Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Rowett sacked / Nathan Jones **NOW CONFIRMED AS REPLACEMENT**

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Pathetic sacking. Stoke were in decline. They were very shit last year. Sometimes it takes a full season just to stop the rot. Rowett is a decent manager.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Pathetic sacking. Stoke were in decline. They were very shit last year. Sometimes it takes a full season just to stop the rot. Rowett is a decent manager.

But unfortunately, as we all know, managers just don't get that amount of time anymore.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

He's a one trick pony who got the best out of the rubbish he inherited at Birmingham but has been dire ever since. James Mclean for £6m? Tom Ince for £11m? These are Rowett signings at Stoke. Nobody in their right mind would have paid that sort of money for those two bang average players. Their football has been utter gash this season, they are MILES off the pace, and their reserve team very nearly lost to Shrewsbury last weekend. Sorry, I have no sympathy for Rowett. He's proved to be absolute rubbish.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
It's a hard gig to take over a team that has been in the Premier League for so long and then gets relegated. You inherit a squad full of losers, you have less money to spend on getting new players in until you can ship out the losers, but no one wants them because they are losers, and the fans expectation is that they must surely go straight back up because suddenly they are playing the likes of Brentford, and they've been told for ten years that the Premier League is the best league in the world and therefore how can they possibly not beat these shitty little teams.

It is rare that a team goes straight back up, and when was the last time all three went straight back up. The best clubs keep their manager in place and get back up quicker. Newcastle and Burnley are two recent examples.

That said I think Rowett is over rated.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

No, no he's not - He can pull the wool over some eyes for a little while but ultimately gets found out. His football is not pleasant on the eye. Finest bit of business by Derby in a good few years :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, no he's not - He can pull the wool over some eyes for a little while but ultimately gets found out. His football is not pleasant on the eye. Finest bit of business by Derby in a good few years :)

I was quite impressed with what he did at Birmingham but he’s done nothing of note since and I believe he has been managing clubs with decent potential since the Birmingham sacking. Seems he isn’t all that at all.

I can’t help wondering if some of the fallen giants wouldn’t be better off trying to tempt Nathan Jones from Luton.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The fact that his style of football isn't pleasant to the eye, should have made him ideal for Stoke.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The best clubs keep their manager in place and get back up quicker. Newcastle and Burnley are two recent examples.
I'm not sure this is true. You just happen to have picked two examples where the managers were kept, but for entirely different reasons. Benitez hadn't been at Newcastle long enough to turn around their relegation around and was in no way attributed to him. Dyche got Burnley up in the first place, and he wasn't backed with sufficient funds to make staying up a genuine expectation. What you appear to be saying is that Stoke would have been better served keeping Hughes. Well not for me, Clive. Hughes was crap and needed replacing, it's just that Stoke replaced him with the wrong man because Rowett is cack.

That said I think Rowett is over rated.
Certainly by the Stoke board, and Birmingham fans appreciate him. Everyone else? Not so much.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It is rare that a team goes straight back up, and when was the last time all three went straight back up. The best clubs keep their manager in place and get back up quicker. Newcastle and Burnley are two recent examples.

Now, there's a good question: when was the last time that a club got relegated from the PL, sacked their manager and went straight back up? Was it Newcastle under Hughton? I bet it's not happened often

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Now, there's a good question: when was the last time that a club got relegated from the PL, sacked their manager and went straight back up? Was it Newcastle under Hughton? I bet it's not happened often
QPR 2012/13 and 2013/14 under Redknapp, although he'd been appointed to replace Mark Hughes :rolleyes: in Nov 2012.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
QPR 2012/13 and 2013/14 under Redknapp, although he'd been appointed to replace Mark Hughes :rolleyes: in Nov 2012.

How much of those two promotions were down to Arry's skill as a manager, as opposed to the shed load of money he spent on new players?

But I suppose thats a question for another thred.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How much of those two promotions were down to Arry's skill as a manager, as opposed to the shed load of money he spent on new players?

One promotion. He had six months to steer clear of relegation in the first place in 2012/13, failed to do so, then spent a fortune getting them back up (by the skin of their teeth via the play-offs). Another crap but incredibly lucky manager as everyone knows.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

So, he was the manager who took them down. I was thinking about a manager who was appointed in the pre-season and took them straight back up.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I'm not sure this is true. You just happen to have picked two examples where the managers were kept, but for entirely different reasons. Benitez hadn't been at Newcastle long enough to turn around their relegation around and was in no way attributed to him. Dyche got Burnley up in the first place, and he wasn't backed with sufficient funds to make staying up a genuine expectation. What you appear to be saying is that Stoke would have been better served keeping Hughes. Well not for me, Clive. Hughes was crap and needed replacing, it's just that Stoke replaced him with the wrong man because Rowett is cack.

Certainly by the Stoke board, and Birmingham fans appreciate him. Everyone else? Not so much.

You forgot about Lambert.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Selected odds for replacement:

Moyes 4/6
Allardyce 4/1
Pardew 5/1
Carvalhal 10/1
Curbishley 16/1
George Burley 16/1