Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] OT - Redundancy

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I’ve recently been made redundant and at 44 I am struggling to find a new role, anybody got any tips for keeping sane as I can feel the dark clouds gathering? or stories where redundancy has actually been a good thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Always worth remembering that no matter how many disappointments you may have with applications, you only need 1 to be successful. And it may be the next 1.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Easy to say but take the positives out of everything, back to basics.
If you’ve got your health and your family are healthy , then you’re winning. Start from this position and then build from there. Good luck :thumbsup:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I’ve recently been made redundant and at 44 I am struggling to find a new role, anybody got any tips for keeping sane as I can feel the dark clouds gathering? or stories where redundancy has actually been a good thing?

Pretty much everyone ever I know that has been made redundant (non voluntary) has shit themselves. And almost always, its been a blessing in disguise, no matter what your redundancy package. Not necessarily immediately. Career change, less stressful job, better paid job in same industry, bit of study. Time out to evaluate, I know that doesnt help you now. Possibly you'll bump this thread in the future

I got made redundant in my first "proper" job but relocated in the same company on a different career path which I perhaps wouldnt have chosen but ended up being better off workwise for it. That was years ago mind.

What is it you do/circumstances?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was made redundant at 54 after 25 years in the same job. It was a relief, to be honest. Just keep trying and take anything to start off, as you can always change later.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Don't know about redundancy but I lost my job in November and I am 54 and now bricking it. In shit loads of debt and have no idea which way to turn. Having to sell the car first of all in order to have a couple of months leeway. 2018/2019, the years that keep on giving.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I was made redundant 20 years ago. It took time, graft and loads of applications but something did turn up - in fact, "Sod's law", two opportunities turned up at once! I know how frustrating and depressing it can get, but hang in there and, as stated above, take the opportunity to look at other avenues. Best of luck.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't know about redundancy but I lost my job in November and I am 54 and now bricking it. In shit loads of debt and have no idea which way to turn. Having to sell the car first of all in order to have a couple of months leeway. 2018/2019, the years that keep on giving.

As to the OP, my best wishes.

My son lost his job in dubious circumstances and ended up sleeping on my sofa for six months. His car was then written off by a rear-ending **** then, in his new car, he got done for a driving offence that resulted in a year's ban. But he quickly found a better paid job, closer to home, found a flat to rent, and (with some help from me) got his car back on the road. He's had to deal with vaious amounts of new and ever more exotic shit in the meantime, but is stronger for it.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Oh Cullp and Nomad, I feel for you both. I truly hope something good comes along for both of you. easy to say, but keep your chins up.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Nothing to be too bothered about IMHO.Been there,just get yourself to an agency that deals with your trade.Money coming in most important-shows willing to potential new employers.Good luck.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't know where you live but Paradise Park garden centre has a notice up today, with full and part time vacancies.
Retail may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it will get you out of the house whilst you look for something else.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
I was made redundant in December 2018 at the age of 60. I decided to host students, however on the visit to see if I was acceptable we spoke about driving, it turned out they need a driver the following week which I agreed to do. After this they kept asking to do more and more, history tours of all major cities, all their sports events, karaoke, BBQ, tour the AMEX, Harry Potter World.

This turned out to be the best thing ever to happen to me. From yesterday to the end of January I have no day off, however it is so much fun I can't call it a job as I enjoy it so much.

My top tip is to talk to as many people as possible, and be open minded, but don't just take the first job you are offered. I signed up with 2 agencies and was getting around 10 job offers a day. One was £10,000 more than I was earning before. The problem was they wanted me to work Evenings, Saturday and Sunday, I turned that one down as I turned a lot down. Funny thing, the job I ended up with I had no interview!

GOOD LUCK

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I was made redundant at 50 and to be honest it was the best thing that had happen to me.

Initially i was going t to semi retire as the payoff allowed me to pay off the mortgage as this was my only debt.
I'm not the sort of person that can sit around for more than an hour, And the thought of waking up in the morning with nothing to do filled me with dread, I need a reason to get up in the morning. i have to be doing something.
I was in Sales and had been for 30 years but had always been a "hands on" person re building work, built my own extension etc and being electrically trained i had skills to fall back on.
Set myself up as self employed and now earn far more than i did before and work the hours i want to.

Have a look at the skills you have and decide if you want to continue in the the same sector you were previously in and if you want to change to something different.
A great believer its not hard to earn a living so long as your prepared to put the work in.
What i am saying is Good luck ! it not always doom and gloom losing a job, its just that start of another one.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Not sure how your finances are .I was made redundant aged 40 - financial situation was not bad so I resolved to take the first job I could find whatever it was while I worked out what I wanted to do. I kindof fell into a job in the NHS where I have been ever since. Can't say I look on the redundancy as a bad thing at all. I wish you all the best and hope it works out - keep your confidence up.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I've been made redundant twice. One important tip is no matter what your financial situation is, sign on! It's important to have some money coming in even if it's only a small amount.

The second time I was made redundant I was in my mid-40s. As others have said, you need to explore every avenue. I eventually got a job by literally going down the pub one night. Met someone who told me there were vacancies at the place his girlfriend worked. The job was low-paid but at least it was something. Six years on, I'm still there but after a couple of promotions, have a much better role. It is probably also the only job I've ever had which I've actually enjoyed!

So it could all turn out ok, no matter how things seem at the moment.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

I got made redundant 5 years ago, aged 40 after 17 years at one company.
I took it as a positive to do something else in my life and have not looked back. For me it was good but understand for many it can be very stressful and daunting.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Been made redundant 3 times and every time I have ended up in a better situation. Don't accept their initial offer unless it briilliant you can challenge if you feel it's not adequate.
Use this as a time to reflect and think about what you want - I took the opportunity to go to university as a mature student and made a complete career change.
Stay positive and good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Can I ask what your situation is? If you have family then that is different than if you are a single chap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here