Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR today

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just listening to decisions at Burnley and ManUre.....long periods of faffing.....I am convinced that some referees are deliberately or subconsciously undermining VAR, dragging out decisions etc. VAR is brilliant and essential but it has to be curated properly. Its like speed cams - works a treat on many toads, but Northampton used them for years to generate money by putting vans in sneaky places.

Will the FA sort this out or does the referee association have too much autonomy?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just listening to decisions at Burnley and ManUre.....long periods of faffing.....I am convinced that some referees are deliberately or subconsciously undermining VAR, dragging out decisions etc. VAR is brilliant and essential but it has to be curated properly. Its like speed cams - works a treat on many toads, but Northampton used them for years to generate money by putting vans in sneaky places.

Will the FA sort this out or does the referee association have too much autonomy?

Bloomin' toads - anything that works on them must be good!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Hopefully it will show up imcompetent refs and force them to up thier game (or in Mike Dean's case **** off out of football altogether)

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I think the fact that its been sporadically used across England for a couple of seasons now doesn't help in terms of getting used to it. Personally, I think we just have to go with it, I'd rather take the hold-up if it means we get the right decisions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A last minute winning Murray goal in the cup against Palace was confirmed by VAR wasn’t it, why wouldn’t you like that? :smile:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
There’s one major reason VAR in this country will never work as well as it did during the World Cup.

The World Cup has an entire team of refs sat there ready to review every decision, so 8+ angles can be viewed instantly for a quick decision. We aren’t going to get this in The FA Cup or for a Prem game. There won’t be an entire team of officials there to review us v West H.

Get used to long delays, where nobody in the ground has no idea what’s going on. It’s another kick in the bollocks of fans that got to games, but nobody seems to bothered. :shootself

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed Steve. Comedy post of the year :D

Only the 5th of Jan. Long way to go.....:rolleyes:

Back to thread: [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION] suggests it won't be curated properly. I thought it was a bidded enterprise with a central HQ? If It is going to be franchised out to local numpties it is bound to fail. So which is it?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
There’s one major reason VAR in this country will never work as well as it did during the World Cup.

The World Cup has an entire team of refs sat there ready to review every decision, so 8+ angles can be viewed instantly for a quick decision. We aren’t going to get this in The FA Cup or for a Prem game. There won’t be an entire team of officials there to review us v West H.

Get used to long delays, where nobody in the ground has no idea what’s going on. It’s another kick in the bollocks of fans that got to games, but nobody seems to bothered. :shootself

Totally agree with everything you have said, especially this last paragraph.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Totally agree with everything you have said, especially this last paragraph.

Sounds like you both think this excellent system won't work because we (The FA and EPL) ar too shit to make anything work. So what would you prefer? Carry on with 'referee's whimsy'?

My view is that it won't work well if the English referees sabotage it.....

Sometimes I wonder how we ever won the war (BTW it wasn't by having no rules, no standards and no discipline).

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Sounds like you both think this excellent system won't work because we (The FA and EPL) ar too shit to make anything work. So what would you prefer? Carry on with 'referee's whimsy'?

Until the technology is at a stage where it works properly then yes, I would carry on as we are now.

There are still fundermental problems with VAR. Let’s leave it for other leagues to perfect the system before we introduce a half baked version of it here which is bound to fail. :shrug:

Although if I’m honest I think there are problems that can’t be fixed with it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would work if it was decided that the VAR decision was the final outcome. Refs wouldnt want that so will make more effort to get it right in the first place so that VAR would not over rule them

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005

My view is that it won't work well if the English referees sabotage it.....

Sometimes I wonder how we ever won the war (BTW it wasn't by having no rules, no standards and no discipline).

I just don’t think the benefit of getting slightly more (and that’s all it will be) decisions right outweighs ruining goal celebrations for fans. So many goals will be a case or waiting for a VAR decision to be given rather than for the ball to hit the net. I think it will ruin football.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
It would work if it was decided that the VAR decision was the final outcome. Refs wouldnt want that so will make more effort to get it right in the first place so that VAR would not over rule them

What do you mean " Refs wouldn't want that so will make more effort to get it right in the first place" ? How can they make more effort ?

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I thought the idea of VAR was to check the validity of all goals, among other things, and if so why were the penalties at Burnley, Man Utd & Newcastle not retaken as players from both sides had encroached in the area.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

How long did it take everyone to get to and back from Cardiff? Would a one minute delay to see us get a point be that painful? Really? Same at Burnley. As for getting home one minute earlier with one point rather than three against Leicester? That one minute was important to everyone’s life.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just don’t think the benefit of getting slightly more (and that’s all it will be) decisions right outweighs ruining goal celebrations for fans. So many goals will be a case or waiting for a VAR decision to be given rather than for the ball to hit the net. I think it will ruin football.

Fair enough (and [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]).

I agree with your main point; as I have said, if the refs consciously or subconsciously sabotage it (so easy to do) then the long faff is inevitable. We can't have decisions taking 5 minutes (and with some of the clowns reffing at the moment this is a strong possibility). However, my expectation is that if this happens then the process will be tweaked.

My expectation, also, is that I don't think this will be Brexitty (with the public split roughly 50:50, with a loud and militant contingent in each camp). I think people will come on board pretty quickly onnce they see it in action week after week. MOTD won't be going over shocking decisions like it does now. Instead it will be showing how without VAR there would have been a shocking decision.

Anyway, by this time next year, unless the FA doesn't bottle it and not introduce it, we shall know for sure :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought the idea of VAR was to check the validity of all goals, among other things, and if so why were the penalties at Burnley, Man Utd & Newcastle not retaken as players from both sides had encroached in the area.

Fabregas' should have been a free kick as he stopped in his run up which is not allowed. Poor refereeing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here