Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's a cheap price .... just a standard one. I'm currently "between jobs" so the choices about how to spend money are very tight ! Good luck with the RAC - have you considered Green Flag as a cheaper alternative ?

I know it sounds daft but I am not really sure about Green Flag, they are individual breakdown companies aren't they ? I sort of think that RAC/AA give a better service as its a national company.

Lush

Mods' Pet
As I say, I'm not suggesting it's somewhere we'll be popping out to often...

And there lies the problem. Worthing is a cheaper place to set up a restaurant, but it just doesn't have enough people who want 'fine dining' on a regular basis. And those that do are very much of the "I know what I like and I like what I know" generation.

Hopefully the TV reputation will help.

Anyone remember RED? A superb restaurant, with amazing food run by a top chef in the centre of Worthing. Wasn't even that expensive, but didn't last long :(

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone remember RED? A superb restaurant, with amazing food run by a top chef in the centre of Worthing. Wasn't even that expensive, but didn't last long :(

Even I can't remember that! When / where was it ?

N17

Jun 21, 2011
My last four

Thackery's -Tunbridge Wells. The £20 three course lunch deal remains incredible value. I have, as yet, never had anything to eat in there that i haven't liked. You can also get a flight of wine to accompany for £15. Fabulous.

Buxted Inn. I really like it & the food has always been good although i was disppointed with the main on the most recent visit.

The Salt Room - Brighton. We had the £40 sunday roast for two, We were very pleased although we had to change a drink as it just didn't 'seem right'.

Cote Brasserie in T.Wells. The first time i ate from the a la carte menu is was unimpressed with the portion size but the most recent visit was very good. The food was excellent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And there lies the problem. Worthing is a cheaper place to set up a restaurant, but it just doesn't have enough people who want 'fine dining' on a regular basis. And those that do are very much of the "I know what I like and I like what I know" generation.

I this slowly changing though? I would not have bet on the numerous craft beer ventures lasting long if you’d asked me a few years back. Now they’re springing up everywhere.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
As I say, I'm not suggesting it's somewhere we'll be popping out to often, but for where I think he's trying to pitch things, ie fine dining, the prices don't seem that bad.

That comes with the territory of setting up in Worthing instead of Brighton though.

Time will tell what sort of mark he hits, but it would amuse me no end if Worthing picks up a star before Brighton does!

I agree, for what I envisage the quality of food to be this is priced very well I think and as I say a reason to go further afield to eat

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I agree to an extent, but Worthing is seriously lacking in fine dining so Pitch doesn't have much viable competition at launch.

The Brighton ripple has seen a lot change in Worthing - more craft beer places than anyone could imagine, some truly great pubs and even men noshing each other off in the town centre in broad daylight. Food is one area where it feels Worthing is still a bit behind - maybe Pitch can help change that.

N17

Jun 21, 2011

Lush

Mods' Pet
Even I can't remember that! When / where was it ?

It was on Montague Place, I think where the Bravo Cafe was - also closed down. Tricky space as you can't really see in, but nice inside.

Chef was Daniel Clarke who is a much better chef than a businessman looking at Google. Apparently is/was involved in the menu at the Woodmans Arms on the A27 so might be worth a visit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was on Montague Place, I think where the Bravo Cafe was - also closed down. Tricky space as you can't really see in, but nice inside.

Chef was Daniel Clarke who is a much better chef than a businessman looking at Google. Apparently is/was involved in the menu at the Woodmans Arms on the A27 so might be worth a visit.

With the Woodman Arms also closed - https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/woodman-arms-pub-next-to-a27-suddenly-closes-1-8836001 - sounds like your man!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Toscas - Shoreham

Not been here for a good few years but thought we would re-acquaint.

Starters - both had garlic mushrooms and mains of pasta, seaford and a chicken type and not bad in my view. All food well cooked and seasoned, decent portions and a very agreeable house red.

8/10 will go again

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Riddle & Finns

My fave Brighton ‘splurge’ - Singapore Crab. With french fries to drop into the sauce.

Decent as always, service wasn’t amazing but they were mobbed. No offer of water and had to wait a while after the Crab turned up for little picker instrument.

First time having a dessert too. Shared a CHOCOLATE ORANGE MILLE-FEUILLE , not a big sweet fan but that was sublime.

Only downside was the Bloody Mary which was odd tasting, hardly any taste of tomato but an overwhelming spicy cucumber taste.

Oh and 12.5% service charge + £1.50 PP cover charge (what?!)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh and 12.5% service charge + £1.50 PP cover charge (what?!)

Just sorting out going there in a few weeks time, WTF is £1.50 PP cover charge about ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just sorting out going there in a few weeks time, WTF is £1.50 PP cover charge about ?

In all honesty I am not sure - the only thing I could think of is potentially for the Bread and accompaniments. If we weren't rushing for a train I would have asked

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The 'optional' service charge is bad enough but to also force bread etc on you and charge for it ? Really ? WTF ? I'll order and pay for bread if I want it !!!!

RandF.JPG

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The 'optional' service charge is bad enough but to also force bread etc on you and charge for it ? Really ? WTF ? I'll order and pay for bread if I want it !!!!

View attachment 109091

No to be fair - my missus asked for it to accompany her crab salad and because it wasn't itemised I assumed that is what it is for.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In my (inevitably unconsummated?) search for proper haute cuisine Indian, and after the debacle of AmayaAvoid a few weeks ago, the GLDHI and I are off to Gymkhana tonight. I don't know whether to be optimistic or resigned. A bit like my attitude to the City game really.

Tomorrow, I'm off with a mate to Pique Nique. I've been once before, and can't remember if I posted about it - it was excellent last time.

Saturday = brunch in Brixton market somewhere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here