Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR gives Grimsby a red card

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Fox for Grimsby was sent off after two minutes for a studs up challenge on Townsend. Ref only gave a yellow but VAR insisted on a red. Seems harsh, it was Townsend after all.

Not sure I like VAR making judgement calls.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Fox for Grimsby was sent off after two minutes for a studs up challenge on Townsend. Ref only gave a yellow but VAR insisted on a red. Seems harsh, it was Townsend after all.

Hopefully, Grimsby will go on and win 3-1 with only 10 men. Hmmm, sounds familiar.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Neither do I. But what are the actual regulations? If the VAR ref draws the ref's attention to something, does the ref. have to go with the VAR ref. if, after looking at the replay, he doesn't agree with the VAR ref?

Juan Albion

Watching the Chelsea game on TV, at one point the Forest players asked the ref to consult the VAR. But VAR was not being used at Stamford Bridge for some reason. Worrying that players don't seem to know if it is in use or not.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Neither do I. But what are the actual regulations? If the VAR ref draws the ref's attention to something, does the ref. have to go with the VAR ref. if, after looking at the replay, he doesn't agree with the VAR ref?

No, the VAR ref just tells the ref to have another look from better angles, its basically just giving the ref the benefits of replays. But only if the VAR ref disagrees with a decision, the ref can still overrule the VAR ref.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

No, the VAR ref can only make a recommendation to the ref to review the footage. The decision is then up to the ref

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Watching the Chelsea game on TV, at one point the Forest players asked the ref to consult the VAR. But VAR was not being used at Stamford Bridge for some reason. Worrying that players don't seem to know if it is in use or not.

I'm sure it is, isn't it the case for all games after round two? Anyway asking for VAR is a yellow card offence.

Juan Albion

I'm sure it is, isn't it the case for all games after round two? Anyway asking for VAR is a yellow card offence.

It's only really installed at Premier clubs. I suspect Forest may have assumed that would include Chelsea, but they were wrong.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It is inconsistent, which doesn't seem right. If the game had been at Grimsby, it would have been a yellow as there is no VAR there. All games or no games, surely?

I believe it is the same as goal line technology though - used in the FA Cup at stadiums that have the technology, but (obviously) not where the stadiums don't.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Its still the referees decision he can even go and look at it for himself.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I believe it is the same as goal line technology though - used in the FA Cup at stadiums that have the technology, but (obviously) not where the stadiums don't.

Not sure it has anything to do with technology other than tv cameras. GLT is completely different as there are fixed sensors around the ground to identify when the ball crosses the line. VAR is just about watching replays.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No, the VAR ref just tells the ref to have another look from better angles, its basically just giving the ref the benefits of replays. But only if the VAR ref disagrees with a decision, the ref can still overrule the VAR ref.

No, the VAR ref can only make a recommendation to the ref to review the footage. The decision is then up to the ref

Its still the referees decision he can even go and look at it for himself.

That's how it worked in the World Cup, but its not how it worked today. It looks like today the ref got a call in his ear to tell him to change his decision. Have a look at Burnley's first penalty decision here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46706808. Same at United where the ref waited for the video ref to make a decision.

Juan Albion

My mistake, I remembered it wrong. It was Morata that was asking for VAR. He was rubbish, but somehow scored both goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here