Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] OT. Afternoon radio

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Oh all seeing, omniscient,infallible, NSC can I harness your knowledge. I am a gardener and my job doesn't use all my limited brain power so I listen to the radio all day. Mornings are OK, especially now the slightly annoying Chris Evans has sloped off (I would have preferred Sarah Cox but I think Zoe will be fine) and Ken Bruce doesn't get my goat, not sure why. But what do I do with my afternoons? I absolutely loved Radcliffe and Marconie. Mostly good music and intelligent, humorous chat. I've given Shaun Keaveny 2 day's and I'm not impressed. I would rather eat my own poo than listen to Jeremy Vine and Steve Wright, radio 3 is good for 45 mins and then dull as ditch water and radio 4 just distracts me too much, so what station should I listen to (on my personal DAB player) or should I Google how to download podcasts?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The film review on 5live (Friday 2-4pm) is worth a listen, I used to enjoy Hawkesbee and Jacobs on TalkSPORT but find it a bit inane at times.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Radio 5 for me. Nihal in the afternoon can be a bit hit and miss, but he's engaging. Aimed at the 30-45 year old audience to a bit too 'down with the kidz' for me on the whole. As noted by [MENTION=1413]Mackenzie[/MENTION] the Friday film review on R5 is brilliant (Mark Kermode). Late morning it gets a bit mumsnet.

Personally I'd listen to my iPOD during the middle part of the day. The only actual radio music programmes I can/could tolerate are/were John Peel on radio 1 and the Misery Hour on CITR (downloads available). Radio 6 is too MOR or too self-consciously eclectic for me.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shaun Keaveny is now in that time slot on 6 music.

Just out of interest does anyone else think TalkSport is the most olfactory radio station?

Within seconds (and it'll have to be seconds) of tuning in I can instantly smell farts, BO and gravy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh all seeing, omniscient,infallible, NSC can I harness your knowledge. I am a gardener and my job doesn't use all my limited brain power so I listen to the radio all day. Mornings are OK, especially now the slightly annoying Chris Evans has sloped off (I would have preferred Sarah Cox but I think Zoe will be fine) and Ken Bruce doesn't get my goat, not sure why. But what do I do with my afternoons? I absolutely loved Radcliffe and Marconie. Mostly good music and intelligent, humorous chat. I've given Shaun Keaveny 2 day's and I'm not impressed. I would rather eat my own poo than listen to Jeremy Vine and Steve Wright, radio 3 is good for 45 mins and then dull as ditch water and radio 4 just distracts me too much, so what station should I listen to (on my personal DAB player) or should I Google how to download podcasts?

Planet rock on DAB

Sorted.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Radio 5 for me. Nihal in the afternoon can be a bit hit and miss, but he's engaging. Aimed at the 30-45 year old audience to a bit too 'down with the kidz' for me on the whole. As noted by [MENTION=1413]Mackenzie[/MENTION] the Friday film review on R5 is brilliant (Mark Kermode). Late morning it gets a bit mumsnet.

Personally I'd listen to my iPOD during the middle part of the day. The only actual radio music programmes I can/could tolerate are/were John Peel on radio 1 and the Misery Hour on CITR (downloads available). Radio 6 is too MOR or too self-consciously eclectic for me.

When I praised Peel and his music on NSC, I was ‘jumped on’ for his apparent Savilesque trait (something I genuinely didn’t know about). Teinting slightly amazing memories as a teen in listening to beautiful new music from an endless list of bands late at night.

Steve Wright - a boring wally in the 80’s and 35 years later he’s exactly the same. Obsessed with Americana like the Eagles, behind his faux jokey persona, he hated The Cure, Smiths, Bunnymen, etc.

Across BBC radio, I like Livesey, Kermode, Campbell (I know he’s hated on NSC), Ken Bruce, and a whole load of interesting stuff on R4. Chiles is OK. Victoria Derbyshire’s R5 show was brilliant.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolute radio. On DAB you get lots of choices from 70's 80's etc.
And when you need a boogie Kistory.

Absolute 80’s is good and not too heavy in minutes spent on ads. I sometimes get reminders of long forgotten (by me) quality songs, which I then play to death on Youtube.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Absolute 80’s is good and not too heavy in minutes spent on ads. I sometimes get reminders of long forgotten (by me) quality songs, which I then play to death on Youtube.

I listen to Absolute 80s at home through my TV, I can't tune in on my work or van DAB, i get Absolute and Absolute 90s.
Do get a bit fed up with Plusnet and Direct Line ads though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here