Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
There’s not much on at the moment I’m keen on. Beautiful Boy looks good though.

Apart from having to look at Steve Carell for so long. Saying that, i made the blunder of heading off early from work on Saturday and going to see Glass, on a blinking IMAX screen. Jeez. M Night Shyamalam, for me, is a sh*t Brian DePalma, who as we know is a sh*t Alfred Hitchcock. Split i quite enjoyed, but that just seems to be because of James McAvoy, and whilst he is of course in this, we still allow the unstoppably dour Bruce Willis to be involved, with a shark-eyed son, and some unfitting blather from a not very deep psychologist. I mean, if you're to hold captive 3 superbeings, who aren't hugely mighty really, with one nurse in the day and one at night, and seemingly no security, you're not doing your job correctly at all.
I have seen too many of his films, M Night, and they are mostly bobbins. Mary Bobbins.
But McAvoy is still good. I am sure you planned to avoid it, and i would say you are right to.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Just seen this. It is not an enjoyable watch but it is powerful, I am not a father but I can imagine for a parent watching this it would be even more difficult to watch. Really well acted and one to watch when you are in the right frame of mind.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Bumblebee this afternoon and very pleasantly surprised. Never going to win any awards, but I found it an entertaining film, and much better than I think all the other Transformers films - which have been too smashy/hard to work out what's occurring in battle scenes, when robots are smashing the heck out of each other. This film seemed to have a better sense of humour at the premise, and is more about relationships. It is set before the other Transformers films (and indeed doesn't include the T word in the title) and is basically the prequel to them all.

Think it might be Destroyer (Nicole Kidman) next week for me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Beautiful Boy blew me away when I saw it at the cinema. Brilliant and moving if not much fun.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Went to see Stan & Ollie today.

NO SPOILERS IN THE FOLLOWING.

It started off uncertainly, but boy, it becomes a brilliant movie. Don’t expect to see a chronological bio of the pair’s career. Instead, this is a poignant and bittersweet story about part of their careers.

Incredible performances by John C Reilly and especially Steve Coogan. The latter as good as anything I’ve ever seen. Is SC in line for an Oscar? He bloody well should be. I had tears in my eyes at the end, what a beautiful film.

See it at the cinema while you can!

9/10.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Saw Stan and Ollie with Mrs V today, very impressed with the performances and the script. It's essentially a love story that works on many levels with incredible performances by the two leads. The film has great moments of laughter and some very poignant moments with Stan and Ollies symbiotic working relationship. Fair to say I had a tear or two in my eye at various points, it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Love your review, it’s how I felt too.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Escape Room
There is a 2017 film on Netflix called Escape Room. It is terrible, makes no sense. Has story threads that are just dropped. It's like it saw how Saw expanded on it's main villain's backstory without understanding how it was basically stapling story onto story. So they've set up a villain they intend on revealing more about over coming films, without any base level of info, or any sense that there will actually be any sequels. This 2019 film of the same name had a trailer that made it look much better. It was not much better, only slightly so. There was more explanation for the seleciton of the contestants, more of an explanation for the bad guy behind the game. Still some nonsensical threads of the story, and lame 'twists' that don't actually mean anything.

Ralph Breaks the Internet
Eh. It was ok. Fun in patches (I particularly enjoyed the scenes with the Disney Princesses), but not as good as the first.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bohemian Rhapsody
I've been reluctant to watch this. I had no doubt I would enjoy it simply for the music. My issue was with the reports surrounding Bryan Singer and the troubled production with Sacha Baron Cohen quitting over 'creative differences' making it seem like it was some rose-tinted puff piece of a movie. Hearing complaints from others about the inaccuracies/narrative choices, and the supposed whitewashing of his homosexuality, made me more confident in my decision not to go.
But it was nominated for an Oscar and I've seen most of the others/will see them before the ceremony that I felt I had to put those issues aside and go see the film. Predictably I very much enjoyed the music. I don't consider myself an expert in Queen's story. I've seen a couple of documentaries about them/Freddie, but wouldn't have been able to say something was right or wrong. I don't know if it was a fault of the film, or simply knowing others had picked up on these slight differences (Freddie only hearing about AIDS in the build up to Live Aid, then only confirming he had it in the days before the show, timeline of success in America, etc) but it felt at times that the progressions/timings were too neat, making it feel more contrived. Put the music to one side, and it is a pretty bog-standard, by-the-numbers music biopic. Also, the Live age stage was distractingly clean.

It did make me want to watch Live Aid again. Also, I have only just discovered John Deacon (who I thought was pretty great) was played by the boy from Jurassic Park.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The Vanishing.

Not to be confused with the excellent 1988 noir, this tense and violent suggested solution to the unsolved Flannan Isles Lighthouse mystery of 1900.

Always been an fan of the menacing Peter Mullan, and some cameo appearances from a couple of well known Scandi actors. Not too keen on Butler though.

Recommended.....34.7 / 39
MV5BMTg4MTEyNjE1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzUxMDM4NjM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If Beale Street Could Talk
Went to a cineworld unlimited screening of this. It was good, not sure I see why Regina King is getting Oscar buzz (nothing wrong with her performance, it just didn't feel like there was much there for her to do). It's a slice of life story film, it's not one where you get big scenes. I don't mean there's no action (there isn't, but it's a drama, not an action film I wouldn't expect that), it doesn't feel like there's big 'moment' to it, no 'this is what we've been building to...', it just continues along like life. Some funny moments (the basic story is about a wrongly imprisoned young black man and his young girlfriend discover she is pregnant, and her family and (some of) his are trying to get him released), the funniest for me was when the young girl and her family host his family for the evening to tell them about her pregnancy. A highlight for me.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The green book. Saw it at my local cinema last night. What a film. Brilliantly acted, great story. 9/10

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The green book. Saw it at my local cinema last night. What a film. Brilliantly acted, great story. 9/10

Totally agree. Great chemistry between the leads and it really was funny.

Also, it shouldn't need to be said, but How to Train a Dragon 3 is a work of art if that type of film tickles your fancy.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'll give the dragon a look. I think you hit the nail on the head. They bounced off each other in the film. great casting.

Totally agree. Great chemistry between the leads and it really was funny.

Also, it shouldn't need to be said, but How to Train a Dragon 3 is a work of art if that type of film tickles your fancy.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
The Favourite

Decent acting and Emma Stone is adorable and talented but 12 bafta nomination worthy ? No, not for me. Style over substance but the typical film the critics all wet themselves over. A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody are far better films overall. The Favourite had some good scenes but the last half hour dragged to the point of thinking, when is this going to end ? 74 out of 100 ( for acting prowess )

I really enjoyed it, but then I am a bit of a pervert. 7.5 inches / 10.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Agree. Loved it. Went in not knowing anything about it and really enjoyed it. Great turns from the two Oscar nominees.
Also enjoyed The Mule. Undemanding but gently entertaining.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Can you forgive me? Really, really enjoyed this, based on a true story and it was very well acted. Give it a go one and all.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Another vote for the Green Book which I saw this afternoon.

Humour within the social issues of the time combined with the growing relationship of the two lead actors along their journey.

Really enjoyable

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here