Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
So, Boxing Day was so grim so I was glad I had a ticket to see the latest version of Little Women.
I expected the DOYs to be empty-ish. No public transport, permit parking, pissing down, but nope, it was packed and a really good atmosphere.
Thought the film was great, loved the way it mixed up the story with LMA's life.
I love Saoirse Ronan, but Laura Dern's portrayal of their mother was exceptional (imho)
8/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Little Women. Brighton Marina 80% full. A great and sumptous film with amazing perfromances especially from Saoirse Ronan. She is a special talent and a beautiful score from Alexandre Desplat who wrote the wonderful Shape of Water music as well. A great chance of a back to back Oscar for him. It rates an 85 out of 100. Best film of the year so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sD...FQOlxLhQmjNu8ZcMS2S9oO0ScgLsmo0ammi0UUiZYMYK4

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So it started for me this evening, the London Film Festival, and as with most years, it started well - probably because i am not too tired from it all to take in what i'm watching. This time around it was the Russian film Beanpole. I mean, in the name of all of bleeding heavens it was the usual concoction of searingly beautiful and shockingly horrific, but for me it reached its peak too early with this mix. A mere 15 minutes or so into this drama something so severe happens that i, and the film, couldn't quite recover. It was very well done, and horribly intrusive, but it was that type of film with a hard existence quite in your face. Thank god for a few comedic moments, and some troublesome romance to steer you from a traumatic syndrome experienced by so many. The walls in 1945 Leningrad are painted a slightly dulled blood red, but apparently there's a truth in that to counter the deadened feeling and deep struggle post-war, to imitate the feeling of life. But life itself, particularly for women as this drama portrays, will take a long to be resuscitated.
Overall, it was pretty good and a difficult watch, but with a style that mostly intrigued. The acting was great and the hugely tall actress playing Beanpole i found quite beautiful.
I look forward to tomorrow for a couple of films that should strike a little softer.

Planned for this afternoon's viewing. Looking forward to a smile and a giggle.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve only just got round to seeing Tarantinos Once Upon a Time

What a pile of poop that is...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’ve only just got round to seeing Tarantinos Once Upon a Time

What a pile of poop that is...

I was underwhelmed as well, but I went into it only having a sketchy knowledge of the Manson family murders.

Having since read up on it and armed with that knowledge now, I'm going to give that movie another go some time. Tarantino films often stand up better after a second viewing, Reservoir Dogs being a classic example for me. Saw it at the cinema and was disappointed after the hype. Yet now its one of my favourite films of all time, one I've probably watched 6-7 times now over the years.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was underwhelmed as well, but I went into it only having a sketchy knowledge of the Manson family murders.

Having since read up on it and armed with that knowledge now, I'm going to give that movie another go some time. Tarantino films often stand up better after a second viewing, Reservoir Dogs being a classic example for me. Saw it at the cinema and was disappointed after the hype. Yet now its one of my favourite films of all time, one I've probably watched 6-7 times now over the years.

I really don’t get the film at all. He got away with the alternate history trick in Inglorious, (just) but not this time.
The whole film was flimsy.
Ok so what if Charles Manson mates went to the wrong house ?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

I felt the opposite about Reservoir Dogs, it absolutely blew me away on the big screen, a level of cinematic violence and innovative filmmaking I’d never experienced before. Watching it since, the impact is inevitably less, but it remains an excellent and landmark film, only slightly tarnished by Tarantino’s appalling acting. He really should have stayed behind the camera.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really don’t get the film at all. He got away with the alternate history trick in Inglorious, (just) but not this time.
The whole film was flimsy.
Ok so what if Charles Manson mates went to the wrong house ?

My problem with it was it just kind of meanders on and on, with not a great deal actually happening. Plot-wise its very flimsy, as you say. I'll give it another go though some day, when I see it knocking about on a movie channel.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I felt the opposite about Reservoir Dogs, it absolutely blew me away on the big screen, a level of cinematic violence and innovative filmmaking I’d never experienced before. Watching it since, the impact is inevitably less, but it remains an excellent and landmark film, only slightly tarnished by Tarantino’s appalling acting. He really should have stayed behind the camera.

Its definitely in my all time top 5, I just love the dialogue and performances in it, aside from QT himself who is no great shakes - thankfully he gave himself a pretty minor role and left the acting to the big boys. Buscemi and Madsen absolutely shine.

Tarantino is always quite self-indulgent in his movies though, giving himself roles and dedicating lots of irrelevant screen time to his weird foot fetish.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Has film 2019 been resurrected as film 2020 would fail trading standards ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hollywood although not his best still beats 95% of anything other directors put out. Tarantino is a master of film making

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hollywood although not his best still beats 95% of anything other directors put out. Tarantino is a master of film making

Yes but his last film was shit. Wax lyrical if you want but you’re wasting your time on that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hollywood was very much QT's personal homage piece to the time and city.

Chances are it would have been a bit better if most of Quentin's films weren't an homage to something or another.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I loved the bit with Bruce Lee though. That was probably the highlight.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
We watched The Professor and The Madman the other night.
Mel Gibson and Sean Penn
Enjoyed it.
8/10

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

If you genuinely believed that, why aren't called Uncle Tarantino ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
If you genuinely believed that, why aren't called Uncle Tarantino ?

Or Uncle Quentin? Then you get a bonus Enid Blyton reference as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A Simple Favour:

Homely and helpful widow Anna Kendrick befriends wild and unconventional Blake Lively after meeting at the school gates. Blake Lively’s character disappears and turns up....dead. Anna Kemdrick’s Stephanie turns detective and uncovers an unexpected past.
Directed by Bridesmaids director Paul Fieges but this is no rom com. Dark and twisty. Stephanie we find out has shagged her half brother and BL’s character likes a threesome.

It also has a rather breathy French soundtrack which I liked.

I really rather enjoyed it. Not least because I’d like to kiss Lively on the face. Twice.

Entertaining, well made and well acted. I give it 6/10. And a kiss on the face.

Anna Kendrick is just lovely, don't tell Mrs Crodo. I can even sit through the Pitch Perfect movies to watch her. :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here