Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Having worked, for a good chunk of my working life, for MEA, the national airline of the Lebanon, l am, perhaps not surpringly, very keen on Lebanese cooking.

I know of two Lebanese restaurants in Brighton, Kambis, (which l tried many years ago), and another, Al Rouche, in Preston Street. Has anyone eaten at either establishment? Which did you prefer?

Been to Kambis many times. Always decent but never blown me away.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had a very nice evening in Cin Cin Brighton this Friday prior to the Hot Chip gig.

Nice vibe and great food, I’d definitely visit again.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Had a very nice evening in Cin Cin Brighton this Friday prior to the Hot Chip gig.

I tried it for the first time the other week (it was the Hove branch), and that was precisely my sentiment. There were four of us and we sampled each other's dishes. About eight out of ten of them hit heights, which is more than impressive in my book, especially their pasta dishes. They're pretty good value too for what they are.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Trying the Victoria Market Halls tomorrow - any recommendations?

Tried to go there yesterday but it was just way too busy. We could have eaten but, in all likelihood, we would have had to do so vertically. I doubt you'll struggle with this tomorrow. I've been to:
Flank -- wouldn't bother
Roti place -- this is excellent, and their roti are something else
The ramen bar -- was impressed with this too

Yesterday I would have tried their pasta place or, more likely, the Mexican. On the whole, it's such a good idea. We went to something similar in Manchester before the United game, which was also good. Expect to see more of these pop up around the cityscapes. One in Brighton would be more than welcome.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That’s a perfect night right there!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Market Hall Victoria: Pretty busy even on a Monday evening but easy to get served at the bar and get a table for six of us. Lets start with the positive - the food we had from the Roti King was very nice. A kind of Thali on a banana leaf - reminded me of the kind of thing you’d get in the Indian restaurants in Singapore. However three of the six choices on the menu they’d run out of, it took 15-20 mins to arrive despite no queue at all. - feel they are missing a trick by not having some samosas or bhajis to snack on while waiting. Others had Fanny’s kebabs (fnarr) which were ‘ok’.

The down side, and I don’t want to sound like an old git here, the NOISE. 7pm on a Monday evening you don’t really need thumping 80s music (Eg Spandau Ballet Gold) - so loud that everyone has to shout at each other to make themselves heard.
To be honest it was so bad we finished our food and went to the dreadful Shakespeare pub next door so we could have a chat. Maybe it’s a different place at lunch time but I won’t be going back in the evening. All in all pretty disappointing experience.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Couple of trips out over the weekend.

Firstly New Steine Bistro. A French place which we've been to a number of times. Always go on a Groupon ( this time a gift from the In-Laws ) as the prices are a bit high for the quality. A decent enough sharing meat board to start with and really good bread. Mrs W had Sea Bass for main which was excellent. Chicken ballotine for me - a bit dry - and the mustard sauce was far too strong. Disappointing they've removed the guniea fowl from the menu. Dessert for Mrs W was chocolate mousse - far far too sweet - strange given the French love their dark bitter chocolate. I has an OK lemon meragne pie. Overall 6/10. Won't be rushing back unless of course the in-laws gift us another Groupon.

The Witchezs - as always a fantastic meal. I still say the poached pear with goats cheese and walnuts is the best starter I've ever had anywhere and it didn't disappoint this time either. Mrs W had the pesto little hooves - sublime. I had half a sheep with chips and veg. As always, perfectly cooked and the portion sizes are BIG. Service as always was very friendly and personal. 10/10.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Couple of trips out over the weekend.

Firstly New Steine Bistro. A French place which we've been to a number of times. Always go on a Groupon ( this time a gift from the In-Laws ) as the prices are a bit high for the quality. A decent enough sharing meat board to start with and really good bread. Mrs W had Sea Bass for main which was excellent. Chicken ballotine for me - a bit dry - and the mustard sauce was far too strong. Disappointing they've removed the guniea fowl from the menu. Dessert for Mrs W was chocolate mousse - far far too sweet - strange given the French love their dark bitter chocolate. I has an OK lemon meragne pie. Overall 6/10. Won't be rushing back unless of course the in-laws gift us another Groupon.

The Witchezs - as always a fantastic meal. I still say the poached pear with goats cheese and walnuts is the best starter I've ever had anywhere and it didn't disappoint this time either. Mrs W had the pesto little hooves - sublime. I had half a sheep with chips and veg. As always, perfectly cooked and the portion sizes are BIG. Service as always was very friendly and personal. 10/10.

I was trying to work out what that had autocorrected from but having looked at the menu it's become clear.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know.
57837d0ec4f216f9ac7183f813bfde22.jpg
We haven’t had a photo of a burger for a while have we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Trying the Victoria Market Halls tomorrow - any recommendations?

Only been to Kerbisher & Malt twice, last time Chelsea away and as stated it gets really packed so might be a better place for lunch........

Superb fish and chips, really tasty

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know.
57837d0ec4f216f9ac7183f813bfde22.jpg
We haven’t had a photo of a burger for a while have we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats your verdict on Brewdog / Stone Berlin thing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good question. I really like Stone and like their style of beers. I liked the fact they were brewing their core range and test/pilot series here and loved the fact I could buy these on tap 10 mins from my office in their tap room. And above all, and anyone who has visited the brewery will surely agree, the Mariendorf site was incredible. It was like a craft beer playground. They have style and finess and I will miss all of this. I am disappointed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good question. I really like Stone and like their style of beers. I liked the fact they were brewing their core range and test/pilot series here and loved the fact I could buy these on tap 10 mins from my office in their tap room. And above all, and anyone who has visited the brewery will surely agree, the Mariendorf site was incredible. It was like a craft beer playground. They have style and finess and I will miss all of this. I am disappointed.

Yeah seemed to have mixed verdict on it, seemed to be popular but apparently they were only getting about 30% output from the brewing side.

I reckon Brewdog will capitalise on a lot of their mistakes, but hope they take time to understand how different the German market is and keep it fairly respectful

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah seemed to have mixed verdict on it, seemed to be popular but apparently they were only getting about 30% output from the brewing side.

I reckon Brewdog will capitalise on a lot of their mistakes, but hope they take time to understand how different the German market is and keep it fairly respectful

Brewdog will certainly have a better chance of success. Stone didn’t have much, if any, of a foothold in Europe. Brewdog do, especially around Scandinavia, and they have bars all over mainland Europe. And this brewery will service mainland Europe which they need after they got turned down when they applied to increase the size of their Ellon facility. They now have that capacity for Europe and it’s Brexit proof to boot.

Business wise it is a shrewd move and it will be a success, I’m sure. But the Mariendorf venue was nice and I dread to think what it will be like once Brewdog have pimped it up. Stone had style and finess, Brewdog are loud and in your face. And one thing Brewdog are good at is making things bigger and more in your face. By the time Brewdog have finished reworking the site I reckon you’ll be able to see it from the moon and hear it from Brighton. :lolol:

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton

www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2019/04/05/BrewDog-acquires-Berlin-taproom-and-brewery-from-Stone-Brewing

Thanks for posting the news on this Springal. KInda sad but a collaboration can only make the Craft Beer Market stronger.

Stone have good craft beers and in my opinion they have good beers but are not the best but managing to get two/three decent craft beers on the Shelf in Asda for a very good price is a great achievement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I took the family to Murmur for a mothers day get together, chose it because it seemed child friendly and had expectations that the standard of food would be good due to it being the sister restaurant of 64 degrees. Well, what a disappointing experience it was, we agreed to have a late table booking 3.30pm however we had to wait 45 minutes for our table primarily because there was a large table in the restaurant that were in no hurry to move, they were just sitting there with no food or drinks having a chat while we waited outside on a table directly below the restaurant extractor fan! We had a 5 and 7 year old who were extremely hungry getting more inpatient by the minute yet the staff seemed generally in no hurry, unapologetic and pretty disinterested. After complaining they offered us some bread and olives as a way to say sorry however we even had to chase for the bread twice before it arrived on the table!

As for the food that was OK, nothing special and certainly didn't make up for the poor service - overall 3/10.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here