Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I visited Cin Cin for the first time last night. It won't be my last visit.

The Vine Street one? As you know, and as a budding pasta maker myself, I love everything about the place. Chef is a lovely, and knowledgable, gent as well. He’s given me a few tips on pasta over this season.

Being nosey, what did you have?

I’m really pleased they’re getting the recognition they deserve especially as I think It’s a tough market for independent Italian restaurants.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I got taken to the Coal Shed the other night. Starters were excellent, but the steak was disappointing. Which surprised me, given that is their thing. A big lump of meat on the bone was ordered, but it was unevenly cooked and tough in places. Glad I wasn't paying.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I got taken to the Coal Shed the other night. Starters were excellent, but the steak was disappointing. Which surprised me, given that is their thing. A big lump of meat on the bone was ordered, but it was unevenly cooked and tough in places. Glad I wasn't paying.

Very surprised to hear this. Every time I've been the steak has been excellent - Mrs W has sent it back a couple of times as it wasn't cooked enough for her but there was nothing actually wrong with it - she just can't stand pink meat ! Best steak outside a couple of places I know in France.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Very surprised to hear this. Every time I've been the steak has been excellent - Mrs W has sent it back a couple of times as it wasn't cooked enough for her but there was nothing actually wrong with it - she just can't stand pink meat ! Best steak outside a couple of places I know in France.

will give it another go, just need to find another mug to pay for it!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Vine Street one? As you know, and as a budding pasta maker myself, I love everything about the place. Chef is a lovely, and knowledgable, gent as well. He’s given me a few tips on pasta over this season.

Being nosey, what did you have?

I’m really pleased they’re getting the recognition they deserve especially as I think It’s a tough market for independent Italian restaurants.

We went to the Hove one, merely because they had preferred seating than the one in the Laines. There were four of us and we had most of the things on their menu and all tried what others had, so we tried most their menu. Pasta was really good, the truffle one working the best, but I had a veal ragu which cost £12, and you'd really struggle to get so well executed a dish at that price elsewhere in Brighton. Everything was of a really high standard, and we had a couple of very good bottles, and a few further glasses of wine. Good, open, generous, friendly service as well. The owner was there, and was similarly forthcoming in sharing/helping culinary knowledge, techniques, etc.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, the rabbit pasta dish I had in Cin Cin last year (or even year before which means I'm well overdue, stupid babies eh) was the best cooked thing I have had since I last went to Little Fish Market.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So....I need some help from the great and good on this thread.

Wedding anniversary is end of April. Little Fish Market are either on holiday or full as nothing doing on any day near the event. My next thought was Pascere - then remembered it had closed (any news on a new site yet?). My choice would be 64 Degrees but the wife got the hump with them turfing us out last time when the second sitting turned up a few minutes early so that's a non-starter as far as a romantic dinner for two goes. Murmur is where we go with the kids. I hated Isaacs.

Any other strong favourites out there? Etch? Cin Cin? Somewhere else amazing that I haven't remembered?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

Wedding anniversary is end of April. Little Fish Market are either on holiday or full as nothing doing on any day near the event. My next thought was Pascere - then remembered it had closed (any news on a new site yet?). My choice would be 64 Degrees but the wife got the hump with them turfing us out last time when the second sitting turned up a few minutes early so that's a non-starter as far as a romantic dinner for two goes. Murmur is where we go with the kids. I hated Isaacs.

Any other strong favourites out there? Etch? Cin Cin? Somewhere else amazing that I haven't remembered?

I wouldn't call either Cin Cin places for romantic meals even if the food is very good. Not been to Etch but heard very good things about it. You could try Semolina which is small and quite intimate or maybe Petit Pois which is a really top notch place. If you're after hearty food more than refined but still in a small place then the Witzhes do some fantasic food.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Cin Cin or Fourth & Church for me. The former more for the food, the latter if you want to drink some amazing wine at highly reasonable prices. Etch was a bit meh for me. Decent but really expensive, trying a bit too hard. The other two have a bit more of an identity about them, but they're less 'comfortable'.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

gingerman? I’m going for the first time next week. Polpo is fun, also heard good things about the new tapas place at bottom of North St - Pabellon?

swd40

Mar 22, 2006

Arundel too far?

http://theparsonstable.co.uk/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cin Cin or Fourth & Church for me. The former more for the food, the latter if you want to drink some amazing wine at highly reasonable prices. Etch was a bit meh for me. Decent but really expensive, trying a bit too hard. The other two have a bit more of an identity about them, but they're less 'comfortable'.

Just had a look at Fourth and Church's website. My word. Between the food and drinks menus it covers just about everything I really enjoy eating and drinking. I will work on convincing the better half. Sancerre by the glass should help as an incentive.

Cheers, everyone else.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Gingerman have dined at all their local restaurants and looking forward to their new branch opening in April at the new shopping area off North Street

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just had a look at Fourth and Church's website. My word. Between the food and drinks menus it covers just about everything I really enjoy eating and drinking. I will work on convincing the better half. Sancerre by the glass should help as an incentive.

Cheers, everyone else.

It's better than that. They're also a wine shop (carrying about a third of Butlers' range), and you can buy wines at shop prices with £10 corkage on top. This means that you can drink a £50 wine for £60, whereas the best you'd do elsewhere is a mark-up trebling, or the more usually applied 300% standard mark-up (recommended by accountants) to £200.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

Cheers, everyone else.

Try the roasted and raw cauliflower dish and the ricotta gnocchi ..... STUNNING !!!!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Cheers, everyone else.

Good choice - a plate of charcuterie with some good fino is a great way to start.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here