Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Question for those with a water meter

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Should the circle with the black and white markings on keep moving even when no water is being used? Mine spins slowly but it is moving and we have used 70m3 in the last three months. Is that excessive for 3 people?

Wondering if we might have a leak somewhere or maybe we just bath, shower and flush the loos too often :smile:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ensure all water supplies in the house and garden are off and check the meter display. Leave for a period and recheck the counter. If it has moved then you probably have a leak and should get the supplier out to do a check. They can hear water leaks underground etc. In-laws had a leak on the joint with the meter itself!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Should the circle with the black and white markings on keep moving even when no water is being used? Mine spins slowly but it is moving and we have used 70m3 in the last three months. Is that excessive for 3 people?

Wondering if we might have a leak somewhere or maybe we just bath, shower and flush the loos too often :smile:

It might be worth getting in touch with Southern Water.

We were excessively overcharged to the point where I phoned them, they made me read the meter outside (in case of a leak). They mentioned that if there was a leak it would be going round even when we had turned the stop-cock off inside.

Turned out, that it hadn't even been checked (though it showed at their end that it had).

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Water meters are a rip off

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
In the last 10 years I have had problems with the water meter leaking. Southern water sent staff to sort it out and no quibbles (nice word) with the bill.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Call them out and say you think you have a leak, don’t think it should be spinning .We had someone out to look at ours from SWA. They are pretty helpful afterwards sent out an advisor who checked all the toilets and taps and showers in the house. They put replacement parts on the taps and showers to reduce water usage. All done free.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My water charges dropped dramatically after a water meter was installed. So quite happy.

This......ours dropped about a third (4 in the house at the time, washing machine used virtually every day, dishwasher, lots of baths rather than showers etc etc).

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

As others have said, shut your water off at your main internal stop tap and check whether the meter is still spinning. If it is then you have an external leak under ground.
If your meter is on the pathway get Southern water to check that the meter isn’t leaking at their meter pit. If they prove that it’s not then you would be liable for any repair on your property. Get them to prove this thou first, if they don’t tell them that you will contact Ofwat, they then should get someone out to check.
If proven that it’s not at the meter then check your buildings insurance, you may be covered but most insurances don’t cover this. Some will only have a dig and locate and not the repair itself.
If not insured go onto the Water safe website and put in your postcode and that will come up with the nearest company that deals with underground leaks.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I am paying £51.50 a month now that i'm on a meter. Can't be right for a 3 bed semi?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I am paying £51.50 a month now that i'm on a meter. Can't be right for a 3 bed semi?

Bedrooms don’t use water teenagers rinse it.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
If you have leak, two things to consider, its going into the meter from the mains its the water companies responsibility. If its between the meter and your house its your responsibility and that can be very costly, i speak from experience.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Whats a 3 bed semi got to do with a water meter.

Someone in a 2 bed terrace watering their garden regularly would have a higher water meter bill than a 4 bed semi with only 2 elderly people in residence who don't water their garden
Its how much water you use not the number of bedrooms

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
That's about 9,500 cubic meters of water you're using per month.

Equivalent of flushing an old style cistern over 1,000 times, or a modern toilet 1,500 times.

Also the same as 118 baths, or 153 8 minute showers.

...or about 26 hours of an average tap running.

So if your household isn't particularly mindful about water usage, it could be about right.

I shall be phoning them on Monday. This must be wrong!
It's just 3 of us using water and i'm at work 5 days a week. Alright my teenage granddaughter practically lives in the bathroom but it still can't be that high.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
They're only a rip off if you're using more water than other people.

People with more than 3 in a house usually lose out unless they're particularly economical with water. People living on their own or as a couple usually make big savings.

Water is cheap, at £1.30 a cubic meter. 1.3p a litre. I understand that large families often deplore their large water bills, when their kids are flushing the loo every 5 minutes... but paying for what you use has to be the fairest way of charging for the resource.

I think you are a factor of 10 out there...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here