Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of football really is a joke

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Couldn't agree more, Bournemouth charge similar but their price doesn't even include a matchday ticket!:shootself

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It’s OK. Sunderland fans season after season regularly buy replica kits and look like clowns. No one is losing their shit about that.

I thought all clubs have that?

Think you are also missing the point as with a shirt there is a least a cost to making it, as a mascot what is the cost (other than maybe a full kit - say £80 for kids?)

That matchday ticket one is really bad of Bournemouth

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fans now having to pay to be a mascot?

I am sure its been talked about on here before but £350 to be one at Brighton, with all this money sloshing around why charge?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46526716

Firstly that price is for the captain's mascot. The other packages at Brighton are cheaper.

Secondly my son was a mascot against Leicester this season. I paid for it and I'm not ashamed. To say he had the day of his life is an understatement, He's barely come down off the ceiling. He got to walk out with Davy Propper, do a warm up routine, have photos absolutely everywhere (I was behind the away dug out till 30 seconds before kick off) and we had excellent seats for the game, Murray scored at our end and ran to the mascots. The girls who looked after the mascots and parents were excellent. In fact I cannot praise the club enough, they were amazing.

This cost us £225. Now it would be vulgar to post that if I was bragging but I post it for comparison. Consider he got full kit (I guess over £50 retail), we both got seats in the West Lower (let's say around £50) and it's really £125. A birthday party at a bowling alley or Lazer Zone costs MUCH more than that.

All together it's outstanding value.

Stumpy Tim

Firstly that price is for the captain's mascot. The other packages at Brighton are cheaper.

Secondly my son was a mascot against Leicester this season. I paid for it and I'm not ashamed. To say he had the day of his life is an understatement, He's barely come down off the ceiling. He got to walk out with Davy Propper, do a warm up routine, have photos absolutely everywhere (I was behind the away dug out till 30 seconds before kick off) and we had excellent seats for the game, Murray scored at our end and ran to the mascots. The girls who looked after the mascots and parents were excellent. In fact I cannot praise the club enough, they were amazing.

This cost us £225. Now it would be vulgar to post that if I was bragging but I post it for comparison. Consider he got full kit (I guess over £50 retail), we both got seats in the West Lower (let's say around £50) and it's really £125. A birthday party at a bowling alley or Lazer Zone costs MUCH more than that.

Done the same for my lad against Huddersfield. You both get food too I believe.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Well put. Seems pretty reasonable for such a fantastic experience.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

But why should they charge the £125? I think that's my point. Clubs should be encouraging kids (and in reality parents) to attend which this to me is the issue.

Also dont get me wrong for a kid I bet it is a marvellous experience.

Out of interest if you were/are a STH would they reduce the price as you had a ticket already?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't we still have a draw from Junior Seagulls occasionally, for a free mascot?
There is often more than one mascot coming out with the team.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
all this money sloshing around why charge?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46526716

That’s the bit that gets me too. I was a player kit sponsor each season from around 2003 onwards, at the time it brought the club a little extra money, as time went by the rate went up, the last season in the Championship it was £1600, name in the program (eventually) players awards dinner tickets for four, hospitality for four for a match, signed shirt, that was the last one I did. Now, IIRC it starts at £4500+VAT, that’s for a cat C match kit sponsorship, for a cat A match it’s something like £9500+VAT. Considering in this day and age our average wage bill is £30K a week, the kit sponsorship money barely covers anything, seems a shame that they’ve made the prices so high, beyond the means of most individuals, and they didn’t even manage to get a corporate kit sponsor for the Arsenal game.

Last edited:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Agree with OP.

I don’t think PL club’s should charge to be the Captain’s Mascot, with £110m of broadcasting income. Not least because the places will be grabbed by families with a financial advantage.

Exactly that - what would £6,650 (£350 x 19) really do given the broadcasting income when what it does is makes a divide between those that can financially afford it to those that cannot, and for very little positive result

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
West Ham get the tax payer to subsidise their stadium and charge £700 for a mascot?

Good Grief.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I don't understand the issue here to be honest. You get what you pay for surely? You pay for a seat you get a seat, you pay for a VIP experience you get a VIP experience. People who are against this, do you think you should be able to buy front row seats at gigs or VIP meet and greets for the same amount as the cheapest ticket? Proper baffling thread this one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't understand the issue here to be honest. You get what you pay for surely? You pay for a seat you get a seat, you pay for a VIP experience you get a VIP experience. People who are against this, do you think you should be able to buy front row seats at gigs or VIP meet and greets for the same amount as the cheapest ticket? Proper baffling thread this one.

Because it involves families and kids. For the sake of the relatively minute increase in income, it gives an advantage to the better off in having their little-un walk out with the club captain.

Everything in a football club shouldn’t be about who can afford to pay a lot more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here