Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Little Fish Market becomes Little Meat Market for a week in January, from Tuesday 7th for 5 nights. Just managed to get a table for the Thursday so you would probably need to get in quick. 69 quid set menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. If I was in town I’d be bang up for this. Be interesting to read your review.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We went to Davies and Brook at Clarridges for lunch last Friday, outstanding. Daniel Humm is the chef, having moved from 11 Madison Park in NYC. It was early days and the staff were a very tiny bit still finding the ropes, but the atmosphere and ambience were both excellent. The food was exquisite, so flavoursome, fresh and beautifully presented. Wine list was extensive, all much as you’d expect.

For us it was a treat, a small group of us having saved up all year to do something special as we always do in December. It’s beyond most peoples (including us) budget to do on a whim, but with Michelin Stars just a formality, I’m pleased we did it, and would love to do it again. If you can, then I’d recommend you go, I really can’t see anyone being disappointed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So, I went to The Little Fish Market on Friday night with my good friend [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] and one other. In most aspects it’s a very simple, but elegant, restaurant which means all the focus is on the food. So the food has to be spot on. And spot on it was. Precision, care, thought, wit and skill with the ingredients, cooking and presentation are all there. It’s one tasting menu only, and obvs it’s fish. My personal pics were the first course proper, which was delicately smoked fragranced trout shashimi dish which was served from the wooden box in which it had been prepared. The meal was bookended by a small mackerel eclairs covered in grated Parmesan at the start and then what looked like the same dish at the end....only this time it was a sweet version with desiccated coconut replacing the Parmesan. Clever. Something else which came to mind is that I have been to most of the other Brighton fine-dining places and a number of them feel like they’re trying a bit too hard. LFM doesn’t, but it easily trumps the others.

Earlier in the day I had a up of tea, a corned beef sandwich and a bag of Frazzles at my father’s. My world was perfect on Friday. Everything was about to change.......

Glad you liked it. He's some chef. You normally get an egg out of them which I'm somewhat partial to. How was yours?
PS we had the mackerel eclair last time there
PPS is shashimi raw fish for stoneheads?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Glad you liked it. He's some chef. You normally get an egg out of them which I'm somewhat partial to. How was yours?
PS we had the mackerel eclair last time there
PPS is shashimi raw fish for stoneheads?

Hmmmm. I see I’ve gone a bit Shteve Maclaren.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, I went to The Little Fish Market on Friday night with my good friend [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] and one other. In most aspects it’s a very simple, but elegant, restaurant which means all the focus is on the food. So the food has to be spot on. And spot on it was. Precision, care, thought, wit and skill with the ingredients, cooking and presentation are all there. It’s one tasting menu only, and obvs it’s fish. My personal pics were the first course proper, which was delicately smoked fragranced trout shashimi dish which was served from the wooden box in which it had been prepared. The meal was bookended by a small mackerel eclairs covered in grated Parmesan at the start and then what looked like the same dish at the end....only this time it was a sweet version with desiccated coconut replacing the Parmesan. Clever. Something else which came to mind is that I have been to most of the other Brighton fine-dining places and a number of them feel like they’re trying a bit too hard. LFM doesn’t, but it easily trumps the others.

Earlier in the day I had a up of tea, a corned beef sandwich and a bag of Frazzles at my father’s. My world was perfect on Friday. Everything was about to change.......

I went back on my birthday a month ago and we also had the trick eclairs. He's an amazing chef and it's easily the best restaurant in Brighton. I only didn't post about it again as I would have been repeating myself but glad you got there and enjoyed it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to The Hove Place yesterday.

Chose it because we booked last weekend and really wasn't sure what we fancied. They do a selection of mains, Sunday Roasts but also have a big Charcuterie. Seems to be a focus on 'food miles' as everything on the menu tells you from how far it was served.

Bit of a strange place as feels like a fairly average chain (I don't think it is a chain, certainly not a national one) but good food.

Shared Charcuterie board in the end. £6 pp for bread / accompaniments then £3 per item. Advised to only get 2 things each, was surprised but the portions were big. Ended up having some local Truffle Brie which was brilliant & a cheddar with herb which was decent. Then a local salami & indian chorizo which was pretty hot and slightly interesting.

Beer selection is pretty good, mix of macro and some 'craft'.

Overall I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and will defo go back for a roast at some point

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went to The Hove Place yesterday.

Chose it because we booked last weekend and really wasn't sure what we fancied. They do a selection of mains, Sunday Roasts but also have a big Charcuterie. Seems to be a focus on 'food miles' as everything on the menu tells you from how far it was served.

Bit of a strange place as feels like a fairly average chain (I don't think it is a chain, certainly not a national one) but good food.

Shared Charcuterie board in the end. £6 pp for bread / accompaniments then £3 per item. Advised to only get 2 things each, was surprised but the portions were big. Ended up having some local Truffle Brie which was brilliant & a cheddar with herb which was decent. Then a local salami & indian chorizo which was pretty hot and slightly interesting.

Beer selection is pretty good, mix of macro and some 'craft'.

Overall I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and will defo go back for a roast at some point

I didn't realise it had gone gastro. Back in the day it was THE place to pick up a coked up 40-something divorcee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here