Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Avengers: Endgame
I went to a midnight showing in the early hours of today. It was the busiest midnight opening I've been to since The Force Awakens. No spoilers, but I absolutely loved it. I wasn't alone. There were multiple moments that received cheers, applause, gasps, laughs, tears. There are references to previous films, and I imagine there may be one or two people who will say that they didn't enjoy the film as much because these things went over their head, but really, that's like going to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt2 without watching any of the films before it then complaining that you don't get it.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
A Beautiful Boy - A well put together film that conveys the desperate nature of drug addiction. Just make sure you've just won the lottery before you watch it. 7/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Second viewing, this time without the audience that are so hyped up excited they have to go to the first available viewing. Fewer cheers/gasps/applause, but still some. And I still loved it.

FYI - there are no scenes during or after the end credits.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Second viewing, this time without the audience that are so hyped up excited they have to go to the first available viewing. Fewer cheers/gasps/applause, but still some. And I still loved it.

FYI - there are no scenes during or after the end credits.
Apparently at the very end (for those whose bladders aren't fit to burst by then) there's a "noise" which hints at the next MCU "phase", A:E being virtually the end of MCU 3. I'm seeing the film tomorrow and won't be hanging around for it!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Apparently at the very end (for those whose bladders aren't fit to burst by then) there's a "noise" which hints at the next MCU "phase", A:E being virtually the end of MCU 3. I'm seeing the film tomorrow and won't be hanging around for it!

The noise is Tony Stark constructing the iron man suit from the first film. Just a nod to that. Not worth staying for.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003

Having just listened to Kermode's "no spoilers" review of Endgame, I'm glad I watched this epic last night.

Marvel movies span my son's childhood and seeing this last night with Mrs Oscar and our now 16-year-old son was emotional in the sense it felt like a real end of an era.

Three hours of tragedy, comedy, nostalgia and action with some heist antics thrown in for good measure.

9/10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Went to Endgame last night. Earlier in the day my little brother had said: Funny bits. Awful bits. Exhausting.
I'd go along with him over the funny bits. Some tickled well. That was a bit of a relief as i wasn't feeling particularly emotional of this saga and i felt there was an overlong dourness to it, rather than getting on with the action. Some big moments and mightily explosive, but i left with an air of nonchalance that has been with me throughout most of this franchise. Tony Stark is a painful character to watch and withstand, i find. Anyway, that's that for now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

How can an adult get excited about this crap?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
How can an adult get excited about this crap?
Exactly! We beat a hasty retreat, leaving the saddos in place to hear whatever sound it was.

Saw my film #53 of 2019 (keeping track this year, inspired by the #100filmsin2019 "challenge" I saw on Facebook at the start of the year) today - Red Joan. Quite a different proposition to A:E, it is a story inspired by true events, of an elderly lady arrested for breaking the official secrets act, sharing atom bomb plans with the Russians during WW2. Judi Dench stars as the present day Joan Smith, looking every day of her 84 years old, with Sophie Cookson excellent as the young version of Judi's character, at university in Cambridge as war breaks out.

A subtle, slow-burning performance and story which intrigued and absorbed. Suspect it will go under most people's radar, but worth seeking out while you can, before Thanos and his gang take over the screening time!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I saw that the other week. I'm a huge fan of Woody Harrelson and I like Costner but I thought this was very poor. The first thing I have seen Harreslon in I haven't liked for a long time.

Same as me. The two detectives were dull. I wanted to follow Bonnie and Clyde. Yeah I know it was from the other viewpoint but:yawn::yawn::yawn:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The Spy Gone North

Excellent, twisty turny (true story) spy yarn from Korea with a great insight into politics, morals, ethics and beliefs.

Still 100% on RT.

12.4 / 13.3 for me. Great.

TSGN.JPG

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m off to see a double bill of The Sisters Brothers and Tolkien today. Both of which I’m very much looking forward to.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tolkien.

Hmm. The war scenes were done well but overall it was a bit Dead Poets Society. It just wasn’t that engaging or interesting. Which I found odd given the life he lead.

Not great. 4/10

I’ve just signed up to the Limitless thing at Odeon, I think it’s good value. 17.99 a month and see as many as you like. Not my favourite cinemas but I figure if I go twice a month, I’m up.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Long Shot

Seth Rogan, Charlise Theron.

Don't believe the reviews. This is a strange, muddled film that is just oddly unfunny from start to finish. Avoid. 2/10

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Eighth grade- A brilliant coming of age film looking at the anxiety felt by a teenager living in a media/phone/youtube saturated world. I thought this was superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here