Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
And it is going to be on at worthing from next friday (20th). If you're a serious film fan I'd recommend it. If you live off a diet of mainstream popcorn stuff, might not appeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVlPl0SXFiE

Tis a film I want to see, but this weekend I can't imagine getting away with it. Albion on Saturday, seeing my favourite band Pile on Sunday, and a generally displeased with me missus is a combo that doesn't grant me time to sneak off to a moody drama. Blasted parenthood and other rarel6 busying things.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I became quite angry with both myself and what i was watching last Sunday eve. As mentioned above, i had tickets for Pile, who i rather moodily adore. But, those i was to go with couldn't make it and i had one of those times in which the can't be bothered side to you keeps reminding you of how far away something is and how late you'll be home, whilst the anxious side of you says you'll be a 44 year old man standing at a gig on his own looking a bit foolish. So i turned away from the 45 minute cycle to get there. Instead, the part of me that said well you have to do something instead at least started bellowing, and the Holloway Odeon listings were checked. So, where did this lead me to? Holloway Odeon of course, which is being rebuilt, but keeping a couple of screens open. And i saw It Part 2. Oh god that was annoyingly bad in many places, and the whole thing being a jumbled mishmash. I quite liked Part 1. The evil clown, the threat to children in the invisible world they find themselves in, the fiendish bullies.

Part 2, though, 27 years later, with the surviving children reunited as adults in star flesh, partly tried to bring reason and history to the demon in clown form. This can be undoing of a story sometimes, a drab and twatty explanation of the truth. It was here, i found, along with some bad acting by people i expect better from - James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain. The tone had somewhat changed and what was menacing in the first episode seemed stupid in this one, or disconnected and nonsensical.
Attached to the dislike of the almost 3 hour film with a rubbish ending, was a growing self-loathing for not cycling to see Pile. I'm going to listen to them for an hour now to make me feel justly worse.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Bait
A small British film that is getting a lot of good praise. It's shot like something from the 40s/50s - black and white with all the imperfections of flickering images, badly sync audio clearly recorded in a studio etc. It was quite good, very limited in where you can watch it, not on at either of the dukes in Brighton so I had to go to the Depot to watch it, but it was worth the trek.

I caught the train over to Worthing yesterday morning to see BAIT at the Connaught Studio at 11.30am. I got there too early, the door was still locked, but a smartly dressed elderly man came very, very slowly down the stairs to let me in. He smiled as he told me he hadn't even switched the lights on yet. Then a rather frail woman with a stick joined us. She suggested that she went up the stairs last as she needed to take her time. I found my seat on the balcony and sat there alone except for the usher man down in the stalls still smiling. I started to wonder if I had actually passed over and was in God's waiting room while the Holy Trinity decided whether to let me in or send me back down stairs with Stick Lady (I never saw her again). About 11.45 a few other people turned up. I was delighted to hear the clinking of glasses at that time of day as I broke open my beaker of tap water. About 12.00 BAIT finally came on.

I really enjoyed it. It deserves the praise and I like to see it again. Reminded me of films made in the sixties like Cul De Sac and Knife In The Water etc. Loved the scene where the hipster complains about the noise.
It's only on in Worthing tomorrow (Sunday) and Monday

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ad Astra looks interesting. Seeing it tomorrow

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ad Astra. This connected with me deeply. The themes rang so many bells. It is stunning, simply stunning with a career best turn from the always excellent Brad Pitt. Deep, intelligent, thought provoking with brilliant effects and cinematography. Added to that a magnificent soundtrack by the greatest living composer along with Hans Zimmer, Max Richter and it is my best film of 2019 so far. I have to rate Ad Astra 94 out of 100 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0y2pTzfErM

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Ad Astra. This connected with me deeply. The themes rang so many bells. It is stunning, simply stunning with a career best turn from the always excellent Brad Pitt. Deep, intelligent, thought provoking with brilliant effects and cinematography. Added to that a magnificent soundtrack by the greatest living composer along with Hans Zimmer, Max Richter and it is my best film of 2019 so far. I have to rate Ad Astra 94 out of 100 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0y2pTzfErM

I am looking forward to this as sci fi is one of my favourite interests. Interstellar was a great film, and there are supposed be similar themes in this one. Generally its got very good reviews, but the BBC expert I just seen was not impressed. He did rave on about an obscure foreign film which will be watched by 1 man and his dog though, so I haven't been put off.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am looking forward to this as sci fi is one of my favourite interests. Interstellar was a great film, and there are supposed be similar themes in this one. Generally its got very good reviews, but the BBC expert I just seen was not impressed. He did rave on about an obscure foreign film which will be watched by 1 man and his dog though, so I haven't been put off.

It is quite simply a masterpiece. And the music from Max Richter just from the heavens. Pitt was amazing. A career best. It is in my top 10 films of al ttime. Not often a film comes along and knocks you for 6. Interstellar did it, arrival did it and ad astra has done it in the last 5 years

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ad Astra best film of the year

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry if this is only for films released in 2019, not films I've seen in 2019 :smile: but finally caught up with Denis Villeneuve's Sicario on Prime. Wow, what a film. The extradition scene (if you can call it that), from the music score to the aerial shots of the border, to the formation driving, then the most intense traffic jam you'll ever see. Forget your quintessential car chase, Villeneuve redefines a chase spectacle through being stationary.

Sicario 2 is also on Netflix at the moment. If you have Prime and Netflix, they're both well worth catching.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Erm, not sure of that myself.

Yes great to see on the large screen for the earth views and the largeness of space, but not sure I would watch it again when it reaches the TV schedules.

I found it a film where you were expecting something to happen, and when it did (certainly on a couple of occasions) Brad Pitt would have died.

At least you do get to see half of the Space Cowboys team back and in space, if only they could have got Clint into the film it could have been sequel.

Only a 4/10 from me

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sorry if this is only for films released in 2019, not films I've seen in 2019 :smile: but finally caught up with Denis Villeneuve's Sicario on Prime. Wow, what a film. The extradition scene (if you can call it that), from the music score to the aerial shots of the border, to the formation driving, then the most intense traffic jam you'll ever see. Forget your quintessential car chase, Villeneuve redefines a chase spectacle through being stationary.

Sicario 2 is also on Netflix at the moment. If you have Prime and Netflix, they're both well worth catching.

Sicario is an immense film. No.2 noty so great but still good.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Cheers for the heads-up, been meaning to watch those for ages :thumbsup:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I went to see Ad Astra yesterday, and today i remain angry with it. A fulsome segment of that ire is thanks to it all being of Brad Pitt. I watched Moneyball again yesterday, which was a good flick, with Pitt's performance of an unusually higher quality, but it had me thinking of what he is able to pull off and not look out of his depth. In Moneyball he found the right tone, delivering a heartfelt character of confidence and faith, and did not alter from it at all. But in Ad Astra we find a little of why it is his first film in space, as his generally vacant face doesn't have the character to it to carry drama or depth, or seem ponderous in the heavens. The dialogue was often poor, but his muttering delivery didn't resuscitate it at all. It wasn't crooked with age or weary or layered, just as his face wasn't. It was just there.
Anyway, i don't like Brad Pitt and i found the film a bit silly too. The near future, my arse. Donald Sutherland helped it for a little while, and i thought Tommy Lee Jones might do the same, but he didn't. As mentioned, i am still a bit peeved.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

This seems a tad steep to me, even in a year of lower quality films. I saw it yesterday and the cinematography is absolutely stunning, of that there is no doubt. I also enjoyed Pitt's performance. But the science behind it all, even with my relatively small knowledge of the subject matter, seemed questionable at best, and the story just lacked a little punch. I enjoyed it whilst there, but I don't imagine I'd ever watch it at home. 7/10, but I can imagine people going to extremes with it considering the pacing.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am disappointed about the comments re Ad Astra. I guess you need to relate to any films and it's themes and if someone has not had similar experiences it might leave them cold. With that aside the visuals and score by Max Richter are worth the entrance fee alone. I saw it again today and it hit even harder so I upgraded my score from 94 to 95 out of 100. It will be my film of 2019 no doubt

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I went to see Ad Astra yesterday, and today i remain angry with it. A fulsome segment of that ire is thanks to it all being of Brad Pitt. I watched Moneyball again yesterday, which was a good flick, with Pitt's performance of an unusually higher quality, but it had me thinking of what he is able to pull off and not look out of his depth. In Moneyball he found the right tone, delivering a heartfelt character of confidence and faith, and did not alter from it at all. But in Ad Astra we find a little of why it is his first film in space, as his generally vacant face doesn't have the character to it to carry drama or depth, or seem ponderous in the heavens. The dialogue was often poor, but his muttering delivery didn't resuscitate it at all. It wasn't crooked with age or weary or layered, just as his face wasn't. It was just there.
Anyway, i don't like Brad Pitt and i found the film a bit silly too. The near future, my arse. Donald Sutherland helped it for a little while, and i thought Tommy Lee Jones might do the same, but he didn't. As mentioned, i am still a bit peeved.

I am baffled by this review. Pitt acted that way as he had completely disconnected from his emotions which was the common theme until the end. I think he portrayed a troubled soul magnificently well and he has had numerous plaudits for it. Maybe you just did not relate to it

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Saw Ad Astra today. Looks great and the score is brilliant. As for the film, well sorry to say it was dull at points and sagged in the middle. The narration was irritating at times too as noted by Kemode on his review. It was ok but nothing more than a 6 or 7 for me and the IMDB (7.1) and picturehosue (6.8) reviews seem to agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here