Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Well, that took me by surprise! I went to see F&F: Hobbs & Shaw yesterday (my sons are on college summer break and wanted to see it) and it was very entertaining! Obviously action-soaked, not intellectually challenging, nonsense, but none the worse for that. Going to this, one shouldn't expect a deep, introspective drama, but how many times (and I'm looking at you, Transformers films) do films like this disappoint for having flat acting, flat dialog and a nonsensical plot? Statham and Johnson (The Rock) play off each other really well, and there's a nice cameo in three places in the film from Ryan Reynolds. Reynolds in particular seems to be doing some of his Deadpool/Pokemon adlibbed dialogue shtick which works well. Not so much in the way of cars in this one - more story driven even if it is a bit of a McGuffin that is central to the plot. A good fun summer film, and a contrast to my next one in the cinema which will be QT's latest.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Went to the Unlimited Secret Screening this evening. Turned out to be 'Blinded By The Light'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtmeIu0dEqQ

I had seen the trailer a while back and liked the look of it, but also thought it would be the type I wouldn't want to see enough to actually make the effort to go, so I was kinda glad it was this. I enjoyed it, lot of 80s things (one of the characters drinks top deck at one point!), it's a bit of a love letter to bruce with a bit of immigrant family/80s sociopolitics story with some clunky 'look at this issue from the 80s that is thing now' moments.

I did see on imdb a few 1 star reviews from other cineworld viewers, but most stayed at my showing, some could be heard sniffling during the emotional moments. I think sometimes people go to these secret cinema showings expecting a really big mainstream movie (not entirely unreasonable, one of the recent ... of the apes movies was featured in a secret cinema, as was incredibles 2) and allow their dsappointment to colour how they view the film. But I enjoyed it.

Went to a cineworld unlimited secret screening tonight. Turned out to be Crawl. It's a disaster thrillery thing, with Kaya Scodelario. When a torrential storm floods the house where her father is, she goes to find he is trapped in the crawl space under the house. As the waters rise she discovers there are alligators in the storm water...

Eh. It took itself quite seriously, but when you go serious with this type of movie, you evoke comparisons to Jaw and this fell well short of that. There were also a number of 'oh come on, really?!' moments that you can get away with when your tongue is firmly in your cheek, but even then would bring comparisons to Lake Placid - and this fell well short of that.

Less than 90mins so there's that.

For my third cinema visit in a row I went to a secret screening. This time at the Komedia. The difference with picturehouse membership is that it only gives you a discount, you still have to pay each time you visit (other than 4 free tickets you get with the membership). For the secret screening it was down from the usual £12 to just £5, but I figured I'd risk it.

Then as the showing approached I started to grow concerned that it would be Crawl, with the idea being it was some sort of push from the filmmakers to get it out there, maybe to massage the opening weekend numbers, maybe believing they have a great film that needs the word of mouth boost.

Turned out it was Blinded by the Light. I hadn't even considered it would be the one cineworld showed several weeks ago. I decided to stay, since I had paid, and I kinda enjoyed it last time.

It felt like the audience was more into it this time. A couple did leave after giving it 30-40 minutes, but most stayed and laughed in the right places, and it felt like I enjoyed it more too. It also felt a lot shorter.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

At the Odeon Tuesday next week. looking forward to seeing a classic on the big screen again

Thanks for the reminder, just got a ticket at DOYs, somebody's taken 'my' seat but never mind :)

Martin Sheen suffered a heart attack during filming and some scenes were covered by his brother Joe

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Just saw a preview of Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood, it's a bit episodic but still very watchable until the end....
which was absolutely hilarious, it's a long time since I've laughed so much. I would recommend it to everyone if only for the ending.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Lion King - I thought this was magical. I find it hard to see how they could have made a better recreation of the animated classic. It has had mixed/poor critical reviews but I find that baffling. For me it was majestic and moving. 91 out of 100

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see Yesterday yeasterday. Eh. It had it's moments, but not overly impressed. Didn't help that they gave Ed Sheeran so much to do when he can't really act. Then backed that up with Kate McKinnon who I liked in Ghostbusters, but the more I see of her the more it feels like she is the only person in any cast she is in that plays the role like it's in a sketch show.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Saw Blinded By The Light today, a great soundtrack if you like Springsteen.

From my visits Luton never looked that good in the 80s, but a budget British film which is fun to watch and has a few emotional scenes. It certainly could have been more gritty given the violence directed against non whites in areas like Luton at the time. I assume there was a desire to reach as wide an audience as possible so there was next to no violence in the film.

Given the inability to correctly handle vinyl albums, I can see why the lead actor almost exclusively listened to Springsteen on his Walkman.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

At the Odeon Tuesday next week. looking forward to seeing a classic on the big screen again

This will be the Third version according to a feature in The Gruaniad last week, this is the second and final Director's Cut. Not a big fan of trying to cash in by adding 20 minutes or cutting 20 minutes every 20 years or so.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I bought one of those Odeon limitless memberships. What a waste of money, only about one film every three months I want to see. Might be good value for some but if you’re not into animated kids films or endless superhero nerd fodder, forget it. And it’s a year contract with The Harlands group, so absolutely no way to cancel it.
My own fault, it’s the ****ing odeon, of course it only shows crap. And none of the event cinema showings are included, like the National Theatre Live showings.
Bollocks.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I bought one of those Odeon limitless memberships. What a waste of money, only about one film every three months I want to see. Might be good value for some but if you’re not into animated kids films or endless superhero nerd fodder, forget it. And it’s a year contract with The Harlands group, so absolutely no way to cancel it.
My own fault, it’s the ****ing odeon, of course it only shows crap. And none of the event cinema showings are included, like the National Theatre Live showings.
Bollocks.
Whilst all multiplex/big chain cinemas are less likely to show indie fare, certainly Cineworld has a lot of the NT Live showings. With an Unlimited card, depending on the special screening, there is sometimes a small supplement to pay for this one-offs, but they DO have them, especially at Crawley. The Brighton one, not so much, but that's open for less hours (apart from summer hols, earliest screenings each day there tend to be around 2pm) and has half the screens of Crawley. It's also a very poor relation to Crawley (don't get me started on the bogs!). Wonder if they are trying to gradually run it down to eventually close, maybe when the Burgess Hill one opens? There seems to have been very little investment in it since it opened as an MGM in 1991, then went through other companies including Virgin and UGC. Needs a big overhaul, including improving the sound, raking the seats and completely gutting the toilets and starting again. I started going there in 1991 and think it is the same toilet hardware since then.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It as been a bang average year so far imo. Liked Green Book a lot, thought the Lion King was great, seen about 5 others all decent but nothing special like The Shape of Water this year. Too many superhero films and animated ones. Seems to be geared for the kids very much this year

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bollocks.

Wot no Picturehouse membership?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Apocalypse Now! The Final Cut

A masterpiece 10/10

Agree, but when I saw it last night, far too many people arrived after the film started, no one seemed capable of sitting through the three hours without needing to go to the restroom, plus given a lot of the film is narration of the thoughts of Captain Willard why do people have to much on their popcorn or whatever so that everyone can hear that over the soundtrack.

Still given that these idiots left when the credits started to go up, they missed the bonus of the filmed interview with Coppola

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The only reason to live in Southampton.

The Picturehouse cinema there is the dogs dangles.

Glass fronted.
Right on the edge of the marina.
Cafe
Leather reclining seats
&
Obviously a Picturehouse selection of films.

I could, and we very occasionally do, spend the whole day there.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

I know you're not asking me, but Picturehouse down the road from me is £14 a ticket, and with membership you get about £1.50 off. I find it a bit dear. Only worth going on a Monday for £7.50 or whatever. Instead i tend to go the Arthouse cinema in Crouch End, 3 doors down, and see an equal or better array of flicks for a few quid less. And give the money to an independent cinema rather than a place usually with the staff on strike.

Speaking of which, i went to said venue twice over the week or so.
The first film was Chambermaid. A Mexican film that spends its entire life within the overgrown confines of a deluxe hotel, following the chambermaid in question through minor experiences whilst surrounded by the oppressive buzz and whirr of the building and on occasion the duties to be carried out for those of vast wealth in comparison. Whilst watching, an old lady, with her bare feet on the seat in front of her, groaningly said to her husband IT'S LIKE WATCHING PAINT DRY, in one of those old person's very loud whispers, but i wouldn't agree. The chambermaid, Eve, was a blank canvass, and not filled in colourfully, but her modest struggles i was reasonably engrossed in. I felt within her environment, which was her entire world with all opportunity and disappointment inside, and the brief moment of relief with atop the building, silence welcomed for a second or three. I enjoyed her fellow chambermaid, Minitoy, and her playful performance and character too. I thought it quite good, and quite moving of how the further down the ladder one is possibility is often with you for a nanosecond, fleeting without any intention of returning.

Anywhen, the other one i went to see was a showing of Hitchcock's Notorious. It wasn't as good as i recalled, perhaps because it felt it flew by, but remained a good watch Cary NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT Grant was a bit silly, but Ingrid Bergman was excellent. And the ending was expertly tense.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Agree, but when I saw it last night, far too many people arrived after the film started, no one seemed capable of sitting through the three hours without needing to go to the restroom, plus given a lot of the film is narration of the thoughts of Captain Willard why do people have to much on their popcorn or whatever so that everyone can hear that over the soundtrack.

Still given that these idiots left when the credits started to go up, they missed the bonus of the filmed interview with Coppola

I saw it at the Duke of Yorks and the audience were ok (for a change!) I had two young people sitting next to me and they were fixated, no loo breaks, no drinks and no popcorn.
I waited for the interview, but after sitting there for over 3 hours and drinking half a bottle of wine I um ... was bursting.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here