Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Top man. I'm only sorry the afternoon didn't quite match the lunchtime. I watched it on a stream, and thought we were excellent, and cursed 'That is ****!ng cruel' when their winner went in. Anyway, beyond that, I love oysters. A long time ago, people used to get 80% of their protein from oysters on these Isles.

Any idea where the men got the other 20% from?

What?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Top man. I'm only sorry the afternoon didn't quite match the lunchtime. I watched it on a stream, and thought we were excellent, and cursed 'That is ****!ng cruel' when their winner went in. Anyway, beyond that, I love oysters. A long time ago, people used to get 80% of their protein from oysters on these Isles.

Same here; love oysters. And coincidentally this place is featured as the best restaurant of 2019 in today’s Observer Food section: https://oystermen.co.uk/. There’s no link to the article yet (I’m reading the iPad edition); I’ll post when it’s up.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Core by Clare Smyth 2* - Notting Hill (again)

“I’m a little worried”, said the GLDHI.
“Oh?”, I responded in my most wary manner.
“Would you like to know why?”
“Umm. It’s hard to say in advance. Would I?”
“I’m just hoping that you’re not disappointed”
“Why would I be disappointed? I thought it was outstanding last time”

We’ve been once before - in April last year, a few months after opening. My review here predicted an immediate award of two stars; unusually for me, the tyre company agreed with my assessment.

I’d arranged the booking through Gareth, the Head Sommelier we’d met last year, and who’s still there (as is the vast majority of staff - an impressive achievement). We turned up at the allotted time, and the solid front door was opened just as I started raising my hand to push it open - how did she know?

I gave her the name of the reservation... “ah, welcome back - you’ll notice some changes since your previous visit”.

This level of service continued through the entire evening.... empty wine glasses were instantly removed, the table wiped down of crumbs after every course etc. At one point, I deliberately emptied my water glass and started counting to time how long it took for someone to refill it - I didn’t get to “three”. I suppose this could be interpreted as implying that the service was over bearing - it didn’t feel that way. Rather, it was the actions of an extremely well trained staff whose intent was that you were cosseted through the whole evening.

The food was deeply technical. A mushroom tart had maybe six different mushroom components - the contents, the sauce, the pastry, a foam... all combining to make the lightest, yet deeply err mushroomy dish.

I loved it. The GLDHI was perplexed.

“But this isn’t at all like what you say you like. You say that your favourite food is excellent ingredients, simply cooked - this is most definitely not that. It’s deeply technical... even fussy. Also, the whole dish tastes the same - there are no flavour variations within the dish”.

She’s right on all counts.

“Well, this is the exception that proves the rule.” I offered.

She wasn’t convinced last night; I don’t think she is this morning either.

It’s incredibly rare that we don’t agree 100% about a meal. I’ll have to ruminate further. Not that she didn’t like it, you understand - she did. Very much. But she would place it lower in the best of all time list than would I.

We never take photos of our food, any more than we would video the artist at a gig. Apart from last night, when the GLDHI photographed two of the puddings:

EEC47E9D-082B-4827-A584-CCF97D3BD55C.jpeg

That’s a cherry Bakewell tart. Seriously. Served with a cherry bakewell liqueur. The stem is chocolate, the skin is a kirsch gel.

8D111E4F-2841-4374-AB65-F76676E58B0C.jpeg

This is a chocolate thing. But the reason I posted the image is those things balanced on top. They are about 4” long, and weigh nothing at all. They’re solid, not fluffy. Imagine the lightest, airiest candy floss you’ve ever had that’s then been crystallised. Take a bite, and it just disappears - leaving a malt taste. Utterly extraordinary.

This is the finest of “fine dining”. I still believe a third star will come - it’s that sort of cooking and that sort of service.

For me, I’d return every couple of years for a special occasion. For the GLDHI, I suspect she’d go somewhere else.

You’d either love it, or possibly feel it’s just too much. I’d be willing to bet you’d be impressed though, even if it’s not your thing.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's a great description of it, really captured my memory of what it was like. FWIW, it's a bit too fussy for me, and I'd rather go for the simplicity and sense of place of The Sportsman but, yes, boundaries are being pushed and, yes, the service there was exceptional (and this is not something that hugely bothers me, but you can't help but be impressed when they do a lot and rapidly but it never feels remotely intrusive).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thai Chai Yo in Worthing

Been open a few months and I believe changed hands already - located just south of Worthing crossing. Cash only , BYO Thai place. 1 girl running front of house, 1 chef about 24 covers.

Fairly simple menu handful of starters, wraps and mains of curries and noodles. Choice of Vegan, Prawn Chicken or Pork.

Food was absolutely spot on, Worthing has a lot of shit Thai places but my squid was clearly fresh and hand cut with a light batter and nice dark chilli / fish sauce over it.

For main I had Pork in Chilli Garlic & Basil, rated 2 chilli out of 5. Decent portion, nice pork fillet and super tasty. Coconut rice was just the right size portion.

Prices are a bit higher than you’d expect for the setting - £5 starter, £10 main, £3 rice generally - however this can offset the BYO policy (£1 corkage) - so ended up about £20 per head to be well fed.

By far the best Thai place in Worthing

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So a couple of outings this weekend ….. nothing as posh and grand as [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] though !

Firstly, a repeat visit to Petit Pois. As always, fantastic. Mrs W and I shared a starter of duck rillettes, toasted sourdough and pickles. Utterly delicious - not done to a pulp so you could still feel the duck. Mrs W followed this with monkfish, spiced butternut purée, broccoli stems, crispy bacon, hazelnuts. I'm not the biggest fan of monkfish but I have to say it was really good. I had the duck breast, celeriac dauphinoise, micro herbs salad, blood orange sauce. Duck was done spot on pink but no blood - lovely.

Finally we shared a dessert - trio of Crèmes Brulées. Wow - perfect. The cinnamon one was a particular highlight.

All washed down with a very decent Muscadet. One way we know if the food has been good is if we've finished the wine by the end of the food - half a bottle left after dessert so that equates to a bloody good meal. It's never going to win a star but it is really really good food. 9.5/10 ( and I don't know why I've deducted 0.5 of a point ! ).

PS - the blonde waitress was very very cute as well - something Mrs W commented on "she's exactly your type isn't she ?" …… *cough* …. hadn't noticed :whistle:

Secondly, post win yesterday and a house warming party last night, a decent stodgy lunch at the Ancient Mariner today. Best roast out I've ever had. Mrs W's pork belly crackling was an utter delight. Crispy but not tough …… and half a side of a pigs worth. My stuffed lamb was fantastic. All dishes had loads of veg - carrots, tender stem broccoli, parsnips, greens, celeriac, swede, red cabbage - might have been more. Great gravy and best yorkies I've had out. Oh, and free cauliflower cheese as we'd pre-booked - and it was nice and cheesy. Yes it's a roast, no it doesn't compete with the likes of the LFM or the Sportsman BUT it was a bloody good roast. 10/10

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So a couple of outings this weekend ….. nothing as posh and grand as [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] though !

Firstly, a repeat visit to Petit Pois. As always, fantastic. Mrs W and I shared a starter of duck rillettes, toasted sourdough and pickles. Utterly delicious - not done to a pulp so you could still feel the duck. Mrs W followed this with monkfish, spiced butternut purée, broccoli stems, crispy bacon, hazelnuts. I'm not the biggest fan of monkfish but I have to say it was really good. I had the duck breast, celeriac dauphinoise, micro herbs salad, blood orange sauce. Duck was done spot on pink but no blood - lovely.

Finally we shared a dessert - trio of Crèmes Brulées. Wow - perfect. The cinnamon one was a particular highlight.

All washed down with a very decent Muscadet. One way we know if the food has been good is if we've finished the wine by the end of the food - half a bottle left after dessert so that equates to a bloody good meal. It's never going to win a star but it is really really good food. 9.5/10 ( and I don't know why I've deducted 0.5 of a point ! ).

PS - the blonde waitress was very very cute as well - something Mrs W commented on "she's exactly your type isn't she ?" …… *cough* …. hadn't noticed :whistle:

Secondly, post win yesterday and a house warming party last night, a decent stodgy lunch at the Ancient Mariner today. Best roast out I've ever had. Mrs W's pork belly crackling was an utter delight. Crispy but not tough …… and half a side of a pigs worth. My stuffed lamb was fantastic. All dishes had loads of veg - carrots, tender stem broccoli, parsnips, greens, celeriac, swede, red cabbage - might have been more. Great gravy and best yorkies I've had out. Oh, and free cauliflower cheese as we'd pre-booked - and it was nice and cheesy. Yes it's a roast, no it doesn't compete with the likes of the LFM or the Sportsman BUT it was a bloody good roast. 10/10

Both sound perfect. They’re on the must-try list now - thanks!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ended up in La Choza last night. I remember lots of bright colours, especially reds and light blues. I remember very spicy tacos. And there was tequila. Quite a few tequilas actually. I also remember winning 2-0 and going to The Albert.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ended up in La Choza last night. I remember lots of bright colours, especially reds and light blues. I remember very spicy tacos. And there was tequila. Quite a few tequilas actually. I also remember winning 2-0 and going to The Albert.

I remember a Lindt chocolate. Yum.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I saw your fellow Berliner on the train back to Brighton. If you were on the flight home that he said you were on you have my undying respect :bowdown:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Anyone tried the re-opened Curry Mahal on Portland Road? I understand its alcohol free (not even BYO) which means I would have thought unless the food is exceptional it may struggle.
Ganges for me last night - pretty good - can be variable so a bit of a relief.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw your fellow Berliner on the train back to Brighton. If you were on the flight home that he said you were on you have my undying respect :bowdown:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha. Yes, we sat next to each other across the aisle. As he no doubt said, it was a hairy landing. I really felt for the lady in the window seat near to me; she had a mild panic attack, hyperventilating and grabbing onto anything and everything.... and then started spewing up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Printing Press Bar and Kitchen - George St, Edinburgh

A team meal hosted by my director for a group of us up in the Scottish capital for work this week. Table for six.

When we are up in Edinburgh we stay in the West of the city near the airport and there isn't much going on, restaurant wise. Therefore, for our infrequent team meals we all suggest somewhere to go in the City Centre. The Printing Press was my suggestion because I fancied Scottish and seasonal. My PD accepted the suggestion immediately. The pressure was on. My choice, shamefully, was based around a three minute google search and two online reviews, plus a look round the menu. But the menu had haggis, it had pheasant, duck, monkfish and scallops. It had a decent wine list and whiskys. What could go wrong?

And it was a good start. George Street was looking pretty with the Christmas lights on. One of our team is South African and met us at the entrance as he was staying in the city. He'd stayed at the The Principal, for which the Printing Press acts as the hotel bar and restaurant, and ate there three nights in a row. He approved. He is, however, a man who likes anything so long as it is Jack Daniels and Steak and Chips. I wanted game.

Three of us arrive before the other three. A waiter brings water but doesn't take other drinks orders. We sit and drink iced tap water and are ignored. Eventually my PD tries to stop a watress who looks about 15 years old. She ignores us. Another waitress eventually comes past. "Could we order some drinks?". "Sure". I order a G&T. "Would you like to order our new gin? It's fresh on today". "What style is it?" "It's....er......it's nice." I order a Bombay Saphire, When it turns up ten minutes later there's no lemon.

Eventually the rest of our group arrive and the PD orders two bottles of Merlot. Since the Saffer will be drinking JD and an Indian team member doesn't drink, that's plenty. We'd discussed choices and these were two steaks (one for guess who), monkfish with bacon and lentils in a red wine jus and I wanted the pheasant. The Merlot is a great all rounder that will suit all that. It's terrific.

But that's it. We are left with two bottles of red, a JD, a badly made gin and some water for a very long time. We talk among ourselves.

Eventually a waitress comes along. She takes our order. "I'm afraid there's no more pheasant" she says before starting. Damn. I'll have the duck breast then.

Orders complete we talk again. The waitress returns in less than five minutes looking crestfallen. "I'm afraid there's no more duck either".

Now, I could have the pork belly, the vegetarian risotto or the monkfish. All look ok. But I'm already starting to get the impression that there's only one wiinning dish here. "I'll have a ribeye steak, medium rare please".

Another very long wait.........

Eventually the food turns up. The two monkfish eaters report that it is excellent. The vegetarian risotto goes down amazingly with the Indian girl - "this is amazing". And the steak? Perfectly cooked medium rare and as tender as a hug from a family member. The chips are hot, crisp, evenly coloured, perfectly salted and just the right thickness. The bone marrow gravy is ace. The Merlot works. Happy days.

Then, after another very long wait the plates are cleared. The PD asks for the bill and orders an Uber. The Uber turns up before the bill.

Food? 8/10 (so long as you don't actually want seasonal Scottish fare)
Food ordering by the kitchen? 1/10
Service? Not even worth a rating.

We didn't tip.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Printing Press Bar and Kitchen - George St, Edinburgh

A team meal hosted by my director for a group of us up in the Scottish capital for work this week. Table for six.

When we are up in Edinburgh we stay in the West of the city near the airport and there isn't much going on, restaurant wise. Therefore, for our infrequent team meals we all suggest somewhere to go in the City Centre. The Printing Press was my suggestion because I fancied Scottish and seasonal. My PD accepted the suggestion immediately. The pressure was on. My choice, shamefully, was based around a three minute google search and two online reviews, plus a look round the menu. But the menu had haggis, it had pheasant, duck, monkfish and scallops. It had a decent wine list and whiskys. What could go wrong?

And it was a good start. George Street was looking pretty with the Christmas lights on. One of our team is South African and met us at the entrance as he was staying in the city. He'd stayed at the The Principal, for which the Printing Press acts as the hotel bar and restaurant, and ate there three nights in a row. He approved. He is, however, a man who likes anything so long as it is Jack Daniels and Steak and Chips. I wanted game.

Three of us arrive before the other three. A waiter brings water but doesn't take other drinks orders. We sit and drink iced tap water and are ignored. Eventually my PD tries to stop a watress who looks about 15 years old. She ignores us. Another waitress eventually comes past. "Could we order some drinks?". "Sure". I order a G&T. "Would you like to order our new gin? It's fresh on today". "What style is it?" "It's....er......it's nice." I order a Bombay Saphire, When it turns up ten minutes later there's no lemon.

Eventually the rest of our group arrive and the PD orders two bottles of Merlot. Since the Saffer will be drinking JD and an Indian team member doesn't drink, that's plenty. We'd discussed choices and these were two steaks (one for guess who), monkfish with bacon and lentils in a red wine jus and I wanted the pheasant. The Merlot is a great all rounder that will suit all that. It's terrific.

But that's it. We are left with two bottles of red, a JD, a badly made gin and some water for a very long time. We talk among ourselves.

Eventually a waitress comes along. She takes our order. "I'm afraid there's no more pheasant" she says before starting. Damn. I'll have the duck breast then.

Orders complete we talk again. The waitress returns in less than five minutes looking crestfallen. "I'm afraid there's no more duck either".

Now, I could have the pork belly, the vegetarian risotto or the monkfish. All look ok. But I'm already starting to get the impression that there's only one wiinning dish here. "I'll have a ribeye steak, medium rare please".

Another very long wait.........

Eventually the food turns up. The two monkfish eaters report that it is excellent. The vegetarian risotto goes down amazingly with the Indian girl - "this is amazing". And the steak? Perfectly cooked medium rare and as tender as a hug from a family member. The chips are hot, crisp, evenly coloured, perfectly salted and just the right thickness. The bone marrow gravy is ace. The Merlot works. Happy days.

Then, after another very long wait the plates are cleared. The PD asks for the bill and orders an Uber. The Uber turns up before the bill.

Food? 8/10 (so long as you don't actually want seasonal Scottish fare)
Food ordering by the kitchen? 1/10
Service? Not even worth a rating.

We didn't tip.

Would anyone providing an explanation for the 'service' have to be moved to the B... thread?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sussex's new Michelin Star restaurant was sampled last weekend - Interlude.

You get a choice of 14 or 19 courses ( in reality 15 or 20 but more on that in a moment ). It's a set menu and you have no idea what it will be - there's no published menu.

First impressions are fantastic - old country manor house done up impeccably. Mrs W even decided to take a photo of the toilets they were so good ! You're seated with other guests in the bar to start with and offered drinks and a tree with crispy chicken skin. Think pork scratching's but on another level. You are then seated in a 10 table restaurant. Then the fun begins. You've no idea what's coming until it's delivered. We went for the 14 courses ( thank god ! ). Each course is delivered with a little card explaining the dish and where the foraged ingredients have come from on the estate. Every dish has at least one ingredient that has come from the estate.

I'm not going to spoil the surprise for anyone that wants to go by publishing the menu but you do get a menu at the end to take away.

Firstly the service is nothing short of top class. The wine list is also very good.

Now the food. It's very very clever. Some stuff is absolutely out there and the idea of a madman. Other stuff is very satisfying. For me the two highlights were the beef tartar and the deep fried chicken feet ( yes really ! ). For Mrs W the rabbit doughnuts with carrot dip were the stand out.

It's not going to fill you like say a pie and mash restaurant but the food is so rich that by course 12 I was almost begging for no more. How on earth anyone does the 19 courses is beyond me.

Overall, clever and worth the ( expensive ) experience. The Sportsman is better though. Interlude may have gone for being clever over 'experience' as there is a lot of whacky ideas which are very much personal taste. LFM trumps them as well.

Would I go back ? Yes, but in a different season. I enjoyed the experience immensely but it's certainly a foodie place rather than an "I want to go for a posh dinner". It's location also causes challenges if you want to drink.

I won't mark it as it's such a mixed bag for many many reasons.

Jul 7, 2003
Kenny Tutt Presents Pitch

Finally managed to get to Pitch in Worthing last night (or Kenny Tutt presents Pitch as it is written on the menu). Mrs DCH booked up around six weeks ago to get a Friday night reservation and even then, it was a little later than we would prefer.

Warmly greeted on arrival with someone taking our coats. While waiting to be taken to our table, the barman had a little chat to us which was all very nice. As soon as we were seated we were offered water (tap or sparkling) and a bottle of tap water appeared on our table within a few seconds while we looked over the menus. As well as the usual a la carte they had their Christmas menu as well. The Christmas menu is a set price (£30 for two courses, £35 for three courses) and while most of the dishes are taken from the main menu there is a roast turkey ballotine and Christmas pudding on there.

I chose the Wild Boar and Spiced Apple donuts to start which were very good. Mrs DCH had the Smoked duck croquettes with umboshi plum mayonnaise - again quite rich but very nice. For main, Mrs DCH had the Turkey which she said was excellent - a posh xmas dinner with loads of duck fat roasties. I had the Spiced duck breast with duck leg pastilla, pumpkin, lavender and sour cherry. The duck was perfectly cooked and rested and the spicing was mice and subtle. I had some triple cooked garlic and rosemary chips on the side.

Neither or us were drinking alcohol so I had a pomegranate lemonade and Mrs DCH had a spiced apple drink, both of which were good.

We were planning to have a dessert as they sounded great - especially the caramelised rice pudding. However, to our surprise, the portions in this restaurant are good and with the food being so good, neither of us had room so we settled for hot drinks before heading out on a cold night - the wife had a latte and for me, the friendly barman made an off menu chai tea latte which was excellent.

Bill came in at around £70 before service charge which we thought was good value for great food. The service was excellent throughout and our waiter was friendly and attentive but not in your face. The room did get a little loud but that was Friday night diners enjoying themselves rather than having to shout over music like some places.

Will definitely be returning to this fine addition to the Worthing dining scene.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Kenny Tutt Presents Pitch

Finally managed to get to Pitch in Worthing last night (or Kenny Tutt presents Pitch as it is written on the menu). Mrs DCH booked up around six weeks ago to get a Friday night reservation and even then, it was a little later than we would prefer.

Glad to see this, my better half keeps nagging me to go and this has instilled some confidence.

Quick one but went to the Brunswick & Thorn last night. It’s a decent cafe / restaurant and they are doing a bi-weekly Steak night with steaks sourced from Garlic Wood farm in Horsham.

Sirloin or Ribeye 200g, £18-£20
Cote De Beouf - £38

Sides £2-£4

Glad to have high quality and well cooked steak in Worthing. Rib eye was 35 day aged and beautiful, cooked perfect medium over an open flame. Shared sides of Green Beans & Bacon, Truffle Mac & Cheese, Skin on Chips. All good and fair sized portions for the cost, especially compared to some steak places that are £5+ for large portions of sides.

Bottle of Malbec was ok and £20. Shared a decent dessert of Sticky Toffee pudding w/ caramel ice cream. All in about £80 with an optional tip. I think they’d like it a bit busier as they don’t want to over buy steak, they’d sold out of Cote Du Beouf by 7.30 but wanted Rib Eye anyway. Worth a visit to support an independent that also does a very good roast too!

Jul 7, 2003
Glad to see this, my better half keeps nagging me to go and this has instilled some confidence.

Quick one but went to the Brunswick & Thorn last night. It’s a decent cafe / restaurant and they are doing a bi-weekly Steak night with steaks sourced from Garlic Wood farm in Horsham.

Sirloin or Ribeye 200g, £18-£20
Cote De Beouf - £38

Sides £2-£4

Glad to have high quality and well cooked steak in Worthing. Rib eye was 35 day aged and beautiful, cooked perfect medium over an open flame. Shared sides of Green Beans & Bacon, Truffle Mac & Cheese, Skin on Chips. All good and fair sized portions for the cost, especially compared to some steak places that are £5+ for large portions of sides.

Bottle of Malbec was ok and £20. Shared a decent dessert of Sticky Toffee pudding w/ caramel ice cream. All in about £80 with an optional tip. I think they’d like it a bit busier as they don’t want to over buy steak, they’d sold out of Cote Du Beouf by 7.30 but wanted Rib Eye anyway. Worth a visit to support an independent that also does a very good roast too!

Didn't know this place did proper food - thought it was a café bar. Might give this a go as I used to buy my beef from Garlic Wood Farms when they had their shop in Steyning. How does it compare to Macmillans which is supposed to be the best steak in town (and another I have still to visit)?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn't know this place did proper food - thought it was a café bar. Might give this a go as I used to buy my beef from Garlic Wood Farms when they had their shop in Steyning. How does it compare to Macmillans which is supposed to be the best steak in town (and another I have still to visit)?

Yeah it doesn’t always promote itself as an obvious place but the breakfasts and roasts are very good so we gave it a go, glad we did.

To be honest not been to Macmillan’s for about 10 years so unsure. I did hear the owner had passed away and their son(?) is opening it now, although fairly infrequently. When did you last go there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here