Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2019

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Have been impressed with all of three recent purchases:
Follakzoid I (no idea why they've decided to call this one 'I', when their previous two were 'II' and then 'III'), which continues their stripped down development. They're playing at Patterns on 1st Sep. I'd go if we weren't at End of the Road.
Thom Yorke Anima -- doesn't disappoint
Nerija Blume -- another great stride for the London jazz scene. There's something quite rocky about this too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have been impressed with all of three recent purchases:
Follakzoid I (no idea why they've decided to call this one 'I', when their previous two were 'II' and then 'III'), which continues their stripped down development. They're playing at Patterns on 1st Sep. I'd go if we weren't at End of the Road.
Thom Yorke Anima -- doesn't disappoint
Nerija Blume -- another great stride for the London jazz scene. There's something quite rocky about this too.

I’m loving Föllakzoid as well.

Yeah, album is named I, and consists of 4 tracks titled I,II,III and IIII. Keeps things simple I guess. luckily have this album, plus the new Blanck Mass long player, on limited edition vinyl and artwork in the post; all part of my Sacred Bones subscription which has come up trumps this quarter.

The Frau has bought the new Thom Yorke on EasyJet coloured vinyl as well. I’ve yet to listen to it but have watched the short film which accompanies some of the tracks.

It’s been a good year for music so far.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest mix can be found here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-49/

Tracklist
1. Dry Cleaning - Goodnight
2. Cookie Brooklyn & the Crums - Is There Logic In Pop?
3. Automatic - Mind Your Own Business
4. Twins - Wicked Game
5. The CEO of Everything - Force Majeure
6. Luen - Owl Tool
7. Isserley - Crushing
8. Knife Wife - Silly Pony
9. Bunny Hoova - Eat Out
10. R. Elizabeth - Spiritual To Symphony
11. DJ Ghettoscraper - Bootleg Juke Edit
12. Debit - Baby If I Could Change Your World
13. Tiny Giant - Small Steps
14. Ziur - I Vanish
15. Zamilska - Gape
16. Miynt - Vacation With Bond In South Of France (Part 2)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]

Have you listened to Kojey Radical's new album, Cashmere Tears, yet? Released last Friday, and I have had it on rotation...at least as good as In God's Body.

I am also enjoying Mahalia's new LP, Love and Compromise.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest mix can be found here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-50/

Tracklist:
1. Sharky - Romanian Moths
2. Hyperdawn - Laugh and Laugh
3. Attentions Whores ft. Rosemary Loves A Blackberry - Voice message
4. Pharmakon - Homeostassis
5. Twin Temple - I'm A Witch
6. Secret Shame - Dark
7. Knitted Abyss - Fear of Ice
8. The KVB - Submersion
9. Wobbly - Medieval Refrigerator
10. Pion - Coca-Loca
11. Poupard - Petite Princess
12. Debby Friday - Fatal
13. HXXS - Learner
14. Dog in the Snow - Dual Terror
15. The Paranoyds - Carnage Bargain
16. Dry Cleaning - Sit Down Meal
17. Bunny Hoova - Seashell

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
@<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=29779" target="_blank">Whitechapel</a></u>

Have you listened to Kojey Radical's new album, Cashmere Tears, yet? Released last Friday, and I have had it on rotation...at least as good as In God's Body.

I am also enjoying Mahalia's new LP, Love and Compromise.

Yep, another really solid body of work from Kojey. The U.K. really is churning out excellent hip-hop albums this year. Dave, Slowthai, Lil Simz, Kano, Kojey Radical, Loyle Carner, Headie One x RV, AJ Tracey etc

The latest addition to that list is the worlds faster rapper, Brightons very own Ocean Wisdom who has just dropped Big Talk Vol1. So Brighton he’s even managed to get a Fatboy Slim collab to go along with the ridiculous list of top tier hip-hop features (Akala, Dizzee Rascal, LD, P Money, Ghetts & Freddie Gibbs)

Not quite as lyrical as some of the albums we’ve discussed on here; although there are some gems in there once you get used to his cadence and flow, but if you’re looking to delve in to something a little grimier and raw then it’s certainly one to check out.

Still potentially a Stormzy album to drop this year along with the Krept & Konan Album. Now all I need is my favourite drill artists to stop murdering each other and it’ll be the best year for U.K. rap ever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep, another really solid body of work from Kojey. The U.K. really is churning out excellent hip-hop albums this year. Dave, Slowthai, Lil Simz, Kano, Kojey Radical, Loyle Carner, Headie One x RV, AJ Tracey etc

The latest addition to that list is the worlds faster rapper, Brightons very own Ocean Wisdom who has just dropped Big Talk Vol1. So Brighton he’s even managed to get a Fatboy Slim collab to go along with the ridiculous list of top tier hip-hop features (Akala, Dizzee Rascal, LD, P Money, Ghetts & Freddie Gibbs)

Not quite as lyrical as some of the albums we’ve discussed on here; although there are some gems in there once you get used to his cadence and flow, but if you’re looking to delve in to something a little grimier and raw then it’s certainly one to check out.

Still potentially a Stormzy album to drop this year along with the Krept & Konan Album. Now all I need is my favourite drill artists to stop murdering each other and it’ll be the best year for U.K. rap ever.

I can’t say I am a fan of hip-hop* but as a fan of music it’s great to see the genre doing so well and doing so well on its own terms.

And that last line made me chuckle.

* That said, I did see Stormzy’s first ever headline show in Spain this summer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This thread has gone very quiet this year. It's a shame that a couple of posters that were integral to it for a good few years can no longer be with us. Despite that, I give you

2020 by Richard Dawson. I thought Peasant was a masterpiece of an album and it really felt like an album, one that told stories from different perspectives yet cohered as a whole. Not only that, but it was done so through music like I'd never heard before, the best description that I've come across is of 'dissonant folk', which are two words you don't really expect to see together. Peasant was set in the 7th century, which was an important time for the north-east, which is where this Newcastle-season ticket holder is from. 2020 is set in 2020 (give or take a month or three) and feels so contemporary. The music is much more rocked up, but the lyrics are extraordinary, again describing what we're currently enduring from different perspectives, but with terrific social commentary and more than a rival for Sleaford Mods.
For me, this year has had some stand-out albums: Sharon Van Etten, Julia Jacklin, UFOF by Big Thief, and this one is right up there.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Yummy Fur have a compilation out consisting of singles and album tracks. A great introduction to the band who have reformed in part and are touring again. Released on Mogwai’s Rock Action label. Short, sharp and cynical at their best.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How are folk getting on with the Nick Cave Ghosteen album? It’s based on the droney unstructured atmospheric writing style he visits occasionally on the last two long players (which Warren Ellis seems to be behind) and I’m really liking it. The rich production really compliments the song writing as well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
How are folk getting on with the Nick Cave Ghosteen album? It’s based on the droney unstructured atmospheric writing style he visits occasionally on the last two long players (which Warren Ellis seems to be behind) and I’m really liking it. The rich production really compliments the song writing as well.

I think it’s great. Was a bit dubious regarding the structure of the album but the two longer tracks, Ghosteen and Hollywood compliment side 1 perfectly. What the album has done however is prevent me from buying tickets to the O2 dates. I really can’t imagine how such an intimate piece of work would come across in such a vast arena. Now if it was being played at The King Alfred Hove then that would be very different matter. And we all know that’s not going to happen!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it’s great. Was a bit dubious regarding the structure of the album but the two longer tracks, Ghosteen and Hollywood compliment side 1 perfectly. What the album has done however is prevent me from buying tickets to the O2 dates. I really can’t imagine how such an intimate piece of work would come across in such a vast arena. Now if it was being played at The King Alfred Hove then that would be very different matter. And we all know that’s not going to happen!

I love Galleon Ships and Ghosteen.....some of the best he’s ever written....and on his 17th studio album. Most artists have run dry long before this milestone.

Totally agree with all your thoughts on the record, but I have bought tickets for the Berlin show. We did discuss if it would work, and I was dubious about seeing Skeleton Tree in an aircraft hanger but he pulled this off...just. The crowd were impeccable during the more tender moments and the “feeling” of such a large but silent crowd added to the show. I hope it works again.

Did you go to either of the Alfred Shows? I went to the Grinderman rehearsals....was surreal. He performed one song with his hand on the wife’s head singing to her preacher man style. I’ve got some stunning photos somewhere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Extraordinary is the term I’d use for this album.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Britpops best (imo) back with a blast....

Their last album was released during cool Britannia, this one during crap Britannia but still as blinding as ever .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here