Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Thanks to you all

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Evening all. Hope you're all well.

It's the start of a new year, I've had a few, my nearest and dearest have all hit the hay for the night and I'm in a warm, hazy, reflective frame of mind. Brace yourselves. This might get gooey.

2018 was an odd year for me. I've spent more than a quarter of a century in the cold embrace of the civil service. Diminishing returns have kicked in. It's a grind with a pay cheque at the end and nothing more. An unexpected light has emerged at the end of the tunnel in the form of freelance work with the wonderful folk at Sussex Sports Photography. Now I get to go out at weekends and spend time with enthusiastic people that are happy to see me. It's been a liberation but it comes at a cost. I've spent chunks of the past year working 6 or 7 day weeks. I've been happy but often a happy zombie.

In the summer my mother suddenly and unexpectedly passed. I wasn't able to say goodbye, although I content myself with the fact that the last time I saw her was a day full of laughter and love. Two months on my only child left for university. It was a moment of huge pride but was tempered by the early stages of Empty Nest Syndrome. It's an odd sensation to be full of hope for the future and simultaneously wanting to freeze time.

Basically, the second half of the year was a test. I know we all have them and many among you will face (or have faced) far worse. Part of what gets us through such times are our rocks, our constants and our "islands of safety". It might be our families, our routines or our hobbies. Oddly, it turns out that NSC is one of my rocks. OK, perhaps rock is too large a word but it's definitely a fairly reliable stone.

BHAFC has been a part of me for almost 40 years. It's always there for me and when all is said and done, I don't really care how shabby a state it is in at any point in time. It always offers me a refuge: somewhere I know I am wanted and welcomed with a metaphorical hug and cup of Bovril. In recent years NSC has offered me the same service. I've dipped into a few other clubs' forums over the years and it seems there is nowhere quite like here. It's all here. We have politics, travel, film reviews, travel advice, helpful hints, music critiques, comedy, dark comedy, frankly blood pitch black comedy and football. Lots and lots of football (and Exile's match reports, which are just the best). I've only recently realised that NSC is now my second port of call each morning after the news. It has become one of my constants simply through the anchor that is our team.

This is almost an extension of the "best poster on NSC thread". The only reason it's not there instead is that you're all the best. I love the way you all speak up, smile, squabble or sympathise. Even the Palace visitors among you make me laugh occasionally.

Some of you will automatically file this away as a "look at me" thread. That's fine. I guess it is really but it comes with good intentions. Please keep on keeping on. Special thanks to the mods for keeping this insane show on the road. Thanks for your time, for the laughs and for the occasional surprising insight. I wish you all a good evening and a hopeful 2019.

And I'm just going to leave this here. I know that 99.9% of you will glide past it and rightly so but it makes me smile and I know one of you out there that will love it.

Cheers :cheers:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You’re welcome.

£100 please.

Send cheque to Mr P Barber, American Express Community Stadium...

(Seriously - nice post :thumbsup:

Petunia

Living the dream
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Believe me, it’s the first port of call to find out what’s going on from the other side of the world.

Except Brexit. I can’t do that thread. It’s like stepping into a playground full of fighting, badly behaved children!

Happy New Year [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] Lovely post:thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
When I power up the interweb thingy no matter where I am on the planet I have a tired and tested trio: Email followed by BBC News and then NSC.

Sometimes I don't bother with Aunty Beeb, especially if I am in need of a laugh and its probable that there has been a post on the Office Bellcheese thread overnight.

I have to say NSC helped my sanity enormously during Mrs Jakarta's cancer treatment over the last couple of years just because it was somewhere to come and immerse myself in the nonsense that is posted, especially about whether anyone could do a job at Left Back.

I had better stop as I don't want this to descend to Mumsnet Hun xxx :p

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Happy new year to you [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION]..... been a different year for many of us , a few haven't made it , been some first class binfests , topnotch put downs and some spine tingling , passive aggressive retorts from some masters of the dark arts , they know who they are.
Had a few dramas this year and no doubt there are more to come ,here's to the coming challenges , the spats , the smiles and laughter and the Albion related ups and downs and the beating of palace at their ground to cement our PL status and hopefully see them relegated....!!! is that too much to ask...?? only joking i prefer being in the same league as them , just hope they can keep up....:grin: all the best to everyone , just remember at the end of the day we can't all have the same views on everything , what a boring , pointless life that would be.....cheers Sydney.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Happy New Year [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION]

Great post and would echo your sentiments. Glad things are good with Ant and Sal as well.......hopefully see you at an event soon.

NSC is ace......I’m in the ‘email then NSC’ camp most of the time, no need to go to the news, if anything big has happened it’ll be on here anyway !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great post from [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION], I can relate to most of it, even the Civil Service bit ( I’d had enough after six months there though!)

NSC is a great place and I echo JH’s post :bowdown:

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I live alone. I don’t have to work as I have private and state pension, but I get lonely. I work in retail (part-time) so obviously I chat to loads of people, after that NSC is my second lifeline. You can’t have a football conversation with two four year olds and six year old granddaughters!
I go to all the home games and whatever the result, I’m on here to read whatever everyone’s views of the game was, even though I hardly ever comment myself.
If we’re playing away, I follow the game on NSC (and Twitter), because someone is always watching it on Sky and passing comments. So yes, NSC, you probably keep this old saddo sane!

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
NSC is one of my first ports of call as well when opening up an electronic device. Obviously Albion stuff and memories being the main reason, but so much else.

And I've had a funny year as well - my wife breaking her leg in May, then retiring from a full-on job at the end of August. Me retiring from the more restructured of two part-time jobs in July, three holidays - away touring Scotland in September to be away at the beginning of the next term as my wife was in education.

And now I'm waiting tosee if I need a hip replacement after hip pain over the last few weeks, and hoping it's something different, but we shall see.

And through all that the football has been Pretty good too!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Nice post from the OP and good to hear that track from Koyaanisqaysi too - one of my favourite films ever. Hope you have a good year sir.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27269]Denis[/MENTION] - what lovely heart felt posts. I echo, echo, the thoughts that NSC is a positive place on a whole range of subjects, or for just for virtual companionship/advice if feeling down or lonely. When you look at the inane tripe on other social media sites including at some other clubs, NSC is a class ahove. Whether that was by design, or just because Sussex/Albion people are more broad minded, cheers [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Glad things are good with Ant and Sal as well.......hopefully see you at an event soon.

Ant and Sal have been superb. They're an absolute pleasure to work with. I'll be seeing you out on the road in 2019. :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
2018 was an odd year for me. I've spent more than a quarter of a century in the cold embrace of the civil service. Diminishing returns have kicked in. It's a grind with a pay cheque at the end and nothing more.

Within the finishing line for an award from the Queen and you decide to leave the Civil Service, Sir Humphrey won't be happy.

Glad to hear you now have a happier working life

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here