Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would Maty have saved their first goal, in your opinion?

Do you think Maty would have saved West Ham’s first?

• Yes, I think Maty would have saved their first

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • No, I don’t think that Maty would have saved their first

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • I don’t like expressing an opinion - especially when it’s on a subjective thing rather than fact.

Votes: 21 20.6%

• Total voters

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes, of course it’s subjective - but do you think he would?

Personally, I do. I think he would have come off his line a bit sooner and probably wouldn’t have been nutmegged.

I was relieved to see that Button had listened to the coaching he received between Everton and last night and has now started kicking the ball into touch like Maty does, rather than kicking it to one of our players like he did v Everton.

He looks a decent stand in to me - clearly not as good as Maty, but hardly a disaster.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think Maty may have stopped it, as you say he stayed on his line and I think Ryan would have helped Duffy deal with the situation better.

Everyones heads went and Buttons kicking was so poor we changed the way we played and made different passes instead of going back to the keeper as clearly his bottle had gone.

I wont right him off but not been overally impressed with him so far.

kjgood

Who knows? but I think Button looks a bit lightweight but then again he needs a few games to be settled in the side. Remember the mistakes that Ryan made when he first came into the side so lets give him a chance, I did wince a bit when he came out and miskicked in the second half though.

Unfortunately he's next got to face two of the in form sides in the league, games in reality we will be do well to get away with without a good beating in which may dent his confidence, of course I hope we come up with a surprise in at least one of them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it too early to say whether Maty would have saved it? It's too early to say.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, of course it’s subjective - but do you think he would?

Personally, I do. I think he would have come off his line a bit sooner and probably wouldn’t have been nutmegged.

I was relieved to see that Button had listened to the coaching he received between Everton and last night and has now started kicking the ball into touch like Maty does, rather than kicking it to one of our players like he did v Everton.

He looks a decent stand in to me - clearly not as good as Maty, but hardly a disaster.

Yes, but those instructions took a while to sink in for Button, and it wasn't until the second half that he managed to execute the plan.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Who knows? but I think Button looks a bit lightweight but then again he needs a few games to be settled in the side. Remember the mistakes that Ryan made when he first came into the side so lets give him a chance, I did wince a bit when he came out and miskicked in the second half though.

Unfortunately he's next got to face two of the in form sides in the league, games in reality we will be do well to get away with without a good beating in which may dent his confidence, of course I hope we come up with a surprise in at least one of them.

Agree. Maty took a few games to settle in. Also must be difficult for DB because he must know that however well he plays, Maty will be straight back into the team as soon as his international duties are fulfilled.

Conclusion so far... He is an ok keeper, not brilliant, not dreadful, but really looking forward to the feeling of confidence that comes with our own Socceroo between the posts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Because the time machine arrives tomorrow? When it arrives, go back in time and have it delivered a day earlier... then we will know for sure!

Time travel is an interesting thing. As you humorously illustrate, clearly one cannot travel back in time, and logic and the evidence of my own eyes strongly indicate we never will be able to do so. However, what about travelling forward in time? If we discover soon how to do this, would you fancy a trip (one way)? If only I knew how to set up a poll. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maty Ryan came into this team and was pretty dodgy for his first month, you only have to look at that first Maty Ryan thread to see the opinions flying about.

Got to give Button a bit of a chance before we start too much criticism. He's played 2 we have 4 points from them. It's a :thumbsup: from me so far.

I'd play him Saturday too as he needs as many minutes as possible, if the decision has been made he's the choice over Steele, then personally I'd stick with that.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Time travel is an interesting thing. As you humorously illustrate, clearly one cannot travel back in time, and logic and the evidence of my own eyes strongly indicate we never will be able to do so. However, what about travelling forward in time? If we discover soon how to do this, would you fancy a trip (one way)? If only I knew how to set up a poll. :shrug:

Jumping forward to a time when you do know how to set up a poll, I will vote "Yes, but..."

I would love to jump forward a see the future (Buck Rogers style), but I am sure that I couldn't leave _and_son and my amazing partner.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Duffy possibly at fault, but I think MA finished it really well - a slight delay on the shot, that he didn't smash - a good finish ultimately that I don't think most players would have executed. Had he smashed it, I think Button has a better chance of saving it..

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Personally, Button looks like a disaster to me. Yet to come off his line in 2 matches and the defence look like they have no confidence in him. I have a horrible feeling he will throw a few in. 1st goal wouldn’t have happened with Ryan in goal.
I do think we should have a better No2 then a guy who couldn’t get into a championship team last year!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Silly look at me thread, utterly pointless and can only lead to our current number one goalkeeper being criticised..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jumping forward to a time when you do know how to set up a poll, I will vote "Yes, but..."

I would love to jump forward a see the future (Buck Rogers style), but I am sure that I couldn't leave _and_son and my amazing partner.

:lolol:

At least we have managed to momentarily hijack this rather silly thread. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think he's doing fine, bound to be a few nervy occasions

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here