Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pudding tax?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
people accepted the sugar tax on drinks, they'll come for our puddings, biscuits and chocolate bars next. the diet fascists will take control of all our food if we arent careful, there's also been talk about restricting meals in supermarkets and resturants to 600cal.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
10% on any processed foods will do...

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I need to put some weight on.

I paid sugar tax on coke (two cans a day) and still can't put weight on...

Not everyone needs to lose weight and why shouldn't people enjoy sugar as part of a healthy diet?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is already 20% on it and people still buy it.

The government put a tax on beer, you only have to go to your local supermarket to see how well that works !

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Someone can enjoy the occasional cigarette as part of a healthy lifestyle, with no negative health effects... but overconsumption of cigarettes frequently leads to serious health issues, so we tax it heavily to reduce consumption and it works, and it is justified.

The same can be applied to sugar, which can cause to obesity, diabetes, heart disease and numerous other health problems. The difference between taxing sugar and tobacco, is that we tax tobacco to make people reduce or stop smoking completely - but we would be taxing sugar to force the industry into putting less sugar in their products.

I think it is more the case that it is an easy way to raise more tax...

I am frustrated that when I need calories and I do need them to prevent me becoming underweight, I have to pay more tax on top of VAT!

I eat healthily but have to binge on easy calories to keep my weight in the healthy range. My friends nicely hate me for it. But it is much harder to put weight on than lose it for some people. I am not anorexic, I eat loads, my body just burns it off...

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Well we do need easy ways to raise more tax. Taxing things that are seriously harming people is a bit of a no brainer, surely. I'm a smoker, and even I agree with the insane taxing of tobacco!

If you need calories, there are considerably healthier ways to put on weight than sugar. I wish I were in your position where I had the freedom to eat whatever I wanted without having to work it off!

Avocados are extremely high calorie as a healthy option. If I wanted to put on weight I would go for semi-healthy high calorie foods like pizza. Most restaurant food has insane amount of calories too. If you really want to put on weight, then protein powders will do the job. Either way, sugar is possibly the worst and most unhealthy way you could choose to put on weight - it will make you feel rubbish too if you are using it for that purpose.

I have purchased protein powders, I am still thin, and they are more expensive than sugar...

Avocados also very tasty, I love them but they don't make me put on weight...

Sugar sometimes is the answer as it does not make me feel full and so I can continue to consume it even when I do not feel hungry...

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The same can be applied to sugar, which can cause to obesity, diabetes, heart disease and numerous other health problems. The difference between taxing sugar and tobacco, is that we tax tobacco to make people reduce or stop smoking completely - but we would be taxing sugar to force the industry into putting less sugar in their products.

but not on fruit juice or other carb heavy foods. so cut down on the cola and cake, carry on regardless on the apple juice (more sugar), chips, pasta, bread, cheese, avocado, beans, rice, nuts so on.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I need to put some weight on.

I paid sugar tax on coke (two cans a day) and still can't put weight on...

Not everyone needs to lose weight and why shouldn't people enjoy sugar as part of a healthy diet?

Contradiction here.
Sugar in Coke etc is not really part of a healthy diet.
Too many fat children who will only get fatter.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Contradiction here.
Sugar in Coke etc is not really part of a healthy diet.
Too many fat children who will only get fatter.

Sugar for people who are underweight is part of a healthy diet. Foods that fatten, leave you feeling too full to be able to eat enough calories. That's why some people need sugar.

Teach people to be responsible for their own weight.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have purchased protein powders, I am still thin, and they are more expensive than sugar...

Avocados also very tasty, I love them but they don't make me put on weight...

Sugar sometimes is the answer as it does not make me feel full and so I can continue to consume it even when I do not feel hungry...

Marry me ! My last two wives have put on weight no problem !

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sugar for people who are underweight is part of a healthy diet. Foods that fatten, leave you feeling too full to be able to eat enough calories. That's why some people need sugar.

Teach people to be responsible for their own weight.

I will try! Promise:)

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
All of those things are good for you? Artificial sugar is not

they are good for you as long as you dont eat too much of them. refined sugar is ok too in moderation. if it were artificial it wouldnt be a problem, though the conspiracist love to knock sweetners too.

point is education is the way forward, not taxation. we know from other sin taxes they dont work, even when punitive, if people really want something.

Last edited:

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
10% on any processed foods will do...

We have good banks because some cant affird to eat, you have both parents working two jobs to pay over priced rent and over inflated council tax, eho eould suffer if processed food was higher taxed, not those with time and money thats for sure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here