Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Divorce help

King of Sussex

Divorce help

1 Not allowed!
    Morning all

Can anyone recommend a decent divorce solicitor?

I know there have been plenty of threads on here in the past with people going through similar stuff, and it's reassuring to know that I'm not alone, particularly as I've suffered from a real lack of support from some of my closest family. I don't want to go into too much detail on here, but it's amazing how oblivious others can be to the things that go on behind closed doors.

Never the less, it's been a little while now and my ex appears to want to sort things out amicably and 'without resorting to solicitors' - so I'm looking for a solicitor who'll be able to give me advice in the background, make sure I'm not having the piss taken out of me (which is entirely possible given the history of my marriage) and then facilitate whatever needs doing to make it happen. We have children, but we're not arguing over them and for their sake I don't want things to get nasty while we work out what happens to the house and my (relatively small) financial assets.

I've never used any kind of legal service before apart from conveyancing, which I did online, so I'm pretty stumped about where to start, and there doesn't seem to be a 'Which' guide or tripadvisor for lawyers. I was also recently let down by someone from a well known local firm just at the point where I was about to start throwing money at him, so I'm slightly nervous about instructing someone who might be equally as unhelpful.

I'm the first person in my circle of friends and family to go through this, so I don't really have anyone to turn to... so please help me NSC!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Very sorry to hear your news - good luck.

I don't know any lawyers in Brighton, but do know excellent divorce lawyers in both London and Cambridge, both of whom can take a brief to keep things fair and reasonable if that's what you want. They'd be fine dealing with you over the phone, but you may want face to face meetings... in which case less so.
      2A. K2-18b

1 Not allowed!
      Edward Harte were very helpful based in Brighton. Anna Glenton was the lady I used
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Morning all

I know there have been plenty of threads on here in the past with people going through similar stuff, and it's reassuring to know that I'm not alone, particularly as I've suffered from a real lack of support from some of my closest family. I don't want to go into too much detail on here, but it's amazing how oblivious others can be to the things that go on behind closed doors.

Never the less, it's been a little while now and my ex appears to want to sort things out amicably and 'without resorting to solicitors' - so I'm looking for a solicitor who'll be able to give me advice in the background, make sure I'm not having the piss taken out of me (which is entirely possible given the history of my marriage) and then facilitate whatever needs doing to make it happen. We have children, but we're not arguing over them and for their sake I don't want things to get nasty while we work out what happens to the house and my (relatively small) financial assets.

I've never used any kind of legal service before apart from conveyancing, which I did online, so I'm pretty stumped about where to start, and there doesn't seem to be a 'Which' guide or tripadvisor for lawyers. I was also recently let down by someone from a well known local firm just at the point where I was about to start throwing money at him, so I'm slightly nervous about instructing someone who might be equally as unhelpful.

I'm the first person in my circle of friends and family to go through this, so I don't really have anyone to turn to... so please help me NSC!
      Ask Heather Mills or any Footballers Wife or Girlfriend. They know all the best ones
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      While not a divorce it wasn’t far off with a long term partner and shared house etc. We did it fairly amicably but still used a solicitor to draw up paperwork etc. They also sorted transfer of equity on the mortgage.

They did push a little bit to try and take things further, but really I was ‘happy’ to give away a bit more equity not to have a longer battle and end up spending more with solicitor.

The only thing I’d say is know what you want from it and to achieve and stick to it and definitely don’t think by being a bit softer it might change anything.

Things will probably get a bit nasty at some point but stay out of it.

Good luck
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Morning all

I was joking in my last post. Your wife is actually correct. At least start off without the lawyers. A lot of the stuff you can actually do yourself. It's mostly common sense if you both use it. However, if at any point you don't think you are getting a good deal, you can seek advice professionally
      VERY part time moderator Giraffe's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Julian Hunt, Dean Wilson 01273 249223 [email protected] . Good at his job, but more importantly a nice man and sometimes Albion fan, although cricket is more his bag I believe.

He won't agitate an already difficult situation which is important for everyone involved.

2 Not allowed!
      Griffith Smith of Brighton provide efficient and quality service in my experience across several areas of law. Not cheap.

A modern and cheaper approach is to work things out thoroughly between you, then to go to a single firm for formal Mediation and the divorce.

Using two firms usually leads to sh*t raking by one firm, which they then cash in on. With (accountancy) clients, I've seen huge sums disappear in experts fees.

Whoever you choose, get a fixed quote if you can.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I can't help, but just wanted to say good luck, hope you can get things sorted
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Myself and the previous Mrs W didn't use a solicitor - we used a mediation service to agree things and then had a seperation agreement drawn up by the said service. We used Sussex Mediation Services but I'm not sure if they are still going. I believe Relate can offer the service though.

My advice before you either go to mediation, or indeed a solicitor, is sit down quietly by yourself and write down what you would like the outcome to be. Don't agree to anything 'off the cuff' or in the heat of the moment. Easy for me to say now but not so easy to do while you go through the process.

Finally, once you've agreed to what is happening, don't use a solicitor to file for divorce, it's a very easy process that you can do at a fraction of the cost.

PS - remember, regardless of what has got you to this situation all the law is interested in is that the split is fair and equal on both parties. Don't go giving something away because you feel guilty. Good luck and PM me if you would like further advice / someone to bounce ideas off.
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."