Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Another One Added To The Fold (?)

el punal

This could be a “woe is me” moment or a football triumph in my Albion supporting days. I will elaborate :

It will be my granddaughter Poppy’s seventh birthday this week and she has decided that her number one birthday request is for me, “Gumps”, to take her to a Brighton football game - following in her elder brother’s footsteps. Not content with the usual kids’ initiation of being plonked in the Family section of the East Stand :eek: she wants to accompany me for pre-match drinks in the pub and sit with me and the rest of the riff raff in the West Upper.

Well her wish is being granted. I have selected the Watford game on the 2nd February for my moment in heaven or hell. She will be proudly decked out in her Albion replica shirt with Poppy and 7 printed on the back.

I am now consumed with mixed emotions of anticipation and dread at how this day is going to pan out. If anyone has got words of comfort and advice for me to cling onto please let me know. Cheers, Gumps! :cheers:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
You should be proud as owt. Pub, riff-raff, and football entertainment courtesy of the mighty Albion, all at her request, I don't know what you're worrying about. What a good girl!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Brilliant that she wants to share her first match with her Grumps. You are privileged.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It will be fine!

I still remember my first-ever game, that my Dad took me to, standing on the East Terrace at the Goldstone as a nine-year old and being an innocently interested observer as the police ejected someone near us for being drunk and abusive even before KO. I'd never seen anything like that before, but somehow I've managed to grow up untraumatised by it :)

Likewise I myself took my 9 and 5 years old to their first-ever game just the other day, against Everton. I'd worried a bit about them – overhearing proper swearing for the first time, being frightened by the crush getting on and off the train, and so on – but it was all completely misplaced. They had a fantastic time – in the end, the 5 year old's biggest problem of the whole day was what kind of mascot to choose in the club shop.

Kids aren't always as sensitive as we worry they may be: Poppy will undoubtedly have a fantastic day, and even if there's the odd bit of colourful language or so, it will just wash off her.

It's a proud moment, whether you're a parent, granddad or uncle or whatever – enjoy it, and don't stress!

AMEX.gif

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It will be fine!

I still remember my first-ever game, that my Dad took me to, standing on the East Terrace at the Goldstone as a nine-year old and being an innocently interested observer as the police ejected someone near us for being drunk and abusive even before KO. I'd never seen anything like that before, but somehow I've managed to grow up untraumatised by it :)

Likewise I myself took my 9 and 5 years old to their first-ever game just the other day, against Everton. I'd worried a bit about them – overhearing proper swearing for the first time, being frightened by the crush getting on and off the train, and so on – but it was all completely misplaced. They had a fantastic time – in the end, the 5 year old's biggest problem of the whole day was what kind of mascot to choose in the club shop.

Kids aren't always as sensitive as we worry they may be: Poppy will undoubtedly have a fantastic day, and even if there's the odd bit of colourful language or so, it will just wash off her.

It's a proud moment, whether you're a parent, granddad or uncle or whatever – enjoy it, and don't stress!

View attachment 103593

Well said. Re: kids, I think with anything like that it's about how YOU react to said bad language, trouble, crowding etc. They'll take their cues from you and if you respond normally they'll soon learn it's "normal".

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
My Brother-in-Law refuses to take his 12 and 8 year olds to the Amex because of "all the swearing"... I've offered him tickets a few times as both his kids are football mad and play for teams themselves.

"No" he said.. "I don't want them hearing any language like that..."

I then walked past their bedroom the next week and heard one say to the other "give me that.. now... you little c*nt..."

:shrug:

Kids hear this at school, online, and in the street. They're not going to melt when they hear it on the terraces. Just explain to Poppy that they're grown ups, some drink too much drink beer which makes them a bit silly, and it's okay to hear it as long as she doesn't repeat it. :)

Have a great time with her! :albion2:

el punal

Well said. Re: kids, I think with anything like that it's about how YOU react to said bad language, trouble, crowding etc. They'll take their cues from you and if you respond normally they'll soon learn it's "normal".

In other words the classic default advice of - “What you hear at football, stays at football.” :cheers:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
When I took my grandkids to their first game, I ensured I got there early and showed them the ground when it was empty, I didn't want to freak them out arriving at our seats just before kick off with all the people and the noise, but if she is OK with noise, as a first experience it will be awesome.

Bring lots of cash for drinks and food, and just in case have a phone/tablet ready for any potential boredom of the game and an alternative entertainment source.

Explain that there will be some words heard that she should not repeat at home or school.

I'm sure she'll have a brilliant time and will want to go every week!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
When I took my grandkids to their first game, I ensured I got there early and showed them the ground when it was empty, I didn't want to freak them out arriving at our seats just before kick off with all the people and the noise, but if she is OK with noise, as a first experience it will be awesome.

Bring lots of cash for drinks and food, and just in case have a phone/tablet ready for any potential boredom of the game and an alternative entertainment source.

Explain that there will be some words heard that she should not repeat at home or school.

I'm sure she'll have a brilliant time and will want to go every week!

Perfect advice.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.....Not content with the usual kids’ initiation of being plonked in the Family section of the East Stand....she wants to accompany me ..... and the rest of the riff raff in the West Upper.

Well her wish is being granted. :

Did you employ the Holmesdale Ultras' approach to accomodate her?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My Brother-in-Law refuses to take his 12 and 8 year olds to the Amex because of "all the swearing"... I've offered him tickets a few times as both his kids are football mad and play for teams themselves.

"No" he said.. "I don't want them hearing any language like that..."

I then walked past their bedroom the next week and heard one say to the other "give me that.. now... you little c*nt..."

:shrug:

Kids hear this at school, online, and in the street. They're not going to melt when they hear it on the terraces. Just explain to Poppy that they're grown ups, some drink too much drink beer which makes them a bit silly, and it's okay to hear it as long as she doesn't repeat it. :)

Have a great time with her! :albion2:

Ha ha! Spot on. It's actually been proven that kids whose parents expose them to swearing and explain about the rights and wrongs of using those words actually swear less than those whose parents attempt to shelter them from it. Your brother in law is a melt.

I've been taking my son to games (mostly away) since he was 5. No drama. He's always loved it. It's also a great bonding thing with trains, pubs, junk food, meeting new people (often pissed up and funny) and football (cricket the same but with less swearing).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here