Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Lucky you!

Good question.

Starters: Obvs bone marrow. And the crispy pig skin and dandelion is great; it’s one of his classics. I love sardines and went giddy when I once saw them on his menu. I’m not sure what else to recommend really, there’s so much which is classic, simple but brilliantly executed.

For mains their pies are stunning, very rich and typically steak or game plus trotter. But they’re always for two so you need to be huge, solo and super hungry... or with a willing partner. f@ggots with cabbage and leeks in a mustardy based gravy/sauce was exceptional as well. I once went a little bit hung over and coldy, and it was pissing down and crap outside. I had the f@ggots and a glass of red and everything in my world was quickly perfect. The beef mince on dripping toast is also recommended.

I also go for things like kidneys and mash, liver and also had grilled ox heart a couple of times although I’m not sure I’d recommend these. Again, simple but brilliantly executed.

Oh man. Writing this has made me hungry and quite envious. Look forward to reading about your visit.

Thanks, HT!

I’m not keen on liver, but love kidneys (lamb for preference, but pigs’ too). I’m very keen on ******s, but haven’t had any decent ones since the ****** shop at the junction of Whitehorse Lane and Whitehorse Road closed several decades ago (remember that [MENTION=1721]Mr Putdown[/MENTION] [MENTION=33732]Swillis[/MENTION] ?)

I’m very partial to a pie, and the good lady Doctor her indoors is always willing. Isn’t that right, [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]?

I thought we were off there in a few weeks - turns out it’s 26/4; still, anticipation is a good thing!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I’m very partial to a pie, and the good lady Doctor her indoors is always willing. Isn’t that right, [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]?

According to the camera I had installed in your bedroom when the pair of you stayed with us, the anwer is indeed a YES.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks, HT!

I’m not keen on liver, but love kidneys (lamb for preference, but pigs’ too). I’m very keen on ******s, but haven’t had any decent ones since the ****** shop at the junction of Whitehorse Lane and Whitehorse Road closed several decades ago (remember that [MENTION=1721]Mr Putdown[/MENTION] [MENTION=33732]Swillis[/MENTION] ?)

I thought we were off there in a few weeks - turns out it’s 26/4; still, anticipation is a good thing!

A pleasure.
[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] has also been, maybe he has some thoughts.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Out at La Piazza in Hove Saturday night. Modern Italian. Two shared starters - pate and rissotto balls. Pate was very nice rissotto balls were a bit plain. Nothing wrong, just plain. Seafood rissotto for Mrs W for main and it was quite nice - bit of spice. I had roast lamb - otherwise known as half a sheep. Once again perfectly nice. This place is currently #1 in Hove on Tripadvisor ..... not entirely sure why .... it's perfectly nice but that is all it is 'nice'. There's plenty more interesting in the local area. Service was excellent though. 6/10.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A pleasure.
[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] has also been, maybe he has some thoughts.

I haven't been for three years, and used to go a fair bit c20 years ago when I lived in London, so a bit out of the loop. Everything's good, and brilliantly executed. The parsley and bone marrow salad's reputation is deserved. If there's a few of you, it's often worth ordering six madeleines to share in addition to desert. Equally, often a good idea to order an extra starter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I haven't been for three years, and used to go a fair bit c20 years ago when I lived in London, so a bit out of the loop. Everything's good, and brilliantly executed. The parsley and bone marrow salad's reputation is deserved. If there's a few of you, it's often worth ordering six madeleines to share in addition to desert. Equally, often a good idea to order an extra starter.

Good tip regarding starters. I deliberately do not touch the bread and butter so I have room for the bone marrow and another starter (the bone marrow comes with sourdough toast). Oh, have one bone marrow to yourself; don’t even think about sharing it.

They give you a lobster pick to tackle the bone; my technique is to break the 2 slices of sour dough into halves, stick the lobster pick in as far as it will go (maybe even out the other end if you can) and forcefully move the shard of the pick around the inside of the bone scraping the insides leveraging on the other end and let the marrow drop out onto the toast. You’ll need to do this a few times and maybe drag the pick out a few times to maximise the marrow on the toast; you will not want to waste a drop. One bone per piece of toast. A liberal sprinkling of the accompanying sea salt, a bit of parsley and enjoy. A gluck of wine, and repeat.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Amidst all the excitement about new places, I'd just like to say that the food at good old Terre A Terre is simply superb. I've been twice in the past few months and can't wait to go back.

Even if you're more of a meat eater you won't be disappointed, or leave feeling as though you've missed out. I promise

Jul 7, 2003
I see that Worthing MasterChef winner Kenny Tutt will be opening up his own restaurant in Worthing at the end of April. Taking over what was Nonna's Kitchen / Caraboa site so hopefully he has better luck. Plan is to use the top floor as private dining and possibly a cookery school.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I see that Worthing MasterChef winner Kenny Tutt will be opening up his own restaurant in Worthing at the end of April. Taking over what was Nonna's Kitchen / Caraboa site so hopefully he has better luck. Plan is to use the top floor as private dining and possibly a cookery school.

He was on Masterchef tonight as well

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I met with [MENTION=292]thedonkeycentrehalf[/MENTION] on Tuesday for a couple of beers in The Stone Brewing Tap Room (Stone San Diego Corey Magers & Elizabeth Bakas Burgeon Beer Co Mojay DIPA and a classic Stone Smoked Porter for me) before moving on The Bird BBQ for a couple more beers and some Texas BBQ*. This is the BBQ companion to the mighty Bird burger joint I go on about. I love this place, it also serves good craft, and I’m looking forward to his review. Oh, and he paid for my dinner as well.

* now that’s a nice evening

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
La Galleria - Shoreham, a Valentines visit.

Not sure where this restaurant is going, used to rate it very highly but last two visits have been a bit off piste so to speak.

Starters of garlic mushrooms and fried mozzarella with mains of spaghetti marinara and "galleria" chicken penne.

Food was good but to me the portions seemed downsized considerably, two prawns in a spaghetti marinera is that right and last two times we have been not really felt full if you know what I mean.

Still £60 with a house bottle of red, 6/10.

Time to revisit Toscas

Jul 7, 2003
I met with [MENTION=292]thedonkeycentrehalf[/MENTION] on Tuesday for a couple of beers in The Stone Brewing Tap Room (Stone San Diego Corey Magers & Elizabeth Bakas Burgeon Beer Co Mojay DIPA and a classic Stone Smoked Porter for me) before moving on The Bird BBQ for a couple more beers and some Texas BBQ*. This is the BBQ companion to the mighty Bird burger joint I go on about. I love this place, it also serves good craft, and I’m looking forward to his review. Oh, and he paid for my dinner as well.

* now that’s a nice evening

So, another business trip to Berlin and another opportunity to for an away food fixture with [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] although unfortunately his good Frau was not able to join us this time.

I was interested to try the BBQ place having been to the sister restaurant and it was also close to Stone so a good night was expected. The bar serves a good choice of beer and there are tables which are laden with BBQ sauce and kitchen roll - fine dining this is not. At one end of the bar is the BBQ servery and the key here is meat. The menu changes often and I was disappointed that they didn't have their home made spicy chorizo which I was hoping to try. Your food is served in US style on a tray although they have plates and cutlery available if you want.

HT and chose to share a platter and this came with brisket, turkey, ribs, sausage and - to try and get near our 5-a-day - some pinto beans and potato salad. HT had to eat all of the sausage as it was cheddar and jalapeno and I can't eat cheese but he said it was good. The ribs were obviously long smoked and meat fell off the bone. The turkey was excellent - very moist and well seasoned. However, the star of the show was the brisket. This was very good indeed and not only had great flavour but was so tender it melted in the mouth.

We left quite full (well I did - HT has an endless appetite) and it some of the best BBQ food I have had outside of the USA.

So, which of the two Bird eateries is best? The BBQ place is very good but I think the burger place just shades it but I will happily eat at either next time whenever I am next in Berlin.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Child friendly bottomless brunch! Haha!

The Jetty does one, not sure how child friendly they are but probably more than most.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
La Galleria - Shoreham, a Valentines visit.

Not sure where this restaurant is going, used to rate it very highly but last two visits have been a bit off piste so to speak.

Starters of garlic mushrooms and fried mozzarella with mains of spaghetti marinara and "galleria" chicken penne.

Food was good but to me the portions seemed downsized considerably, two prawns in a spaghetti marinera is that right and last two times we have been not really felt full if you know what I mean.

Still £60 with a house bottle of red, 6/10.

Time to revisit Toscas

What do you expect for sixty quid? . . . THREE prawns!

Seriously though, I've never visited this establishment, but price wise at least, it sounds very reasonable.

Jul 7, 2003
So, with yesterday being the fourth home Albion Saturday on the trot and also working away most of the week, I thought it best to treat Mrs DCH to a nice meal out last night so we made a return visit to Ami Bistro in Worthing.

We were seated in a nice comfortable booth and brought some ice cold water while we read the menu. Mrs DCH had the French Onion Soup for starters which she said had a really good deep flavour. I went for a pork starter which was very good - two Slow braised pork belly strips, with a black pudding bonbon, crackling, baked apple and apple purée.

For main, Mrs DCH had the Autumn chicken which is Roast chicken supreme served with parsnip purée, parmentier potatoes, buttered sprouts, crushed chestnuts, red wine jus and homemade cranberry sauce. Mrs DCH said the chicken was perfectly cooked and everything else was good. I went for Honey roasted duck breast served with fondant potato, braised red cabbage, tender stem broccoli and griottine cherry jus which all worked as a great combination of flavours.

I had a soft drink (driving) and Mrs DCH had a large glass of wine. The total bill for two came in at less than £60 and was worth every penny - the service was also very good.

I'm told by others that their breakfasts and Sunday roasts are also recommended.

Will definitely return again and recommend this to anyone looking for a good meal in the Worthing area. The only minor issue was a noisy table of six as noise does travel with the fairly low ceilings but I think the staff may have had a quiet word as the noise didn't last long.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ASPIC and Epicure both fit those criteria.

We’re looking to go to ASPIC, just need to secure this when bookings open. Danke.

Also, we’d like somewhere for steak, frites and wine. Is there a French version of Hawksmoor? Any recommendations on this will be gladly taken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here