Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's been well and truly Gastro-pubbed. Bloke who coaches my son's football team knows them and recommended it to us but we've not been yet. I suspect they needed to gentrify it after it was covered in puked up Kobe beef by an unruly oik :whistle:

Looking forward to seeing some in-depth reviews by the cognoscenti on here. Certainly seems to have come a long way from the Withdean days when it was a bog standard decent backstreet pub with an awkwardly shaped bar that took up most of the available bar space and an ill-placed pool table.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Popped to goeman ramen for Saturday lunch after their rise in to the top 20. Very tasty and not breaking the bank.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Come on [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - some of us are waiting to see if it is worth going to Pitch and others are waiting to find out what Ham, Egg and Chips looks like for £17

Can’t comment on the £17 ham, egg and chips I’m afraid but we ate at Pitch Friday evening and had an absolutely superb meal. 4 of us all had 3 courses and not a complaint on anything. I had ham and cheese doughnuts to start followed by a steak and a superb lemon dessert (which I believe may have been his masterchef winning sweet?)
My wife had Scallops followed by Turbot which she said were both cooked perfectly. Excellent wines as well, we had a very nice Sauvignon and a superb Malbec.
Very nice decor and ambience and brilliantly attentive staff which was quite something for a place that’s only been open a couple of weeks.
We’ve eaten in most of the “good” restaurants in Brighton (as there’s not really been any in Worthing up til now) over the years and I’d say he’s right up there so well done Kenny.
Can’t wait to go back!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Gorilla Kitchen, Worthing prom

Gorilla Kitchen, usually based in Brighton and deserving of a mention in the Observer, are now rocking up on Worthing seafront on Summer weekends.

Fancying a pizza, we wandered along yesterday mid-afternoon to check them out. I'm not sure what I was expecting, from their prices but, in hindsight, I wonder if the lack of pricing on their online menu is intentional.

Prices started at £8 for a basic margarita and went upwards from there. I didn't clock all the prices as we went straight in for the Summer Garden, which was £12, to accompany a margarita.

The pizzas were good - thin and crisp - which is how I like them, with some nice charring in places on the crust. Toppings quantities were spot on too.

They set out some table chairs and stools on the beach and although the weather wasn't brilliant, it was mild enough to sit outside whilst munching.

My concern for them is the price. Fiordilatte is our go-to for pizza in Worthing - great authentic pizza and gelato served by Italians. Even with the overheads of running a restaurant, we generally pay £7-8 per pizza there, making £12 feel somewhat expensive from a street food setup.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gorilla Kitchen, usually based in Brighton and deserving of a mention in the Observer, are now rocking up on Worthing seafront on Summer weekends.

Fancying a pizza, we wandered along yesterday mid-afternoon to check them out. I'm not sure what I was expecting, from their prices but, in hindsight, I wonder if the lack of pricing on their online menu is intentional.

Prices started at £8 for a basic margarita and went upwards from there. I didn't clock all the prices as we went straight in for the Summer Garden, which was £12, to accompany a margarita.

The pizzas were good - thin and crisp - which is how I like them, with some nice charring in places on the crust. Toppings quantities were spot on too.

They set out some table chairs and stools on the beach and although the weather wasn't brilliant, it was mild enough to sit outside whilst munching.

My concern for them is the price. Fiordilatte is our go-to for pizza in Worthing - great authentic pizza and gelato served by Italians. Even with the overheads of running a restaurant, we generally pay £7-8 per pizza there, making £12 feel somewhat expensive from a street food setup.

And The Guardian lists is under Cheap Eats. Maybe it is for Brighton?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Got into Little Fish Market this week, look forward to giving it a go.

Downside just had 10 days in Portugal which has drained my bank account.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Walked past them quite a few times going out in the evening when they are at London Road station. Also thought they were very expensive especially as I can sit down in Fatto Manno and have a quality pizza for cheaper.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Finally made it to Little Fish Market last night. Been meaning to ever since [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] probably first mentioned it but for whatever reason never quite made it until now!

Booked about a 4-5 weeks ago and could only get a 7pm or 9pm table last night. Good timing it seems as this week they were awarded a place in the 'National Restaurant Awards' Top 100. Kind of a big deal apparently and they were happy to appear at number 90. Etch also went in at Number 66.

Not going to write a long review but really enjoyed it, was slightly tentative at the amount of fish on offer (5 Courses + the other bits that went with it) but it was alright, Red Snapper + Crab early doors mixed it up a bit. My only slight down-mark is the Roasted / Grilled / Pan-Fried fish course were similar (Cod / Sea Bream / Hake) and the Hake was slightly underwhelming, potentially needed a bit of chorizo or something to lift it. Excellent execution of cooking though and how 1 waiter runs the whole floor is amazing. Service was spot on, not to over bearing but was attentive.

Oh and Norman Cook was in there with a couple of mates, bit of a regular by the sound of it :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Finally made it to Little Fish Market last night. Been meaning to ever since [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] probably first mentioned it but for whatever reason never quite made it until now!

Booked about a 4-5 weeks ago and could only get a 7pm or 9pm table last night. Good timing it seems as this week they were awarded a place in the 'National Restaurant Awards' Top 100. Kind of a big deal apparently and they were happy to appear at number 90. Etch also went in at Number 66.

Not going to write a long review but really enjoyed it, was slightly tentative at the amount of fish on offer (5 Courses + the other bits that went with it) but it was alright, Red Snapper + Crab early doors mixed it up a bit. My only slight down-mark is the Roasted / Grilled / Pan-Fried fish course were similar (Cod / Sea Bream / Hake) and the Hake was slightly underwhelming, potentially needed a bit of chorizo or something to lift it. Excellent execution of cooking though and how 1 waiter runs the whole floor is amazing. Service was spot on, not to over bearing but was attentive.

Oh and Norman Cook was in there with a couple of mates, bit of a regular by the sound of it :)

Interesting, I'm going tonight (again!) with another couple as it is Mrs GB's birthday. I won't bore everyone with yet another review but I'm also glad we got in early with a booking if they're now Top 100 in the country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting, I'm going tonight (again!) with another couple as it is Mrs GB's birthday. I won't bore everyone with yet another review but I'm also glad we got in early with a booking if they're now Top 100 in the country.

It’s also Frau Tubthumper’s birthday today.

Have a good one!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

See you there. Going to Fourth & Church beforehand for a few liveners, so might ruin your domestic bliss. Apologies in advance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Did he order the Funk Sole Brother?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right Herring, Right Now?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s also Frau Tubthumper’s birthday today.

Have a good one!

Cheers!

Have they ever been seen in the same room at the same time before?

The "big day" is next week and her German is terrible :wink:

See you there. Going to Fourth & Church beforehand for a few liveners, so might ruin your domestic bliss. Apologies in advance.

There's four of us on the 7pm sitting and I'm sure we'll be contributing to the atmosphere after a couple of vinos! Say hello if you see me. Will likely be in a yellow Pretty Green t-shirt and hopefully trousers of some description.

Did he order the Funk Sole Brother?

:lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Cheers!

The "big day" is next week and her German is terrible :wink:

There's four of us on the 7pm sitting and I'm sure we'll be contributing to the atmosphere after a couple of vinos! Say hello if you see me. Will likely be in a yellow Pretty Green t-shirt and hopefully trousers of some description.

:lolol:

We'll be the ones arriving early (the restaurant have even encouraged us to do so), hurrying you off your table. No slacking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here