dear. Far too many people being offended nowadays, or worse still, being offended on behalf of someone else. As I read somewhere the other day:

"Welcome To The Thin-Skinned Generation, Where Everything is A Bloody Problem."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post

Why should different (lower) standards apply online than in real life ? I doubt the club would act as 'the other mum' if a kid shouted racist abuse or whatever in the ground. If they did do so then they might encounter a don't care attitude from the carers. A 5 match ban is not the end of the world and may act as a wake up call to a few people.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Horses Arse View Post
      So it was the tweet I thought it was. It's a struggle to understand what he meant, its even more of a struggle to take such offense to. The guy complaining was asking what was meant by the tweet, which suggests that it was pretty bloody hard to understand. Totally over the top reaction and a green light to get bhafc fans banned left, right and center. Utterly ridiculous.

All those horrible and offensive tweets about Knockaerts dad resulted in no bans at all but some obscure reference to an ex WBA player gets someone banned. Meanwhile WBA back a player that was accused of racist behaviour offering full support whilst said player wrongly claims that the FA ruling proves him completely innocent. I despair.
      Spot on. I’ve seen literally dozens of tweets about Knockaert’s dad which I would view as more distasteful than this.

That said my concern is a wider one. Is this now a level that has beeen set. If so who is the judge as to how that line is crossed?

It seems incredibly disproportionate to ban for this when others have been ignored not least the West Brom fans that abused Bong.

Was anything actually done against any Burnley fans by the way when they abused Bong?

I can’t see all this ending well really. The club have created a rod for their own back.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
      Spot on. I’ve seen literally dozens of tweets about Knockaert’s dad which I would view as more distasteful than this.

That said my concern is a wider one. Is this now a level that has beeen set. If so who is the judge as to how that line is crossed?

It seems incredibly disproportionate to ban for this when others have been ignored not least the West Brom fans that abused Bong.

Was anything actually done against any Burnley fans by the way when they abused Bong?

I can’t see all this ending well really. The club have created a rod for their own back.
      What do you expect the owner/CEO of Brighton to do about West Brom and Burnley fans?
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.