Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 9 Years Ago today...

jamie (not that one)

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I really don't understand most of the anti-Poyet rhetoric on here.

Yes, it got a little bitter at the end with the glass ceiling nonsense and the alleged sacking on-air, and I'm sure in hindsight he looks back with a little embarrassment, but we don't really know what was going on behind the scenes. I'm not old enough to remember the early 80's but I've been watching the Albion since the early 90's and he, along with support from Bloom et al, took us to a level I never thought I'd see us at with the quality of player I'd never seen wearing the shirt in person.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I remember watching his debut at a freezing Walsall and we won

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I remember giving up in the following pre-season thinking he'd gone to Southampton. Really glad he stayed for the long term, such a club icon.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Yes, it got a little bitter at the end with the glass ceiling nonsense and the alleged sacking on-air, and I'm sure in hindsight he looks back with a little embarrassment, but we don't really know what was going on behind the scenes. I'm not old enough to remember the early 80's but I've been watching the Albion since the early 90's and he, along with support from Bloom et al, took us to a level I never thought I'd see us at with the quality of player I'd never seen wearing the shirt in person.

We loved him.

He spurned us.

Hell hath no fury like a football fan scorned.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

el punal

We loved him.

He spurned us.

Hell hath no fury like a football fan scorned.

Succinctly put! The worst 24 hours of my RECENT Albion watching days - losing to the shits in the play offs then hearing Gus had been suspended the following morning. Still, you have to endure the lows to enjoy the highs.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Absolutely THIS.

Yes it all went utterly tits up at the end, but it was brilliant for most of the preceding three and a half years.

He brought us Calde, Orlandi, Bruno and Vicente to name but a few, as well as some of the most flair football ever seen by the Albion, that outweighs the farce at the end in my opinion.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Absolutely THIS.

Yes it all went utterly tits up at the end, but it was brilliant for most of the preceding three and a half years.

He brought us Calde, Orlandi, Bruno and Vicente to name but a few, as well as some of the most flair football ever seen by the Albion, that outweighs the farce at the end in my opinion.

Saved us from relegation to League Two and got us promoted to the Championship.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Calde was the beginning of a truly great flair invasion which climaxed with Vicente, and left us with Bruno. Great, great times to be an Albion fan.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
10/11 Season, one of our greatest seasons and squads :bowdown:

Gus Poyet :bowdown:

Inigo Calderon :bowdown:

Tarricco :bowdown:

Gordon Greer :bowdown:

Lewis Dunk :bowdown:

Radostin Kishishev :bowdown:

Kazenga :bowdown:

Craig Noone :bowdown:

Liam Bridcutt :bowdown:

Glenn Murray :bowdown:

Ashley Barnes :bowdown:

also Gary Hart's final season. :bowdown:

The fact that Elliott Bennett doesn't appear on this list is a travesty. He is my favourite player from the Gus era

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Ankergren
Calderon Greer El-Abd Painter
Bennett Dicker Bridcutt Navarro Barnes
Murray

What a team. Chris Wood played plenty as well, as did Noone and LuaLua (prior to him being broken at Hartlepool). Elphick sat on the bench, Dunk playing a game or two and with Baz and Battipiedi ready and waiting in the wings. What a team, what a squad.

Charlton 0-4 Brighton followed by the nightmare on London Road, Peterborough 0-3 Brighton. Top from what, late August or early September? Sandaza winner to beat Oldham and then we never gave up, right?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Absolutely THIS.

For me, what was unforgivable, was Gus' outburst on Radio Sussex just after we'd beaten the scum on St Patrick's day. He could have at least allowed us a day or two to enjoy a moment that we'd been waiting so long for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here