Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2019

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If the new Dave album isn’t in my Top 5 Hip-Hop albums of the year come December 31st then we’re probably had the best year in a loooong time. Phenomenal record.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, saw that just after I posted. Not surprised you're a fan too. Trumpets!

I am absolutely hooked on this album at the moment. It really is something else. And as a late comer to this band I’ve got 4 more albums of theirs to listen to; all good.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I am absolutely hooked on this album at the moment. It really is something else. And as a late comer to this band I’ve got 4 more albums of theirs to listen to; all good.

Indeed. I think their use of brass on this album is a masterstroke that really lifts it out of, and away from, some of the more 'post-rock by numbers' stuff that is around.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
D0gv5FMXQAUJe0I.jpg

images.jpg

2 new beauties out today

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
My new EP, The Yeoman's Tears, is out now as download (CD will be included in the new album bundle in May)

https://smikkelbaard.bandcamp.com/album/the-yeomans-tears

It's a four-track musical imaging of a Sussex soldier's return from The Great War and the tragedies, and redemption, that follow.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If the new Dave album isn’t in my Top 5 Hip-Hop albums of the year come December 31st then we’re probably had the best year in a loooong time. Phenomenal record.

I meant to respond to this before, and have just seen a post from you on the VAR thread that reminded me.

Thanks. This album is quite superb. I cannot stop playing it - it gets under your skin. The man is an incredible story teller, and at times the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Wonderful, wonderful album.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I meant to respond to this before, and have just seen a post from you on the VAR thread that reminded me.

Thanks. This album is quite superb. I cannot stop playing it - it gets under your skin. The man is an incredible story teller, and at times the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Wonderful, wonderful album.

It really is an incredible album. It’s even crazier when you realise Dave is the one playing the piano in a lot of the tracks too, an unbelievable talent, and he’s only 20 years old. I’m so, so glad that it’s getting recognition it deserves. Came straight in at #1 in the album charts, with 3 of the singles making it in to the top 15 too.

It’s still growing on me with every listen. Unless CASisDead releases his debut album this year then Psychodrama is almost guaranteed to be my AOTY. Best British Hip-Hop album since Boy In Da Corner; and it might even beat that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It really is an incredible album. It’s even crazier when you realise Dave is the one playing the piano in a lot of the tracks too, an unbelievable talent, and he’s only 20 years old. I’m so, so glad that it’s getting recognition it deserves. Came straight in at #1 in the album charts, with 3 of the singles making it in to the top 15 too.

It’s still growing on me with every listen. Unless CASisDead releases his debut album this year then Psychodrama is almost guaranteed to be my AOTY. Best British Hip-Hop album since Boy In Da Corner; and it might even beat that.

Much as I loved Dizee (I saw him supporting Babyshambles, of all groups) I think this is, just, better. The piano is him? I'm even more impressed, as I love the way he uses it, building up the atmosphere.

If you count Loyle Carner as hip hop then his album is the one that this has just surpassed, in my opinion.

'Lesley' is an absolute masterpiece.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Much as I loved Dizee (I saw him supporting Babyshambles, of all groups) I think this is, just, better. The piano is him? I'm even more impressed, as I love the way he uses it, building up the atmosphere.

If you count Loyle Carner as hip hop then his album is the one that this has just surpassed, in my opinion.

'Lesley' is an absolute masterpiece.

I don’t think all of the piano is him but from what I can tellthe majority of it is him. He does mention the fact he plays piano in there at one point “n****’s saw keys and went to trial for shotting, I saw keys, learnt to play and made thousands from it.” Yeah, I’d class Loyle Carner as Hip-Hop, and agree that it’s a very good album. Although as you say this surpasses it.

Lesley is something else. I think it’s one of those songs where if it was done badly then it would be a real slog to sit through for 11 minutes but Dave absolutely nails it. Then there’s that little added kick to it when near the end of the last song he says about he based Lesly off of his relatives. It really is a flawless album and I’m glad I get to gush about it on the internet.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Theon Cross FYAH is a welcome new addition to my collection. It's tubatastic.
I know it's from last year, but I recently got my mitts on Jon Spencer Sings the Hits and I agree with Marc Riley that it was one of 2018's AotY.

Loving this album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That Sharon van Etten album will be a strong contender for AotY for me. Also enjoying the new one from Comet is Coming, which is a distinct improvement on their previous (first?) offering.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest mix;
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-44/

Tracklisting:
1. Carla Dal Forno - So Much Better
2. CHKBNS - Keep Talking
3. Vital Idles - Careful Extracts
4. Errant Monks - Sdvig!
5. Snapped Ankles - Tailpipe
6. Scraaatch - Don't Talk To Me
7. Mrs Dink - Check The Statistics
8. Swan Meat - Throat
9. Kedr Livanksy - Kiska
10. Holly Herndon - Eternal
11. Azar Swan - Empire Grave
12. Patience - The Girls Are Chewing Gum
13. Vendredi Sur Mer - Chewing Gum
14. Bleak Engineers - Multidimensional Way
15. Current Affairs - Draw The Line

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interested and looking forward in hearing this. Conducted by Penderecki too.

Listening to this as I prised this thread open. Care to share thoughts on Penderecki because I think this is my first encounter with him.

On a slightly different note, following on from Sharon Van Etten, I've just stumbled across another stunner that I suspect will be a strong contender for AotY for me: Crushing by Julia Jacklin.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Listening to this as I prised this thread open. Care to share thoughts on Penderecki because I think this is my first encounter with him.

On a slightly different note, following on from Sharon Van Etten, I've just stumbled across another stunner that I suspect will be a strong contender for AotY for me: Crushing by Julia Jacklin.

Julia Jacklin's first album was great, this second is terrific.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here