Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Internet Network advice required please

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Blimey, it's the first day of the new year and I'm suddenly turning into BG. Here goes, my father purchased a Freeview recorder box for his partner approx 13 months ago and now it refuses to turn on, it gets to the initializing stage and then won't go any further in the start up process. He simply wishes to go and purchase a new one but as this was £150 I thought before sending it to the recycling yard NSC's Great minds could help me. I've read on t'internet that the issue could possibly be resolved with a software update but I need to connect it via an ethernet cable ( no problem, got one of them) but the last time I used my computer network to connect a device to run a diagnostic check I used my laptop. The laptop is now in storage along with all of my other worldly possessions and I'm currently using an android tablet. My question is, can I access the device on the network settings via my tablet to initialize the update?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
It might be worth trying a factory reset. There will probably some combination of buttons to press on the unit on power-on to achieve this. Google it for the particular model.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
In a browser... go to the "Web page": 192.168.0.1

The administrator name/password is normally written on thee bottom of the router.

This will get you into your network... what to do from their depends on the rest of the hardware

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you're intending to plug the DVR into the home hub device, then your tablet is on the network, it should be possible to see the DVR. trouble is having the tools to go further, connecting to the device, downloading and unpacking the update so on. id say possible but quite a faff on a tablet. better off seeing if you can borrow someone laptop.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It might be worth trying a factory reset. There will probably some combination of buttons to press on the unit on power-on to achieve this. Google it for the particular model.

In a browser... go to the "Web page": 192.168.0.1

The administrator name/password is normally written on thee bottom of the router.

This will get you into your network... what to do from their depends on the rest of the hardware

if you're intending to plug the DVR into the home hub device, then your tablet is on the network, it should be possible to see the DVR. trouble is having the tools to go further, connecting to the device, downloading and unpacking the update so on. id say possible but quite a faff on a tablet. better off seeing if you can borrow someone laptop.

Thank you. I will try each idea in turn and see how I do.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Ha. Thanks. I held the power button for about a minute and the unit came to life. I managed to get into the settings menu and format the hard drive. Everything seems to be OK now. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here