Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Link not working for me I'm afraid.

I am worried for Christian though, Wigan seem to be on a downward slope and conceding a lot of goals. A big test of chaaracter for him, seeing how he deals with it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sounds like he has spent far too much time away from Ben Roberts' coaching over the last 2 seasons.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Link not working for me I'm afraid.

I am worried for Christian though, Wigan seem to be on a downward slope and conceding a lot of goals. A big test of chaaracter for him, seeing how he deals with it.

Strange as it work for me. They ask if there was room in Burns' car for Walton as he inspires no confidence in the defence.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Time to bring him back , i read we called Sanchez back to cover Button & Steele so with Walton and Matty thats 5 keepers is Maenpaa gone or on loan...?? If they see potential in Walton then he should be brought back and improved no....??

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maenpaa is now at Bristol City and apparently doing rather well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Time to bring him back , i read we called Sanchez back to cover Button & Steele so with Walton and Matty thats 5 keepers is Maenpaa gone or on loan...?? If they see potential in Walton then he should be brought back and improved no....??
Maenpaa is long gone. He didn't sign a new deal and is now first choice(?) for Bristol City.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Strange as it work for me. They ask if there was room in Burns' car for Walton as he inspires no confidence in the defence.

Well I think that as soon as a defence starts conceding a lot of goals, the first person most fans look at is the keeper. Walton hasn't been in this position before, he is still young and fairly inexperienced, so maybe he isn't dealing with it too well.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009

Sanchez had lost his place at Forest Green. Walton may be struggling. You can see why CH likes to have 3 experienced goalies in the 25.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sounds like he has spent far too much time away from Ben Roberts' coaching over the last 2 seasons.

Exactly what I was going to say.

The benefit of going somewhere tinpot like Wigan is that he gets game time. The down side is that everything else is tin pot.

I'd like to see him back with us next season just to benefit from the setup. Might be third choice behind Button but would prefer one of our own to Steele.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I suppose all players have to go through a period where it doesn't go so well for them and they lose confidence - rare is the player who makes it to the top without going through a spell like that. Hope Christian knuckles down and works hard, and the experience will be good for him

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Exactly what I was going to say.

The benefit of going somewhere tinpot like Wigan is that he gets game time. The down side is that everything else is tin pot.

I'd like to see him back with us next season just to benefit from the setup. Might be third choice behind Button but would prefer one of our own to Steele.

Whilst not having the facilities that we enjoy, nor playing to the same level, describing Wigan as 'tinpot' is more than a tad harsh!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whilst not having the facilities that we enjoy, nor playing to the same level, describing Wigan as 'tinpot' is more than a tad harsh!

It really isn't. They're up there with Reading in the "teams I wouldn't miss if they were gone" stakes.

It's a Rugby League town that had a football club tacked on. For years they were non-league until they got elected to the League and did not much at all. Then they were bought by a tracksuit salesman, quite apt given their fan base consists of 5000 racists in bad McKenzie gear.

Since relegation from the Prem they've done **** all except yo-yo between League One and the Championship, suggesting that they don't exactly employ the Gloalkeeper Coach of the Year on their staff.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
It is simply reality kicking in for some fans that had assertions way beyond Wigan capability. Were always going to have a tough period and inevitable that the defensive structures would come under most scrutiny. I don't think in any way he has gone backwards. He was excellent for them last season.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Sanchez had lost his place at Forest Green. Walton may be struggling. You can see why CH likes to have 3 experienced goalies in the 25.

Tbf Sanchez didn’t ‘lose’ his position. Cooper rotated almost every week and over the festive period Montgomery was given a few more games. From what I’ve seen, as a big of FGR, Sanchez was the superior goalkeeper.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Always the risk of sending players out on loan , they could learn bad practices & if on a bad run lose moral & confidence , balancing the positives against potential negatives always going to be a tough decision.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It really isn't. They're up there with Reading in the "teams I wouldn't miss if they were gone" stakes.

It's a Rugby League town that had a football club tacked on. For years they were non-league until they got elected to the League and did not much at all. Then they were bought by a tracksuit salesman, quite apt given their fan base consists of 5000 racists in bad McKenzie gear.

Since relegation from the Prem they've done **** all except yo-yo between League One and the Championship, suggesting that they don't exactly employ the Gloalkeeper Coach of the Year on their staff.

I would refute this having had a long-time connection theresome years ago. The football team got bigger crowds than the rugby team once Wigan had reached the Championship. Smug me thought he could rock up and get tickets for a game one time, but they had sold out. A well-located stadium, and a decent infrastructure. Sadly Whelan decided that employing old scholl nobber managers was the way forward. Funny how being a shit manager and being a Holocaust denier sometimes go hand in hand. Who would have known? ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seems to be a pattern with our young GKs on loan. Sanchez was getting rave reviews from Forest Green fans early on, but later started getting heavy criticism, with calls for him to be replaced by 'their own' GK.

Didn't know until now that he'd been recalled. Can he/will he be returned to FGR at the end of the month?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here