Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 84855565758596061 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lemming Stomper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having just binged watched all four series of 'My Name is Earl' I fancy a trip to The Crabshack (Worthing), probably lunchtime with a beer...

Any good? If so any offers/specials worth checking out ? Ta
    I've only been the once, principally because I'm a veggie, but yes it is good and well-regarded by most. Certainly worth a visit if you've not been before.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      The Little Fish Market
      This was my second visit, having first been soon after it opened. I wasn't terribly impressed then. There was ambition, good ingredients and, at times, good execution. There was also bad execution, and a disappointing wine list -- including an abomination, an apple ice 'wine' from Canada. It seemed to be trying very hard, but not delivering on its ambition.

In the intervening three? (four?, five?) years, either it's transformed itself and really got its act together, or I (we) was (were) wrong in our assessment. @CHAPPERS has calmly and persistently opined that it's the best restaurant in Brighton. I think I now agree with that. The ambition's still there, but it's delivered on, and I can only think of two 'errors' in the six courses (plus extras) that we had. One of those was with the bread, which was for the most part good, but slightly undercooked at the bottom -- this could easily have been dealt with by cutting away that bottom part, and we wouldn't have noticed. The other was a dish that one in our party described as one that 'doesn't eat well'. That's an accurate description, it was lots of nice things (crab, potato and olive crisps, dried tomato) that didn't go well together. In contrast, all the other dishes transpired to be more than the sum of their parts. Three in particular stand out. First, one of those extras, which was an egg shell, containing an artichoke puree, egg yolk, smoked haddock and a little bit of passion fruit. Another was the dessert, containing lots of different forms of raspberry that @Guinness Boy has already enthused about on this thread. But the final one was the show stopper, which was fish and chips, with tartare sauce. Quite comfortably the best fish, chips and tartare sauce that the four of us had encountered. The cod(?) was in the most delicate batter, but had been brined for 30 minutes which did something wonderful to its texture -- Mr 'Doesn't Eat Well' thought it was moist, I thought it was firm; either way (assuming it can't be both), it was just extraordinary.

Still not wild on their wine list, which is about the only aspect that could be improved upon in my view -- the best being an impressive Grillo from Planeta. I can see why it's being talked about in terms of Michelin stars as, on this evidence, it's more than worthy of one.
      I went for the first time on Friday and was equally impressed. The service was spot on and the food delivered.

The egg appetiser and fish and chips you mention were on the menu and didn't disappoint. Passion fruit is an unusual addition but it really worked. And the fish and chips really was perfect.

No complaints from me with regard to the bread. The ideal vehicle to mop up the array of foams and sauces, including a wonderful green Thai curry that came with crab. The star of the show for me though was the lobster; not only did it look beautiful but it was also big on flavour.

One minor gripe was that my turbot was underseasoned ones and a smidge overdone. The dish was still good overall though.

As you'd expect from a chef of his experience, the pudding was much more than an afterthought. A beautiful combination of raspberry, almond and pistachio rounded off the meal perfectly.

Everything was washed down with a bottle of vinho Verde that did what it said on the tin- crisp, clean and refreshing with a touch of fizz.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      I have been to this place a few times and like it. Jay Rayner does as well

Black Axe Mangal, London: ‘Come and let the food rattle your eyeballs’
      https://www.theguardian.com/food/201...st-john-legacy
      I read this, and thought of you.
      Am very keen to go, and am by no means put off by the decibels.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      I have been to this place a few times and like it. Jay Rayner does as well

Black Axe Mangal, London: ‘Come and let the food rattle your eyeballs’
      https://www.theguardian.com/food/201...st-john-legacy
      Great review, as always by Rayner. This place is right up my street.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      I read this, and thought of you.
      Am very keen to go, and am by no means put off by the decibels.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakero View Post
      Great review, as always by Rayner. This place is right up my street.
      I took a couple of friends before the Cup semi-final. I’d say it’s the perfect place for lunch prior to a London away game.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Last night my brother and his wife took my wife and me to AMI Bistro in Rowlands Rd Worthing for a good evening. The food was great and the service couldnt be faulted. I will definitely be going again and would rate it 9/10 It would have been 10 but like most restaurants these days when providing Liquer coffees did niot ask if we wanted sugar so as to add it at the same time as the brandy. and thus not disturb the cream.

0 Not allowed!
      I see that they guy who had the highly recommended food van on the outskirts of Chichester has now opened up in bricks and mortar premises on Southgate Chichester https://thepassstreetfood.co.uk/restaurant/

Anyone been there yet?
      She’s the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki

0 Not allowed!
      My mum can’t come to the Burnley game so the GLDHI is using her seat. We’re making a weekend of it, and have booked Riddle & Finn’s for Friday night and Little Fish Market for after we batter Burnley. Any particular favouritesoff their menus?

Also, brunch recommendations for Sat & Sun very welcome.
      2A. K2-18b

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      I'd still suggest the same place I mentioned when you last asked!

https://www.northstandchat.com/showt...=1#post8959893
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      My mum can’t come to the Burnley game so the GLDHI is using her seat. We’re making a weekend of it, and have booked Riddle & Finn’s for Friday night and Little Fish Market for after we batter Burnley. Any particular favouritesoff their menus?

Obviously Little Fish Market is set menu so no choices. As for R&F - barring my last visit - I've always enjoyed the smoked haddock with champagne sauce.
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."