Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I never feel obliged to pay a service charge - to expect for people to pay it in a burger bar is quite frankly ridiculous.

My thoughts as well but you kind of feel obliged

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The meal sounds shit all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was ok, not shit but an extremely weird way, to me, of serving meal.

Am I too generous, perhaps I should not pay service charges as I suspect they do not go to the staff serving.

Would you have asked for the service charge to be removed

Jul 7, 2003
I never feel obliged to pay a service charge - to expect for people to pay it in a burger bar is quite frankly ridiculous.

To be fair, this isn't a burger bar - it is in a restaurant setting. You get seated and people bring your food and drinks etc just like any other restaurant. Okay, you don't get plates but you do get glasses for your drinks etc.

However, I also object to service charges being added to your bill - especially where there are only two of you dining.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was ok, not shit but an extremely weird way, to me, of serving meal.

Am I too generous, perhaps I should not pay service charges as I suspect they do not go to the staff serving.

Would you have asked for the service charge to be removed

From at least one of your past posts on here, I certainly don't have you filed under the label "too generous" when it comes to tipping.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
From at least one of your past posts on here, I certainly don't have you filed under the label "too generous" when it comes to tipping.

Another wonderful put down, thanks I feel honoured

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Amaya, Belgravia. 1 star. Indian.

Short version: 1 star? Far cough.

Long version: CBA.

£320 for 2. I’ve been had.

Avoid.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Efes - Worthing

Time to celebrate as bragging rights restored.

Turkish restaurant :http://efesworthing.co.uk

Starters of Grilled Halloumi (Mrs) and King Prawns (me) - both extremely tasty with bread and Meze added.

Mains Madalyon (lamb) and I had Chicken in Blue Cheese sauce - both mains well cooked, seasoned and very tasty and washed down with a very fruity Chilean red.

I think this place is very good, decent price and very good food so 8/10 and worth a re-visit.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Went to Jia Mo at the bottom of Ship Street on Friday after a few drinkypoos and very much enjoyed a pork shoulder bun and some pork noodles. It's run by a young Chinese guy and was very excellent. Simple fare from a small menu but all fresh as you like and cooked brilliantly.

Highly recommended.

9/10

*please note I as quite drunk but had already had dinner so reckon this balances out in terms of drunken bias*

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not a restaurant but I think I'm addicted to those sausage rolls at the Coffee shop in Findon as recommended by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Talking of sausage rolls, has anyone else ever sampled a pork & apple sausage roll from the various branches of Truffles? In a word, delish.

I even had to get off the bus enroute to Brighton last week, so that l could treat myself to one from their Henfield branch. Once consumed l resumed my journey 30 minutes later on the next bus.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Efes - Worthing

Time to celebrate as bragging rights restored.

Turkish restaurant :http://efesworthing.co.uk

Starters of Grilled Halloumi (Mrs) and King Prawns (me) - both extremely tasty with bread and Meze added.

Mains Madalyon (lamb) and I had Chicken in Blue Cheese sauce - both mains well cooked, seasoned and very tasty and washed down with a very fruity Chilean red.

I think this place is very good, decent price and very good food so 8/10 and worth a re-visit.

Hmmm I have been intrigued by this restaurant for some time, but as a proud Grecophile, should I be tempted do you think?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hmmm I have been intrigued by this restaurant for some time, but as a proud Grecophile, should I be tempted do you think?

I would go, Turkish it is and decor accordingly but very good food and good pricing as well in my view.

Don't go in wearing a Greek flag t-shirt and you will be fine.........

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I also had the misfortune to visit Zizzi's at the Marina on Friday night which is a disgrace and a huge pisstake in terms of pricing and people shouldn't ever go there. 3/10

Saturday's meal out was at the Independent on Queens Park Road which had a good reputation for food but I am always underwhelmed by it. It's not terrible but there's lots of pubs doing better food than them, for less money. Good beer selection though.6/10

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I see Curry Mahal on Portland Road has closed. The Ashoka has also closed half its premises. Two institutions with problems.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I see Curry Mahal on Portland Road has closed. The Ashoka has also closed half its premises. Two institutions with problems.

Has it really?

Two places that I have a bit of an emotional attachment to. We had a kid in our class at secondary school who was the only Asian in the year and one of about three in the school. He was part of our gang though and a lovely lad. Imagine my suprise a couple of years on when me and my dad went for a take away at Curry Mahal and he was behing the counter, serving. We got extra poppadums, large portions and a thank you from the owner for being kind to his son. I hadn't been back since moving to central Brighton in 1992 until about a month ago when we went for my friend's birthday after drinks at the George Payne. TBH we were the only customers at 8,30 on a Friday night and it was far from great. Loyalty to the family stopped any sort of bad review, on here or elsewhere but, with hindsight, I now understand why it was poor.

The Ashoka, meanwhile, provided the meal on my stag do 19 years ago. I liked it, but not enough to go regularly.

I suspect both are simply suffering from how much food over here has moved on. They are traditional British Indians with Bhangra music, flock wallpaper and everything made from a single base sauce. If I have a take away - and I hardly ever do because I can cook my own Indian - it's Hove Tandoori and, for sit down, Chilli Pickle. It might also be a lack of second and third generation Bangladeshi immigrants willing to take these places on and modernise them a bit. When we went back to the Mahal last month my friend was not working there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here