Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Has it really?

Two places that I have a bit of an emotional attachment to. We had a kid in our class at secondary school who was the only Asian in the year and one of about three in the school. He was part of our gang though and a lovely lad. Imagine my suprise a couple of years on when me and my dad went for a take away at Curry Mahal and he was behing the counter, serving. We got extra poppadums, large portions and a thank you from the owner for being kind to his son. I hadn't been back since moving to central Brighton in 1992 until about a month ago when we went for my friend's birthday after drinks at the George Payne. TBH we were the only customers at 8,30 on a Friday night and it was far from great. Loyalty to the family stopped any sort of bad review, on here or elsewhere but, with hindsight, I now understand why it was poor.

The Ashoka, meanwhile, provided the meal on my stag do 19 years ago. I liked it, but not enough to go regularly.

I suspect both are simply suffering from how much food over here has moved on. They are traditional British Indians with Bhangra music, flock wallpaper and everything made from a single base sauce. If I have a take away - and I hardly ever do because I can cook my own Indian - it's Hove Tandoori and, for sit down, Chilli Pickle. It might also be a lack of second and third generation Bangladeshi immigrants willing to take these places on and modernise them a bit. When we went back to the Mahal last month my friend was not working there.

Spot on I would say, in days of yore if we wanted to go out for an exotic meal, we were given a straight choice, Indian or Chinese. In more recent years of course that has all changed, we can sample the cuisine of Thailand, Korea, Malaysia, Vietnam and all measure of far flung Eastern delights, especially in the large towns and cities.

As you say , now the original Indian restaurant owners from Sylhet have all but retired, and the younger generations of those families aren't so keen to take the businesses on. The price of progress I suppose.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Has it really?

It was all dark on Saturday evening when I was going past so took a closer look and there are posters in the window declaring it he been possessed by bailiffs. Five years ago I thought it was great, since then it seemed to become very ordinary so hardly been for last couple of years. Like you I tend to use Hove Tandoori now.
Danny’s on the other hand was heaving as ever - I always imagined there was a loyal crowd of regulars who alternated between the two. You could say the same of Danny’s - not moved with the times etc- but it thrives on being friendly, reliable and good at what it offers.
I also noticed one of the Thai places on Portland Rd has shut down - it’s odd, on the one hand more and more money pouring into that area and more coffee shops etc opening, on the other hand basic places closing down.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It was all dark on Saturday evening when I was going past so took a closer look and there are posters in the window declaring it he been possessed by bailiffs.

Shame :(

Danny’s on the other hand was heaving as ever - I always imagined there was a loyal crowd of regulars who alternated between the two. You could say the same of Danny’s - not moved with the times etc- but it thrives on being friendly, reliable and good at what it offers.
I also noticed one of the Thai places on Portland Rd has shut down - it’s odd, on the one hand more and more money pouring into that area and more coffee shops etc opening, on the other hand basic places closing down.

Danny's is fantastic and we're regulars. My kids absolutely love it. If ever we're eating out they either want to go there or to Bincho Yakitori.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can someone tell me if you can just drink at Fourth and Church on a Saturday evening. The website says it’s a wine bar but then seems to mention eating at every opportunity and never states you can swing by for just wine.

Jul 7, 2003
Not a restaurant but I think I'm addicted to those sausage rolls at the Coffee shop in Findon as recommended by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Best sausage rolls in Worthing at are at The Pantry near Worthing crossing. Fantastic buttery pastry and very well filled.

The new pasty place in Montague Street isn't bad - the roast chicken and sage ones are excellent. They also do the lightest Belgium Buns I have had and with a chocolate icing if you want.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
After the debacle that was Amaya, I felt the need to book somewhere I knew I’d like. So yesterday I spent 80 minutes making 654 calls to Sushi Tetsu getting the engaged tone before getting through on call #655. They have 7 seats and operate a 2 sittings per night system, so I knew I’d have a better chance of bagging a space if I said I wanted 3 rather than 2. Sure enough, I got the last spaces in the late sitting for the week that was being booked. Can’t wait.

All I have to do now is find a third!

Oh - Tiger & Pig, Brixton market. Asian-inspired BBQ small dishes and Taiwanese bao.

They’re getting rave reviews. Maybe 8 small dishes and 4 bao options. We found the bao better than the small dishes, and thought it “just fine”. If we wanted this type of food and we were close-ish, we’d go again. Good value though, £36 for two including teas and tip, for enough food for brunch.

Not as good as Mamalan, right next door though. This has been our go to place in Brixton Market for a while now. Excellent steamed dim sum, and other small Chinese plates.

We used to eat at the truly outstanding Kricket when they operated out of a container in Pop Brixton (Indian - actually [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION], this would be on my list of best Indians), but haven’t been since they moved into permanent premises in Soho. No need now, they’ve opened an additional place just outside Brixton Market - that’s our next trip the Brixton sorted.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
After the debacle that was Amaya, I felt the need to book somewhere I knew I’d like. So yesterday I spent 80 minutes making 654 calls to Sushi Tetsu getting the engaged tone before getting through on call #655. They have 7 seats and operate a 2 sittings per night system, so I knew I’d have a better chance of bagging a space if I said I wanted 3 rather than 2. Sure enough, I got the last spaces in the late sitting for the week that was being booked. Can’t wait.

All I have to do now is find a third!

Person? If you're struggling, do keep me in mind.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can someone tell me if you can just drink at Fourth and Church on a Saturday evening. The website says it’s a wine bar but then seems to mention eating at every opportunity and never states you can swing by for just wine.

As already mentioned, yes you can. BUT you're missing something if you don't eat there .... go on .... have a few tapas dishes .... make sure you include the cauliflower one :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As already mentioned, yes you can. BUT you're missing something if you don't eat there .... go on .... have a few tapas dishes .... make sure you include the cauliflower one :thumbsup:

Noted. I am planning to visit and eat at some point but before then I’m going to be in Hove post Southampton game. Wanted to swing by for a drink. I’ll no doubt have a few bites as well.... but I’m saving the main eating until a later date.

Oysters and IPA at The Urchin, Watchmakers, Bison Beer, Fourth and Church..... after beating the Saints. (obvs Cin Cin prematch)

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Had a walk along the seafront yesterday and ended up in Marroccos. Only been for a coffee or ice cream before.
Wife had the ravioli special with salmon and aubergine and I had a seafood spaghetti dish. Both quite superb very friendly staff and wife got talking to the owner. Shared a dessert and finished off with a couple of very good coffees. 2 pints and food the bill came to £50. Loads of Asian visitors ordering the seafood. Quite a place to eat and will be back soon.

Jul 7, 2003
Up in Manchester on business so, in my capacity as the NSC burger critic I thought I would drop into Almost Famous - one of the highest rated burger joints in the city.

Went for the Guy Ritchie burger - Double cheeseburger, cheddar, wonder buttered peppered steak, shoestring onions, pickles, smoky bacon ketchup, chipotle mayo. On the side I went for phoenix fries - mix of potato and sweet potato fries, bacon rain, JD maple glaze, shoestring onions, frazzle dust, chillies, bacon bacon mayo & redneck BBQ

I was disappointed with the look of the burger when it turned up. Much smaller than I thought - two small patties (probably 3oz) and no char to them so quite grey looking. However, once I bit into it, there was a good quality meat taste to the burger and the toppings were good (I had mine without cheese). The Phoenix fries were very good. They managed to cook the sweet potato fries without them being either too soggy or burnt - something a lot of places fail with. The flavours all worked really well and didn't make the chips soggy.

This place is not up to the standard of Burger Brothers or Trolls Pantry but if you are in the area then it isn't a bad place to visit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here