Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2019 Thread

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Riddle and Finns

Providing you like fish this place ticks every box for me as an outstanding restaurant.

Starters Braised Octopus with Confit Egg Yolk, Miso Yoghurt, Pine Nuts and the better half had Squid Sautéed with Chorizo and Chilli. Mine was outstanding, very clean dish and well seasoned and my partner had no complaints about hers.

Mains Pan Roast Fillet of Cod, Jersey Royals, Seaweed, Wilted Spinach & Tobiko Sauce and Smoked Haddock Fillet, Colcannon, Poached Egg, Prosciutto & Champagne Sauce.

Once again sublime dishes, so well cooked and season - stunning.

10 out of 10 - book a table

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I cannot imagine the Ham course being anything other than this:

ARLbk8j.jpg

In very good shape seeing as it's over twenty years out of date.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Missus surprised me to a trip to CinCin in Brighton. Review to follow...

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Has anybody been to and have a view on AMI Bistro in Worthing.

Yes.
Was expecting good things, had average things.
Chateaubriand Wellington for main, duxelles overpowered the pastry and meat, no real flavour to the beef.
Starters and desserts were ok, neither wowed.

C+ Bang Average.

Jul 7, 2003

Been a couple of times. Food has always been very good with decent sized portions. Service is good. Restaurant can get a bit loud if there is a group in but they usually calm them down quickly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Yes, just the once. People say good things about it, but I honestly can't remember a single thing about my meal, which would suggest it was neither great nor terrible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to a restaurant on Friday evening which only had natural wines. The food was great but the wine not so. The only good thing about their wine list is that I have decided I’ll refuse to drink this stuff from now on. Ive tried it 5 times and it’s not for me.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Yes I'll second that.

Has anyone been to the Flint Rooms yet?

Tried Flint Rooms for lunch during its opening week. Really liked the layout including bar and terrace upstairs. Lots of promise I’d say although it felt very ‘opening week’ when we were there and the food varied a lot. As it’s part of the Gingerman group I’m sure they’ll put that right and it will be great.

Also tried Zama, the new ‘Punjabi kitchen’ on Church Road - similarly it did not quite feel it had found its feet yet. Food good but service a bit messy. I think there’s a big gap in Hove for an upper end Indian like Indian Summer/Chilli Pickle.

Highlight for me recently is discovering Oshio the Korean place on Trafalgar Street. Really tasty - properly spicy food - good sushi and great service too.too

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
took mrs hantsseagull to Etch the other week - full 9 course tasting menu plus wine pairing. one could argue whether any meal is worth that sort of money but my god the food was divine. service faultless. wines were interesting and one or two were quite challenging but all complimented the food.

would definitely go again but maybe just pick my own bottle of wine, so i only have to rob a small bank instead of a big one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
took mrs hantsseagull to Etch the other week - full 9 course tasting menu plus wine pairing. one could argue whether any meal is worth that sort of money but my god the food was divine. service faultless. wines were interesting and one or two were quite challenging but all complimented the food.

would definitely go again but maybe just pick my own bottle of wine, so i only have to rob a small bank instead of a big one.

Challenging? You mean “natural”? :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
CinCin in Brighton . Missus surprised me with a visit when we had been over in Brighton.

What a great little place, a bunch of counter tables in a converted garage in the North Laines of Brighton. The chef is basically on 2 electric hobs, a Kitchen Porter + 2 staff behind the bar.

The food is Italian but different class to the usual, fairly small menu and aimed as sharing plates. Highlights were Beef Dripping Ragu on Bruschetta which was incredibly rich.

I'll be honest my memory is a bit hazy as I enjoyed a few 8% NEIPAs at Bison afterwards....

Bill was £100 for 2 people - £30 was drinks. Total 7 plates (3 start, 2 main, 2 desserts)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My annual question:-

Might be heading into Brighton for the end of the Festival, with the kids.

We normally grab lunch in Giraffe which is nice enough just wondering if there's anywhere else we could try, in a similar style.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is it a smaller version of Mange Tout on Trafalgar Street? Because if it isn't, it should be.

I've never been to Mange Tout but have heard good things about it. I'd suggest it's very similar to The Arrogant Frog in Church Road but I think it might have now closed. Petit Pois is in my top 5 of places in B&H and that's up against some stiff competition such as Little Fish Market, Fourth & Church and the Coalshed.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Mange Tout is really quite something, especially the desserts. Great place to stop off for a coffee and a sweet treat of an afternoon I would say.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here