Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Totally agree. Lightweight fluff but nothing wrong with that. There was one scene which could/should have hit the editing room floor, later on in the film, which just seemed rather odd and totally unnecessary, but other than that. Patel great, James really good too, although balanced by Joel Fry's Rocky who seemed a bit one-dimensional as did Kate McKinnon's stereotypical nasty agent.

Yes, I know the scene, it certainly seemed odd that's for sure ! our American Agent was certainly a stereotypical caricature but I didn't let it annoy me, lots of genuine laughs at times so it can be forgiven for the odd mistake.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Down to Duke of Yorks for midday matinee of MIDSOMMAR, where an audience of several dozen were treated to a full 25 minutes of ads, including no less than FOUR different 'wacky' gin adverts, oh, and a trailer for the new Tarantino which will of course be mandatory viewing round these parts. AND those parts. Anyways, I digress, on to Midsommar. It's directed by Ari Aster who did last year's Hereditary. Like Hereditary it's too long. In fact whereas Hereditary was maybe half an hour too long, Midsommar may be approaching a full HOUR too long (all those dining and dancing and chanting scenes get pretty old pretty quick) And like Hereditary it's completely head-mental, a mad hallucinogenic cross between The Wicker Man and every Dumb College Kids Find Something Nasty Down In The Woods movie you ever saw. Subtle it ain't. And it's not about to be endorsed by the Swedish Tourist Board anytime soon. But if you liked Hereditary, you'll LOVE this.

7/10

I did enjoy Hereditary but Missommar much less. Still enjoyed it but I found the Seth Rogen-lite lead and Will Poulter's acting just too cringe-able at times. I mean it may well have been deliberate but it didn't work for me. And a character's actions have to be sometimes believable? As a comedy it was very funny in places, as a shock-horror it was sometimes effective but it still felt like way too over the top to be in any way believable. So, again, still enjoyed it but it desperately needed some heavy editing. So, so long.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I nipped into see the film Gwen yesterday. A ghostly tale in the Welsh quarries of the 19th century, endlessly misty and dour with surroundings blackened by charcoal and slate. It tells of the threat of cholera and business mercilessly stealing land, whilst a young girl and her family struggle with ostracism and hardship. Thunder and noises in the cruel night add to mysticism. I was reasonably moved, but it was a joyless jaunt, in spite of the sometimes encapsulating land. Not bad, like, even if most folk through it were.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This might already be my favourite film of this year and next. (looks like it has a uk release date of 3 January 2020 at the moment)

[tweet]1153691740596924416[/tweet]

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not keen on musicals to put it lightly but I very much enjoyed Bohemian Rahpsody. I then watched rocket man last night and although nearer to a musical than BR, I liked it, very much. Well worth seeing.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sign of a good film if it stays with you for a few days?

Keep getting Midsommar flashbacks and feelings of unease!

Following it up with Mandy, featuring Nic Cage, tonight as it was recommended as being somewhat vaguely in the same vein.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This might already be my favourite film of this year and next. (looks like it has a uk release date of 3 January 2020 at the moment)

[tweet]1154798536044634113[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just listened to a 'deep dive' into Reservoir Dogs on The Rewatchables podcast.

Before I really go off on one I'm curious did I actually know and have since forgotten:-

Blonde.jpg

&

KY_5JH9pUnYx.jpg

were brothers?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Sorry to be a bit BensGrandad, but, what is the name of the film?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Went to a cineworld unlimited secret screening tonight. Turned out to be Crawl. It's a disaster thrillery thing, with Kaya Scodelario. When a torrential storm floods the house where her father is, she goes to find he is trapped in the crawl space under the house. As the waters rise she discovers there are alligators in the storm water...

Eh. It took itself quite seriously, but when you go serious with this type of movie, you evoke comparisons to Jaw and this fell well short of that. There were also a number of 'oh come on, really?!' moments that you can get away with when your tongue is firmly in your cheek, but even then would bring comparisons to Lake Placid - and this fell well short of that.

Less than 90mins so there's that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've just listened to a 'deep dive' into Reservoir Dogs on The Rewatchables podcast.

Before I really go off on one I'm curious did I actually know and have since forgotten:-

View attachment 113514

&

View attachment 113513

were brothers?

Yup. Vic in RD, Vincent in Pulp. There was apparently talk of a prequel movie (it even had a working title called 'Double V Vega') where the two brothers got together during Vince's time in Amsterdam, when he was running one of Marcellus Wallace's clubs there, and Vic goes over to visit. Man, I'd LOVE for that film to have been made. Guess they're too old now.

What is this podcast of which you speak ? Reservoir Dogs is entrenched in my top 3 all time favourite films of all time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yup. Vic in RD, Vincent in Pulp. There was apparently talk of a prequel movie (it even had a working title called 'Double V Vega') where the two brothers got together during Vince's time in Amsterdam, when he was running one of Marcellus Wallace's clubs there, and Vic goes over to visit. Man, I'd LOVE for that film to have been made. Guess they're too old now.

What is this podcast of which you speak ? Reservoir Dogs is entrenched in my top 3 all time favourite films of all time.
Hmmm that doesn't sound even vaguely familiar either.
I'm sure I must have known this at some stage, as they are two films I'm somewhat reverential about and yet nothing.
If I can't remember pointless trivia that is of no benefit to me, I am nothing!!

Anyhoo write 'podcasts' in the search function and all the details, link ect, are in 'what are you listening too'.

Loads of behind the scenes stuff (which might not be as surprising to you!) as well as talking through alternates and of course discussing the film.

I'll not spoil it for you but for one thing:-

The host goes off on one at people who say they saw it at the cinema.
Slags them all off for being wannabe liars.

I'm listening to that thinking 'hang on I saw it at the cinema and I might even have seen it a few times, I may be many thing but ahead of the curve isn't one of them'.

It turns out RD's US box office was only something like $1m, whereas in the UK it was £12m.

Begging another question:-

Who was promoting it so strongly over here, Barry Norman?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmmm that doesn't sound even vaguely familiar either.
I'm sure I must have known this at some stage, as they are two films I'm somewhat reverential about and yet nothing.
If I can't remember pointless trivia that is of no benefit to me, I am nothing!!

Anyhoo write 'podcasts' in the search function and all the details, link ect, are in 'what are you listening too'.

Loads of behind the scenes stuff (which might not be as surprising to you!) as well as talking through alternates and of course discussing the film.

I'll not spoil it for you but for one thing:-

The host goes off on one at people who say they saw it at the cinema.
Slags them all off for being wannabe liars.

I'm listening to that thinking 'hang on I saw it at the cinema and I might even have seen it a few times, I may be many thing but ahead of the curve isn't one of them'.

It turns out RD's US box office was only something like $1m, whereas in the UK it was £12m.

Begging another question:-

Who was promoting it so strongly over here, Barry Norman?

I also saw it at the cinema, and to be honest first time I saw it I wasn't blown away, in fact I was quite disappointed. It was massively hyped over here as this ultra-violent action gangster flick. So when you see it, and most of it takes place in a warehouse, and you actually see very little violence on the screen, it left me totally underwhelmed and wondering what all the hype was about (I would've been about 20 at the time).

Then I saw it again on video when it came out, reset my expectations and properly watched it, and listened to it. And then I got it, and have loved it ever since. I watched it again earlier this year, and must've seen it 8 or 9 times now, it never gets old. But my initial lukewarm response was probably in tune with the American response to it !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Down to Duke of Yorks for midday matinee of MIDSOMMAR, where an audience of several dozen were treated to a full 25 minutes of ads, including no less than FOUR different 'wacky' gin adverts, oh, and a trailer for the new Tarantino which will of course be mandatory viewing round these parts. AND those parts. Anyways, I digress, on to Midsommar. It's directed by Ari Aster who did last year's Hereditary. Like Hereditary it's too long. In fact whereas Hereditary was maybe half an hour too long, Midsommar may be approaching a full HOUR too long (all those dining and dancing and chanting scenes get pretty old pretty quick) And like Hereditary it's completely head-mental, a mad hallucinogenic cross between The Wicker Man and every Dumb College Kids Find Something Nasty Down In The Woods movie you ever saw. Subtle it ain't. And it's not about to be endorsed by the Swedish Tourist Board anytime soon. But if you liked Hereditary, you'll LOVE this.

7/10

Hereditary was the biggest pile of horse manure I have seen at the cinema in many years so it puts me off. However Florence Pugh is lovely and talented so I might give it a go

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Saw Yesterday at the Dukes Komedia. I liked it, it was a bit wet and a few poor acting performances but a nice way to spend 2 hours with very little thinking involved. 6 or 7 out of 10 for me.

Anyone seen the Lion king yet?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Saw Yesterday at the Dukes Komedia. I liked it, it was a bit wet and a few poor acting performances but a nice way to spend 2 hours with very little thinking involved. 6 or 7 out of 10 for me.

Anyone seen the Lion king yet?

Neither the original nor this remake, no. I'm apparently the only person in my office of 50 or so who hasn't seen the original.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Most of the way through the pod now, a pretty good listen. One thing one of them picked up on that I knew about was the subtle hint in the opening scene that Orange was the rat, because he's the one who readily dobs in Pink for not putting in for the tip.

There's also 2 more hints that I thought he'd go on to mention, in the pod but didn't. The scene in the bathroom after the heist, when White and Pink are arguing, trying to figure out who's the rat - there is a line of orange coloured soap bottles behind Pink, on the shelf under the mirror.

And later, when they pick up Orange from his apartment. They speed off in the car, and an orange balloon floats across behind them.

I'm not going to claim I noticed these hints btw, I read about them. But they're worth looking out for if you watch Reservoir Dogs again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Most of the way through the pod now, a pretty good listen. One thing one of them picked up on that I knew about was the subtle hint in the opening scene that Orange was the rat, because he's the one who readily dobs in Pink for not putting in for the tip.

There's also 2 more hints that I thought he'd go on to mention, in the pod but didn't. The scene in the bathroom after the heist, when White and Pink are arguing, trying to figure out who's the rat - there is a line of orange coloured soap bottles behind Pink, on the shelf under the mirror.

And later, when they pick up Orange from his apartment. They speed off in the car, and an orange balloon floats across behind them.

I'm not going to claim I noticed these hints btw, I read about them. But they're worth looking out for if you watch Reservoir Dogs again.

I'm glad you're enjoying the listen.

They must have done 100 or so by now all available through the link on 'podcasts'.
The Con Air one was fun, as was The Fugitive.

I slogged my way through all 3 hours or whatever of Zodiac only for them to open up the discussion with 'how many sittings did it take for you to get to the end' - "2" "3" "2" barstewards. :Lol:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I'm glad you're enjoying the listen.

They must have done 100 or so by now all available through the link on 'podcasts'.
The Con Air one was fun, as was The Fugitive.

I slogged my way through all 3 hours or whatever of Zodiac only for them to open up the discussion with 'how many sittings did it take for you to get to the end' - "2" "3" "2" barstewards. :Lol:
Another thanks for the podcast suggestion - downloading a bunch of them ready for hols! Oh, and I saw RD at the cinema as well... :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here