Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Riddle & Finns (the one on the beach), BN1

“Welcome to the best restaurant in town”, said our waiter, Louis (pronounced Louie) as he presented the menu to us.

“Yes, we’re looking forward to it. We’re having a fishy weekend; we’re off to Little Fish Market tomorrow night too”.

His face fell. “Oh. Now that probably is the best restaurant in town”.

The GLDHI and I shared a raised eyebrow look.

He brought a basket of OK+ bread, accompanied by excellent dips, particularly a mackerel pate.

I ordered 6 oysters as an amuse bouche - 3 Jersey natives and 3 rock, and proceeded to enjoy them one by one, much to the jealousy of the GLDHI, who loves oysters, but is violently sick after eating them. They were fresh, and utterly delicious.

“Yes”, said Looie, “We really do do good oysters”.

Another eyebrow-raising moment was shared at the implication that the rest of the food wasn’t so good.

“Is that a carrot you have tattooed on your thumb?”, I asked Looee as he came to remove the shells. “*Sigh*. Everyone thinks that. I think it’s because it looks like a carrot when I have my thumb straight. I had my thumb bent when I had the tattoo done. It’s a jalapeño; look”. Sure enough, it looked like a jalapeño when he bent his thumb. He also had the word “slowly” inked just above the wrist. Perhaps that was an instruction from his girlfriend? Or possibly it morphs into a giraffe when he flexes his wrist?

Out come our starters: tempura tiger prawns for me, sea bass ceviche for the GLDHI. The prawns were large, but they were NOT tempura. The batter was standard fish and chip shop batter, not the light batter that is, err, the definition of “tempura”. They were grossly over-cooked. The ceviche was 80% lettuce, 10% mayo, 10% sea bass. When you could find a piece of fish, it was fine.

More eyebrow raising.

Then came the mains: Dover sole, skinny fries, and greens for me; Kerala fish curry for the GLDHI. The sole was grossly over-cooked (go to the Plough in Bolnhurst for how it should be done), the chips were greasy, the fish in the curry was sparse and, err, grossly over-cooked. The greens were perfect.

Louee brought the bill, and a “comments” card. The GLDHI wrote “Louis was awesome”. He was. I took the card and added “But the fish was grossly over-cooked”. It was.

The GLDHI was horrified, and dashed out of the restaurant. “That was mean...I really need a pee, and I couldn’t go in there; the chefs have knives”. I shrugged. “There’s public toilets just up here back towards the Palace Pier”. “Oh, yes”, she said.

They were locked. Much hilarity ensued.

We had a couple of (cheap, very cheap) single malts in the Black Dove, where an old school DJ (he was playing vinyl ffs) played Cuban dance music and old school rock and roll. Brilliant.

Outside the pub, we met a woman with a ferret on a lead. She sat at the table next to us and was explaining to her table companions that the ferret loved to be with her pet rat, until the rat died, adding “I didn’t know what to do with the rat, so I’ve put him in the freezer until I decide where to bury him”.

“That’s going in the review”, I said to the GLDHI. She smiled and nodded, “Yes, dear”.

TL;DR: by all means go. Just don’t order any fish that they’ve, you know, had to, err, cook.

Give our regards to Louey.

Hmmmm . . . I can see it being a problem when a fish restaurant ove ooks the very ingredient that everyone goes there for, errr . . . fish.

Brilliantly written review by the way. :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Off to Fourth & Church for the first time tonight. Expecting big things!

Oh. Don't expect big things from it (apart from the wine, especially if you spend big), it's not a classical restaurant. It just does quite simple things well. Chacuterie and cheese is the food that I'd recommend the most, but their plates can be really good too.
I'm off to Trakol in Newcastle for lunch with someone on this thread that will be able to characterise it better -- and at better length -- than I.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm off to Trakol in Newcastle for lunch with someone on this thread that will be able to characterise it better -- and at better length -- than I.

Say hi to [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] from me!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just back from Olliver’s in Seaford celebrating a pal’s birthday. Hadn’t heard of it before, very unassuming place from the front and small inside, but outstanding food and friendly service. Superb value at around £35 for 4 courses from a small but varied menu. Fresh fish and desserts were particularly good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Little Fish Market, Upper Market St, BN3.

It’s only as I started thinking about the first sentence of this review that I realised the similarities between LFM and Sushi Tetsu: both small (20 covers a night vs 14), both only having one person doing all the cooking, both with a real attention to ingredient choice and precision, both with only one person doing front of house.

“We’ve just arrived”, texted [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] just as we got out of our taxi from the Pond where we’d spent a very pleasant couple of hours drinking with a habituee of this thread who has been picked up by a 1901 steward for being unable to button his shirt correctly, carries a “leather tote, not a handbag”, and has a penchant for extremely messy-looking burgers, and several friends of his, two of whom had cycled down from the AMEX. Not being a knowledgeable craft beer drinker, I followed the lead set by the tote-carrier and very nice they were too.

Mr & Mrs M were perusing the wine list as we entered the sttripped-back restaurant. “The wines last time were fine without being great”, Mr M said. Trusting his judgement in vinological matters, I was happy to defer to his choices throughout the meal, and very nice they were too. No champagne or “champagne” was selected. Just saying.

It’s a six course set tasting menu for £69pp. I say six; they were preceded by three individual amuse bouche, which were exquisite in their accuracy and attention to detail, and by a boiled egg with various additions including a mushroom foam - reminiscent of Manresa’s famed egg.

The food is uniformly excellent, with a focus on accuracy. There’s just no doubt that you got served exactly what the chef had intended to serve you when he planned the dish. Consistency of presentation across the four servings of each course was deeply impressive too.

The sea bream (just beautiful, and perfectly cooked) and plum tart (including the thinnest pastry case I’ve ever seen) were my favourites, though tomorrow I might think it was the crab ravioli or the wild bass.

The only slight fault, in our opinions, was that the brandade was a touch over-salted.

This is really very good cooking - worthy of a star.

The company was, as ever, fantastic. There was some discussion about whether Mrs M’s architecturally-themed necklace was a representation of a Frank LLoyd Wright-designed house; I’m still not sure.

We saw no vinyl-playing DJ, no ferrets, no stories about freezing dead pet rats*. Instead, good company at the pub and restaurant, good beer, decent wine, and very fine cooking.

*Though I did see a seagull when we got out of the taxi outside our B&B.

EDIT: “You didn’t say anything about the tiniest eclairs I’ve ever seen” says the GLDHI as she reads this review. She’s right, I didn’t. They came as one of the three amuse bouche. If you imagine a carrot/jalapeño tattoo on a thumb - they were about that size. Neither did I say anything about me asking the “is that shredded coconut on top of those eclairs?”, only to hear “No, it’s Parmesan” in reply. “Oh yes, so it is”. Oh well, too late now.

Glad you enjoyed it. I may have mentioned once or twice how good it is :wink:

As for Riddle and Finns I've never eaten in the seafront one. I went for lunch in The Lanes branch with some Australian friends that were over here in July and it was *fine*. We had a simple set course lunch and they neither ****ed it up, nor dazzled. Won't be rushing back, nor will I be putting a brick through their window. LFM, on the other hand, I would eat at every weekend if I had the wherewithal.

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I needed an Indian that was open on a Wednesday afternoon and ended up in the Bayleaf in St James Street. I’d have to say it was great. Without a doubt it’s the best curry I’ve had in Brighton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to Orchard Cafe in Worthing today for breakfast.

Well good, good ingredients (decent bacon & sausage) and good value ! Can’t believe I’ve not been before

Jul 7, 2003

Well good, good ingredients (decent bacon & sausage) and good value ! Can’t believe I’ve not been before

...and proper loose leaf tea served in a teapot.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh. Don't expect big things from it (apart from the wine, especially if you spend big), it's not a classical restaurant. It just does quite simple things well. Chacuterie and cheese is the food that I'd recommend the most, but their plates can be really good too.

Good summary that.

Fourth and Church

We stuck to their small plate/tapas stuff and a bottle of the house white (missus isn't fussy, I wanted to try the Butlers/Plumpton white but lost that 'discussion'. I was impressed by it. I thought the Salt Hake dish was really good and they did a brilliant octopus thing that was up there with the best octopus I've had (that award stays with Quermesse in Lisbon). Also worthy of a mention is the fried chicken dish which was pitched brilliantly in terms of heat levels. Everything arrived at the table at the correct temperature (warm, not hot), which I really rate restaurants for these days.

The chocolate dessert was possibly a tiny bit on the sweet side for me but that's me looking for an issue.

All in all it was a great experience and will go back with a group, as I reckon that's where the value might be.

8.5/10

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

We went there a couple of years back, primarily as I'd heard they did decent American pancakes which one of the kids wanted.

I can't remember too much about it now, good or bad, and we've not been back so I reckon we must have rated it as "OK".

Malt is our go-to for breakfast in Worthing now, and it's going to take a lot to tempt me to spend elsewhere, as Malt is bloody fantastic.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Malt is our go-to for breakfast in Worthing now, and it's going to take a lot to tempt me to spend elsewhere, as Malt is bloody fantastic.

Agreed. Malt is brilliant, but suffers for its popularity / size now unfortunately but really enjoy it in there

Jul 7, 2003
Dropped into Chichester for a bit of lunch and went to The Pass Street Food Café. This guy used to have a mobile trailer on the edge of Chichester and was number one on TripAdvisor for quite a while. He now has a small café in Chichester, down near the station. He used to be a chef in Brighton (Terre a Terre and other places) before wanting a change.

Menu is a mix of handmade burgers and other light bites (Asian Duck, Harissa Chicken, some veggie stuff, etc). I had the bacon burger which was very good. He has his own seasoning mix that goes into burgers and they have a great taste - much deeper than the usual burger taste. The bacon was good quality back bacon - none of that cheap watery cash and carry rubbish. Instead of the usual chips he serves sliced deep fried new potatoes, dusted with salt and rosemary and served with a garlic dip.

There aren't many rivals when it comes to burgers in Chichester but this place is very good and would hold its own against the best Brighton can offer. Definitely worth a visit if you are in that part of the County.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Seasons on Boundary Road for me tonight. An otherwise unremarkable meal with friends which was notable for some perfectly passable pizza and calamari and a good catch up. That was until dessert.

Now, we know it's bought in. There is no pastry chef at Seasons and there never has been. However, ordering the cheese board was an interesting experience that made the ordering in more than clear. On ordering it we were told that the cheese board might be later than the other desserts "because the kitchen has to do it, not us". However, they all turned up together and it was then that we all noticed the cheeseboard contained, well, it contained artfully presented BABYBEL.

I shit you not. Here it is.

cheese.jpg

This was a first for me in over 35 years of eating out. I don't know whether to applaud their ingenuity or, y'know, just cry a little bit. What did happen was that I tried to imagine the reaction of [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] , a man I've never actually met in the flesh.

The gorgonzola you can see was delicious. I could have had a whole plate of that with a glass of port and gone home happier than Shane Duffy with an all clear from the clap clinic. It was in no way a bad meal. And yet......

My friend and I turned the wax from the Babybel in to Pac Man and made a ghost out of one of the crackers, taking turns for each object to chase the other round the table. Apparently his daughter has a "weird stuff that Dad's done" file on her phone and this went in to it. He's a Spurs fan and in the away end tomorrow. If they smash us at least I'll be able to say I won at cheese-wax and cracker Pac Man.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Seasons on Boundary Road for me tonight. An otherwise unremarkable meal with friends which was notable for some perfectly passable pizza and calamari and a good catch up. That was until dessert.

Now, we know it's bought in. There is no pastry chef at Seasons and there never has been. However, ordering the cheese board was an interesting experience that made the ordering in more than clear. On ordering it we were told that the cheese board might be later than the other desserts "because the kitchen has to do it, not us". However, they all turned up together and it was then that we all noticed the cheeseboard contained, well, it contained artfully presented BABYBEL.

View attachment 115885

This was a first for me in over 35 years of eating out. I don't know whether to applaud their ingenuity or, y'know, just cry a little bit. What did happen was that I tried to imagine the reaction of [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] , a man I've never actually met in the flesh.

The gorgonzola you can see was delicious. I could have had a whole plate of that with a glass of port and gone home happier than Shane Duffy with an all clear from the clap clinic. It was in no way a bad meal. And yet......

My friend and I turned the wax from the Babybel in to Pac Man and made a ghost out of one of the crackers, taking turns for each object to chase the other round the table. Apparently his daughter has a "weird stuff that Dad's done" file on her phone and this went in to it. He's a Spurs fan and in the away end tomorrow. If they smash us at least I'll be able to say I won at cheese-wax and cracker Pac Man.

That is simply delightful.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

View attachment 115885

Amazing :D

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Nipped over to Littlehampton this morning for parkrun followed by breakfast at The Boathouse home of [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION].

Really good breakfast- proper English with good quality ingredients, very friendly service, easy to park and a good view.

Nice to say hello to the man himself - he works hard! And of course, tasted all the better washed down with three points.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Nipped over to Littlehampton this morning for parkrun followed by breakfast at The Boathouse home of [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION].

Really good breakfast- proper English with good quality ingredients, very friendly service, easy to park and a good view.

Nice to say hello to the man himself - he works hard! And of course, tasted all the better washed down with three points.

Thank you for coming over, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Nice to meet you too, albeit briefly! A successful day all round I think

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

View attachment 115885

What’s Babybel?

:wink:

Nice review.

We’re still waiting for [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION]’s review of Trakol. Slacker.

Next big meal for us is a return to Core - Clare Smyth’s new(ish) joint.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Apologies for being so slack. Been busy, but here goes:

Trakol
Gateshead

Trakol, which from memory means charcoal in Swedish/Scandi, was brought to my attention by Jay Rayner. It is a place that specialises in fire, smoke and (although by no means exclusively) meat. Rayner is somewhat obsessed with that combination, and a fair few have appeared of late that he's also reviewed including Brat and Temper in London, and no doubt plenty more. I'm glad of his obsession and for bringing these joints to our attention.
Trakol is in what I'd call Newcastle, but I gather once you venture south of the Tyne, you're in Gateshead. You don't have to go too far south because it's right on the river in a series of shipping containers that are full of drinkeries and eateries. It's milieu, in short, is a good one. We landed off the train just before midday, and met a couple of friends who were drinking outside in a pub adjacent to Trakol. 'We' thought we'd be one light, as Tolstoy of this parish had a couple of chapters of War and Peace to draft before posting on this thread, and had to decline the opportunity of the smoke, meat and fire combo. We were fortunate enough that another Brighton fan was in the vicinity and keen to join us, so there were three of us, and just as well.
We started with some 'snacks', which I've cut-and-pasted from the menu:
Crispy Pigs Tails, Mission Spice 3.5Kimchi Pickled Eggs 3.5Salt Beef Fritter, French’s Mustard & Pickles 3.5Grilled Tenderstem Broccoli, Green Nam Jim 3.5
Yum.
Then, I had sweetcorn (roasted in its cob on the grill) with duck heart, girolles and a few other good things, which was a really interesting combination of flavours, colours and textures, and somewhat seasonal too. The main event, however, is fish or meat on the grill, we went for:
1kg Prime Rib Of Beef, Fries, Roasted Bone Marrow, Wild Mushrooms, Garlic & Parsley 70
They claimed it fed two. I beg to differ as it left the three of us so full that we didn't eat for the remainder of a long day and night. The meat was something else, infused with some wood smoke and well rested for a good 15/20 minutes before serving. [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] might be pleased to know that they recommend that you smeared the bone marrow like butter over the meat. So we did. And glad we did too, as it just cranked up the flavour. The wild mushrooms were something else too, fresh ceps and, fortunately, my dining partners didn't get too involved in them, so I ate the majority of them. We had a beer or two, and a decent bottle of Portuguese, but had no room to find out whether BabyBel features on their cheese plate.
Off then to a couple of pubs pre-match, and we were sufficiently sustained to ascend the heights of the Gallowgate End to witness an excellent edition of Potterball, followed by a night on the Toon.
Newcastle remains my favourite away day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Apologies for being so slack. Been busy, but here goes:

Trakol
Gateshead

Trakol, which from memory means charcoal in Swedish/Scandi, was brought to my attention by Jay Rayner. It is a place that specialises in fire, smoke and (although by no means exclusively) meat. Rayner is somewhat obsessed with that combination, and a fair few have appeared of late that he's also reviewed including Brat and Temper in London, and no doubt plenty more. I'm glad of his obsession and for bringing these joints to our attention.
Trakol is in what I'd call Newcastle, but I gather once you venture south of the Tyne, you're in Gateshead. You don't have to go too far south because it's right on the river in a series of shipping containers that are full of drinkeries and eateries. It's milieu, in short, is a good one. We landed off the train just before midday, and met a couple of friends who were drinking outside in a pub adjacent to Trakol. 'We' thought we'd be one light, as Tolstoy of this parish had a couple of chapters of War and Peace to draft before posting on this thread, and had to decline the opportunity of the smoke, meat and fire combo. We were fortunate enough that another Brighton fan was in the vicinity and keen to join us, so there were three of us, and just as well.
We started with some 'snacks', which I've cut-and-pasted from the menu:
Crispy Pigs Tails, Mission Spice 3.5Kimchi Pickled Eggs 3.5Salt Beef Fritter, French’s Mustard & Pickles 3.5Grilled Tenderstem Broccoli, Green Nam Jim 3.5
Yum.
Then, I had sweetcorn (roasted in its cob on the grill) with duck heart, girolles and a few other good things, which was a really interesting combination of flavours, colours and textures, and somewhat seasonal too. The main event, however, is fish or meat on the grill, we went for:
1kg Prime Rib Of Beef, Fries, Roasted Bone Marrow, Wild Mushrooms, Garlic & Parsley 70
They claimed it fed two. I beg to differ as it left the three of us so full that we didn't eat for the remainder of a long day and night. The meat was something else, infused with some wood smoke and well rested for a good 15/20 minutes before serving. [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] might be pleased to know that they recommend that you smeared the bone marrow like butter over the meat. So we did. And glad we did too, as it just cranked up the flavour. The wild mushrooms were something else too, fresh ceps and, fortunately, my dining partners didn't get too involved in them, so I ate the majority of them. We had a beer or two, and a decent bottle of Portuguese, but had no room to find out whether BabyBel features on their cheese plate.
Off then to a couple of pubs pre-match, and we were sufficiently sustained to ascend the heights of the Gallowgate End to witness an excellent edition of Potterball, followed by a night on the Toon.
Newcastle remains my favourite away day.

Excellent :thumsup:

Sounds like my kind of place!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here