Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw Green Book today with Mrs V, as mentioned above, great work by the two leads. Great watching their relationship develop as they both learned from each other as they toured the South. It was a little schmaltzy and stereotyped in places, especially towards the end but overall an enjoyable watch. I found myself feeling rather old when I saw how Viggo Mortenson had "bulked up " since his time as Aragon in LOTR.

Odd to see a film tackle the issue of Black/ White race issues yet show nearly all Italian-Americans as being loud, argumentative, on the take and on the make and squabbling around the dinner table. Also they slipped in a scene which is an age old irritant of mine where the leads go to a crowded bar and, yet magically, there are two seats next to each other left empty for their arrival.

Overall, good fun, do what we did and have some Nando's or Fernando's afterwards, you won't regret it having seen Viggo Mortenson eat his way through this movie.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A friend and I do mini Oscar predictions each year (film, directing, acting x4, writing x2, music x2, feature length animation). When the nominees were announced I was surprised by how many I had seen (it felt like a baron year for me, cinema-wise). It looked like I would be able to see almost all of them. This weekend I caught up on a few of the nominees, though not at the cinema.

The Wife
I quite enjoyed it. Wasn't as stiff as I was expecting.

Roma
Didn't really do anything for me.

Cold War
Grabbed my interest from the start, but loosened its grip as the film went on.

Of the 22 films across those 11 categories, I've seen 15. One is on Netflix, two are at the cinema now. Once I can rent through amazon prime. The other three might take some less legitimate sourcing...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey film nerds :wave:

I didn't know the trains were up the spout next week.
I was mulling over taking the kids to the Science Museum.

I can still get us direct to London, going to Waterloo, leaving me wondering if there was anything other than the Science Museum we could do.

This is where you come in

I did notice the BFI IMAX is in the Waterloo location begging the questions:-

Would 'The Uk's largest screen' be worthy of a day trip to London?
Am I right in thinking the new film Alita (?) has been made for such an experience?
It's gonna cost, biggly, right?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saw Green Book today with Mrs V, as mentioned above, great work by the two leads. Great watching their relationship develop as they both learned from each other as they toured the South. It was a little schmaltzy and stereotyped in places, especially towards the end but overall an enjoyable watch. I found myself feeling rather old when I saw how Viggo Mortenson had "bulked up " since his time as Aragon in LOTR.

Odd to see a film tackle the issue of Black/ White race issues yet show nearly all Italian-Americans as being loud, argumentative, on the take and on the make and squabbling around the dinner table. Also they slipped in a scene which is an age old irritant of mine where the leads go to a crowded bar and, yet magically, there are two seats next to each other left empty for their arrival.

Overall, good fun, do what we did and have some Nando's or Fernando's afterwards, you won't regret it having seen Viggo Mortenson eat his way through this movie.

I was thinking this would be a good film for my children's (now 12 & 14) 'racism is bad' series.

Having previously watched:-
A Jessie Owens film.
A Jackie Robinson film, quickly followed by the fantastic
Hidden Figures

Does it fit in well, while we wait for Mississippi Burning!!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I was thinking this would be a good film for my children's (now 12 & 14) 'racism is bad' series.

A Jessie Owens film.
Hidden Figures

Well it totally stereotypes Italian Americans but apart from that it's a very good movie. I'm not sure how engrossed a 12 year old Stat Child would be by it, mind.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

A Jessie Owens film.
Hidden Figures

I would say watch it, it won't convert anyone to become a human rights activist but shows how incredibly blinkered and ignorant they were. In a scene towards the end the main character is playing as part of a trio in a country house venue and although a couple of hundred people have come to watch him play he can't even eat pre-show in the restaurant because of his colour. Quite movingly handled though.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just got back from seeing Green Book and thought it an excellent, thought provoking movie, with well placed humour without taking away from the overall moving nature of both men coming to understand the other better. Clearly, one man has more to learn than the other, but even so. Didn't realise it was based on real people - thought it was a fictionalised account of what typically happened in those days.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What Happened to Monday ?

Saw this last night via Chromecast. Quite an interesting concept set around 50 years in the future, when due to a global population crisis, new laws are brought in limiting people to having 1 child only, strictly forbidding all siblings. Any siblings born afterwards are taken by the authorities and cryogenically frozen indefinitely until the world is "a better place". Willem Defoe plays a grandfather secretly raising his 7 identical grandaughters (septuplets), naming them Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday. Each girl is only allowed out of the apartment 1 day a week, on the day of her name, with them all "playing" the same person in the outside world. Then one day, Monday doesn't come back..

Its a little long at just over 2 hours, and you do need a few leaps of faith in some of the slightly contrived illogical twists and turns, as well as how surprisingly competent these women, who have spent most of their lives hiding in an apartment, are at thwarting heavily armed, highly trained military personnel. But the storyline kept me interested till the end, certainly not boring.

72%

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All is True

I really liked this. Written by Ben Elton and directed by Kenneth Branagh it was well acted with beautfiul cinematography and musical score. Telling Shakespeare's last few years after he stopped writing. Touching and basically a tribute to the great man. I recommend this

82 out of 100

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hey film nerds :wave:

I didn't know the trains were up the spout next week.
I was mulling over taking the kids to the Science Museum.

I can still get us direct to London, going to Waterloo, leaving me wondering if there was anything other than the Science Museum we could do.

This is where you come in

I did notice the BFI IMAX is in the Waterloo location begging the questions:-

Would 'The Uk's largest screen' be worthy of a day trip to London?
Am I right in thinking the new film Alita (?) has been made for such an experience?
It's gonna cost, biggly, right?

Don't know if you knew, but there's an IMAX at the Science Museum, supposedly ONE of the biggest screens in the UK. 2for1 admission voucher if you're travelling by train. Details HERE:

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/science-museum-imax-cinema

Loads of other 2for1 London offers on there also, might give you some ideas.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't know if you knew, but there's an IMAX at the Science Museum, supposedly ONE of the biggest screens in the UK. 2for1 admission voucher if you're travelling by train. Details HERE:

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/science-museum-imax-cinema

Loads of other 2for1 London offers on there also, might give you some ideas.

Thanks for the codes.
Yeah we've IMAXed the Science Museum, lil Miss Stats first experience of 3-D.
She spent half the time trying to grab the jelly fish.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
18/22 of the oscar films now. Saw At Eternity's Gate in a totally legal way, yessiree. It was very pretty, but ponderous and pretentious.

Went to the cinema today for a double-bill:

Can You Ever Forgive?
Why on earth is a 3.30 thursday afternoon showing of this sold out? I'm not big fan of crowded cinemas so that may have played on me, but I didn't particularly enjoy this. It was ok, but not much more than that. Richard E Grant was fun.

Green Book
Not entirely sure I was looking forward to this. Not particularly original set up, another in the 'aren't white people great at helping black people fight racism' Hollywood collection. But despite myself I enjoyed it. Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen put in good performances and had good chemistry, which won me over.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed green book.
Very disappointed in widows though, I was hoping for more from this.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Thoroughly enjoyed green book.
Very disappointed in widows though, I was hoping for more from this.

Agree on Widows. I thought it had potential but was very average . 4/10.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Happy Death Day 2U
Picking up where the last film in the Groundhog Day-inspired horror series ended, this takes a bend into sci-fi with alternate realities and quantum physics, but still retains the same humour and charm as the first. A fun film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Instant Family

Very likeable film with Mark Wahlberg who I rate and Byrne with Isabela Moner who is a rising star. It's heat is in the right place about fostering and adoption. Not going to win any awards but a decent enough way to spend 2 hours. 75 out of 100

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Saw Green Book- really liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I finally managed to make it to a couple of films this week. With the Oscars approaching i felt an increasing urge, but i'd seen a couple at the film festival last year so was lucky to not have to overdo it, i suppose. Anywho, the first of the 2 was Can You Ever Forgive Me. I've probably said this before, but if i mention the name Melissa McCarthy at work a particular fellow snarls at me. I don't say it much anyhow, but i sometimes see his face turn with the likelihood that he momentarily pondered of her. I don't think i said her name this week, but i mentioned seeing said film and 1 eye flinched. I am personally no fan of the general tripe that she seems contented and well paid to be in, and i've even walked out of 1 of the dreadful films she has been in for its awfulness, but i don't entirely rile at her existence, constantly. In this film i see she is up for a prize, and i cannot imagine that it will go her way, even if the film is 8233 times better than Identity Thief, the film i walked out of. In this true tale i didn't feel that a new sense of range had been delivered to her in the performance stakes. She plays a misanthropic smartarse with little grip on any social skill who decides to do wrong for semi-comic viewing, and then cries momentarily in a human moment. Standard for her really, i thought.
The film, though, was watchable, if not stunning, or that funny in its telling. Richard E Grant gives a rebirth to his Withnail and I persona and does so with a certain panache. The story has enough to it, and the life of the underdog has us on their side, so it's worth a view.

The other film i snuck to was Burning. It's a Korean film, and it haunts here and there. It's of a young man, Jongsu, who bumps into a girl from his deeper youth who remembers him more than he does her. She not long after heads to Africa, with Jongsu feeding a cat he never sees. When she returns, she has a man of style and wealth on her arm and Jongsu more infatuated with her. So what unfolds is a tension between these 3 characters, of what is true, what is passion, what fires each of them to be there. Some good performances and an intelligent tone dominate, sometimes in a part of South Korea that can hear the daily propaganda chants from the north, which adds to the simmering sensibilities. I was glad to see this film, if not amazed constantly. It felt quite different to that which i had seen for a while.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here