Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Raymond Briggs: Snowmen, Bogeymen & Milkmen (RIP 10/08/2022)

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I watched that too. Behind his grumpy reputation, a kind bloke, who’s been through an awful lot (his first wife’s long mental illness and then cancer), whilst having an amazing talent for writing and drawing.

His stories are magical for kids (and some grown ups).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We watched it last night. A fascinating insight into his life and work. We bought the dvd of Ethel & Ernest, his parents and his childhood. It's simple but a beautiful account of how he grew up, and the attitudes of people in the 40s and 50s. So much of it rang true.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The Iron Maiden song ' When the Wild Wind Blows' is loosely based on Brigg's graphic novel.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I just found out about this though Twitter. Looking forward to watching it. Fungus the bogeyman was one of my favourite (most fascinating) books as a child. Then there's everything else.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We watched it last night. A fascinating insight into his life and work. We bought the dvd of Ethel & Ernest, his parents and his childhood. It's simple but a beautiful account of how he grew up, and the attitudes of people in the 40s and 50s. So much of it rang true.

Ethel and Ernest was on BBC2 last night and was thoroughly enjoyable. I think it is a great piece of social history especially in its portrayal of the hardships of the war. It was also a good reminder of the days when a milkman could afford to buy a house in London ! The political point scoring between Ethel and Ernest was also most amusing.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I really liked "When the wind blows" by Briggs

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not just a talented author but a great illustrator as well.

4D18F9CA-6E0B-41AF-B52E-F468F1BCC170.jpeg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Very sad, what a talent. Fungus the Bogeyman was one of my favourite books as a kid, and recently my kids love Father Christmas.
Brilliant story teller, and beautiful illustrator too.
RIP

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
RIP Mr Briggs.

I never knew if the NSC poster [MENTION=12719]raymondbriggs[/MENTION] was actually the man himself or a tribute to the author.

Last edited:

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
I really liked his story the Man.

Aled Jones did a tribute to him on Classic Fm as he is standing in for Alex Armstrong and played walking in the air.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
RIP

My wife's step mother used to be his cleaner at his home near Plumpton - he handmade an birthday card for her 60th with many of the characters painted on the front

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Really sad news. I am a massive fan of his work. I have several signed drawings and collect the coalport snowmen figurines. I am gutted i never met him.

RIP. You will be making children and adults alike smile and cry every christmas for many years to come. What a legacy.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
My favourite story from his pen was "Ethel & Ernest" which although about his parents had echoes of my own upbringing with my parents. People of my generation with whom I have discussed this work have also recognised their mothers and fathers in this tale.

RIP brilliant storyteller.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here