Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] The Big Short - a fine telling of the financial crisis story

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Currently on Amazon Prime. Some great performances, and a reasonable telling of sub prime loans, securities, CDOs etc. Cracking film as well, an impressive cast.

If you still think Labour were responsible for the financial crash and the bank bail outs in 2008, it's probably not for you. :hilton:

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Currently on Amazon Prime. Some great performances, and a reasonable telling of sub prime loans, securities, CDOs etc. Cracking film as well, an impressive cast.

If you still think Labour were responsible for the financial crash and the bank bail outs in 2008, it's probably not for you. :hilton:
Was it the tories

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Very good film, worth watching....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Funnily enough it's another one of those things that people with very little understanding of, seem to have very strong opinions on.

I wonder how that happens :angel:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like it is happening again already, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market-data

The last 4-5 months have seen steady falls in share prices around the world, the Perfect Storm is coming again..... and just in time for Brexit !

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The book is utterly brilliant.

Even a financial incompetent like me could follow it...and really enjoy the hilarious writing.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Interesting, perhaps Ed Balls shouldn’t have apologised in Parliament due to the part the Labour Govt played in mishandling of UK financial services.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/sep/12/mps-shocked-ed-balls-says-sorry

All the indulgment of RBS, the facilitation of sub prime U.K. mortgages, the loading of buy to let mortgages, the rise and rise of the 125% and last but not least the fundamentalist belief that Labour’s economic policy had abolished the cycle of boom and bust.

You stick to the films, evidently the facts concerning the cause and effects of the 2008 crash in the U.K. is not for you.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I worked (and still do) in the markets which crashed so massively during those times.

I love Michael Lewis and it’s a great film, but I think it loses some of its edge by presenting the Steve Carell character as some kind of moral crusader. This guy was shorting the shit out of the sub prime market - short sellers are the main creators of panic in a declining market and he took massive advantage. Perfectly legal but morally questionable?

I’m getting more and more concerned it’s going to happen again given some of the garbage in the structured credit market at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All the indulgment of RBS, the facilitation of sub prime U.K. mortgages, the loading of buy to let mortgages, the rise and rise of the 125% and last but not least the fundamentalist belief that Labour’s economic policy had abolished the cycle of boom and bust.

yes, the accusation isnt they were responsible for the crash, but they had believed they were responsible for some economic alchemy, and they had budgeted years of spending increases on the back of this.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I worked (and still do) in the markets which crashed so massively during those times.

I love Michael Lewis and it’s a great film, but I think it loses some of its edge by presenting the Steve Carell character as some kind of moral crusader. This guy was shorting the shit out of the sub prime market - short sellers are the main creators of panic in a declining market and he took massive advantage. Perfectly legal but morally questionable?

I’m getting more and more concerned it’s going to happen again given some of the garbage in the structured credit market at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw it a while ago, and my memory is dire, but I really have no recollection of the Carell character presented as such. From memory again, it didn't exactly portray any of those within the industry as pleasant, something which you might find problematic.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I saw it a while ago, and my memory is dire, but I really have no recollection of the Carell character presented as such. From memory again, it didn't exactly portray any of those within the industry as pleasant, something which you might find problematic.

moral crusader might be strong but Carell character definatly portrayed as someone trying to teach banking a lesson. they (the real life people) were all in it for the riches.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
yes, the accusation isnt they were responsible for the crash, but they had believed they were responsible for some economic alchemy, and they had budgeted years of spending increases on the back of this.

I certainly wouldnt argue that they were the root cause, as with all crashes the root cause is rapacious greed
facilitated via the capitalist system. It would have been no different had the tories been in charge, but then Labour under Blair/Brown were tories.

There were specific policy decision made by Labour around this time that meant the impact was more severe in the IK than it needed to be, and as a consequence the cost of bailing out the banks was greater, as was the resultant austerity.

The FCA were directed to take a light touch approach to regulation, a position that Brown congratulated himself on in his 2007 mansion house speech, a speech that also thanked the city for their contribution to the UK’s growth. No mention of bonuses etc. in that one.

This light touch meant RBS acquired ABN AMRO without meaningful due diligence, Bradford and Bingley had a mortgage book with over 50% of loans self certificated and Norhern Rock pimping its 125% mortgage.

The failings of Labour were laid bare in the subsequent reports on RBS and the failures of NR and B&B.......those who think Labour did not pkay a part in how the crisis occurred here are simply mad.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I certainly wouldnt argue that they were the root cause, as with all crashes the root cause is rapacious greed
facilitated via the capitalist system. It would have been no different had the tories been in charge, but then Labour under Blair/Brown were tories.

There were specific policy decision made by Labour around this time that meant the impact was more severe in the IK than it needed to be, and as a consequence the cost of bailing out the banks was greater, as was the resultant austerity.

The FCA were directed to take a light touch approach to regulation, a position that Brown congratulated himself on in his 2007 mansion house speech, a speech that also thanked the city for their contribution to the UK’s growth. No mention of bonuses etc. in that one.

This light touch meant RBS acquired ABN AMRO without meaningful due diligence, Bradford and Bingley had a mortgage book with over 50% of loans self certificated and Norhern Rock pimping its 125% mortgage.

The failings of Labour were laid bare in the subsequent reports on RBS and the failures of NR and B&B.......those who think Labour did not pkay a part in how the crisis occurred here are simply mad.
Think this sums it up. Labour following Tory party to get into power. The policies followed to get into power opened us up to the full pain. Lucky we had Tory light rather than the full fat capitalism version at that time or it could have been much worse. The 90s version was very painful.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting, perhaps Ed Balls shouldn’t have apologised in Parliament due to the part the Labour Govt played in mishandling of UK financial services.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/sep/12/mps-shocked-ed-balls-says-sorry

You stick to the films, evidently the facts concerning the cause and effects of the 2008 crash in the U.K. is not for you.

:lolol:

The best straw man on these boards. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
:lolol:

The best straw man on these boards. :thumbsup:

Having worked with [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION], and knowing what he still does for a living, I'm aware he has a very intimate working knowledge of the regulation of financial markets and firms that operate within it. He lives and breathes it at a level I could not imagine, nor want to deal with.

I'm not sure anyone could really make a case that the UK financial sector was adequately prepared for what unfolded. I understand why you personally would like to see the Labour government as entirely blameless but, respectfully, I think you're wrong.

Did they cause the global financial crash? Of course not.
Was their lack of governance responsible for elements of the impacts of that on the UK? Abso-bloody-lutely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here