Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Gemini Man
It was a decent, if unspectacular, action movie. Having seen de-aging done so well in multiple Marvel movies, and in the Tron sequel almost a decade ago, it's surprising to see how poor it's done in a film that is being largely sold off the fact it includes a "young" Will Smith. I don't know the exact CG science behind it, but it feels like Marvel and Disney start from a base of a real person, and use the computer to remove the signs of aging. It feels like it is still them, the voice is coming out of the head we see. With this, while there were some scenes that looked like they were made that way, the overwhelming majority of them felt like they got a body double and used an animated version of a younger Will Smith and stuck it on someone else's body. That led to two problems, first, the technology isn't there yet, and it looked video game-ish, two, there is a disconnect - the voice you hear isn't coming from the head you see, it's a dubbing (yeah, I know most films involve looping and recording after the fact, but it is usually based on sound levels and simply recording the same thing that the person in the video is saying). But that aside, like I said at the start, a decent enough action flick.

I've just watched and enjoyed it. Only noticed one odd CGI scene, and that didn't relate to the two Wills. It wasn't "deep", but there was enough besides the chases and fight scenes to keep it interesting. Some lovely locations. Worth a fiver with the "Monday Super Saver".

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I've just watched and enjoyed it. Only noticed one odd CGI scene, and that didn't relate to the two Wills. It wasn't "deep", but there was enough besides the chases and fight scenes to keep it interesting. Some lovely locations. Worth a fiver with the "Monday Super Saver".

The main issue a lot of people have was the space monkeys moment. It was a wtf moment I agree but was a rationale as to why Brad carried on as the captain as the other captain was a complete melt so he had no choice but to take over, hence the mars landing so I do think there was a point to that scene

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Even if you did not relate to the premise the cinematography and musical score were stunnlngly brilliant so for that alone I would argue it is worth a look for anyone

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The main issue a lot of people have was the space monkeys moment. It was a wtf moment I agree but was a rationale as to why Brad carried on as the captain as the other captain was a complete melt so he had no choice but to take over, hence the mars landing so I do think there was a point to that scene

Even if you did not relate to the premise the cinematography and musical score were stunnlngly brilliant so for that alone I would argue it is worth a look for anyone

I was replying to Acker's post about Gemini Man, not Ad Astra

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I was replying to Acker's post about Gemini Man, not Ad Astra

Took me a moment to realise that. I was thinking "I don't remember space monkeys in gemini man!"

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
After seeing Gemini Man on Monday (not bad, CGI very good apart from towards the end, but very up and down in terms of story and progression: action then dull talky bit then action then dull talky bit...etc.) today I went to see The Day Shall Come, Chris Morris's new one. Enjoyable, quirky and some smart lines which are underplayed to good effect.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saw Joker this afternoon without really knowing what to expect, but its comfortably my favourite film of the year so far. The performance from Phoenix is astonishing. He's on screen pretty much constantly the whole two hours, and I found him utterly mesmerising. A damaged individual with severe mental health issues, who is ground into the dirt by his environment and the people he shares it with. Its set some time in the 80s, and Gotham looks like a gruesomely run-down grubby NYC of that time, to which our character fits right in. Its remorselessly grim, there is almost zero light relief and there are clear echoes of Taxi Driver throughout.

The emergence of Joker from this chaos is frighteningly, convincingly realised by Phoenix. A wretched, pitiful, terrifying figure, he carries the film from start to finish as there's not really much of a plot to speak of. No big set pieces, no flashy CGI, its not about that. Its a close-up look at a descent into madness, and IMO, its brilliant.

93%.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Okay, I love sci-fi, and also went to see Ad Astra today, and was very disappointed.
Spoiler - Brad never goes "to the stars".
There was a lot of nonsense. In no particular order... he climbs into the airlock of a rocket in a silo, as the countdown is descending through "5..4..3...". So one of the crew already on board decides to shoot him, misses, hits a cannister of some deadly gas, which escapes and kills those not wearing a spacesuit (i.e. those that aren't Brad). As a stowaway, he's the only crew-member left alive for the flight from Mars to Neptune.
On the moon, there's a shoot-up between him and unknown (or did I nod off) other spacemen on golf-carts. Brad's "rover" flies over the edge of a huge crater, and just carries on when it hits the bottom.
On an urgent 79 day flight to Neptune, he flies really close to Jupiter and Saturn. Did the planets just happen to line up? Brad seems to inject himself with some sort of bag - for urine while he hibernates? No, he's awake and floating, slowly going nuts.
Of course, Brad's mad, bad dad is at the centre of problems on the Neptune space station, hasn't been heard from in 30 years, and is assumed to be dead. He isn't but kills himself soon after Brad arrives. That really dealt with the issues.
Final spoiler - he triggers a nuclear explosion, to stop the "mysterious power surges that threaten the stability of the universe" ... and his spaceship "surfs" the blast-wave, taking him back to Earth.
Oh, and the en-route diversion to a ship transmitting a mayday signal - the crew have been killed by some sort of space monkeys. Totally irrelevant to the story.
Sorry, but the more I think about it, the worse it gets. Beautifully filmed, well acted, but a ridiculous plot.
If I ever watch it again, it will only be to put the above list in sequence and to add all the other stupid bits I missed.

Spot on! Ludicrous plot without any attempt to stay the right side of credibility.

The bit that really got me was the attack on Brad’s moon buggy. What on earth do they want? Another moon buggy? They’ve got six (?) already!

In that environment even the smallest mistake means certain death. If there’s one place you’d expect cooperation by all inhabitants it’s the moon......

Also amazing that Brad’s super-intelligent father couldn’t figure out how to stop the pulses from his ship destroying the Earth/Universe after umpteen years brooding!?

Last, but certainly not least, Brad’s trip back to his own ship with just a metal panel protecting him from the umpteen bits of rock in the asteroid belt flying around at high speed.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Spot on! Ludicrous plot without any attempt to stay the right side of credibility.

The bit that really got me was the attack on Brad’s moon buggy. What on earth do they want? Another moon buggy? They’ve got six (?) already!

In that environment even the smallest mistake means certain death. If there’s one place you’d expect cooperation by all inhabitants it’s the moon......

Also amazing that Brad’s super-intelligent father couldn’t figure out how to stop the pulses from his ship destroying the Earth/Universe after umpteen years brooding!?

Last, but certainly not least, Brad’s trip back to his own ship with just a metal panel protecting him from the umpteen bits of rock in the asteroid belt flying around at high speed.....

I loved this film not for the science of it all I loved it for the loss of a dad, a disconnect. I loved it as it resonated very deeply wiith me. I thought it was a magnificent work. I think Ad Astra was an amazing film. Best this year by far

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I loved this film not for the science of it all I loved it for the loss of a dad, a disconnect. I loved it as it resonated very deeply wiith me. I thought it was a magnificent work. I think Ad Astra was an amazing film. Best this year by far

We’ll have to agree to disagree then. I thought the exploration of Brad’s “issues” with his father was minimalist at best.

Perhaps a bit more time with Tommy Lee Jones and a bit less of Brad mumbling his commitment to the mission on his psych-evaluations would have helped?

A good movie should pay attention to all aspects of its making and the basic ingredients and premise of the plot narrative were so ridiculous as to negate any plus points for me.

Each to their own however......!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Peanut Butter Falcon.

Shia LaBeouf and Zack Gottsagan play a man on run form justice and a man on the run form a care home where his Down’s syndrome has him treated like a child/old person, respectively.
A simple story, beautifully told with some lovely homages to Twain.
Shia gives a career best and Zack is a joy to watch.
I liked this. One of the best trips to the cinema in a while. Certainly better than the hugely overhyped Joker on the drama stakes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cinecity Brighton Film Festival is up next month. The line up has been released - opens with The Lighthouse, closes with Jojo Rabbit, and in the middle some of the stand outs for me are Judy and Punch, The Nightingale, Knives Out, and East Side Story.

http://www.cine-city.co.uk/whats-on/

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The Peanut Butter Falcon.

Shia LaBeouf and Zack Gottsagan play a man on run form justice and a man on the run form a care home where his Down’s syndrome has him treated like a child/old person, respectively.
A simple story, beautifully told with some lovely homages to Twain.
Shia gives a career best and Zack is a joy to watch.
I liked this. One of the best trips to the cinema in a while. Certainly better than the hugely overhyped Joker on the drama stakes.

Thanks for the heads up. This one looks interesting.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I rated it. It’s touching without being overly mawkish. It’s not showing in that many places but Odeon are showing it at midday for the next few days.

It's also showing at the duke of york's as the evening film for the next few days at least.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's also showing at the duke of york's as the evening film for the next few days at least.

Ah cool. A much nicer cinema but I have one of those odeon limitless cards so I tend to go there 9/10 times. It’s a struggle at times to find good pictures to watch there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can you please name a good independent cinema within a train ride of the Sussex coast?

Ok I'll try and keep this brief.

Bognor/Worthing are my local proper cinemas.
My favourite cinema is Harbour Lights (Picturehouse) in Southampton.
Therefore even as a cinema savvy family the Stat's haven't set foot in a multiplex for yonks.

A run I was going to maintain on Sunday/Monday by getting the train to Southampton and drag the kids to see To Kill A Mockingbird.

2 problems have arisen:-

1 - HL are no longer showing TKAMB - (as it's known by all the cool kids)
B - The trains heading west are up the pooper. (I really am so fed up with driving).

Problem #1 is easy to solve as I think we'll enjoy The Peanut Butter Falcon.
Problem #B - Where to see it? isn't so easy.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just to say, I love Worthing cinema. £5.20 off-peak, £6.70 peak times, nice little bar and you can take your beer into the auditorium. Whats not to like ? The rip-off multiplexes can DO one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here