Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Raymond Briggs: Snowmen, Bogeymen & Milkmen (RIP 10/08/2022)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My favourite story from his pen was "Ethel & Ernest" which although about his parents had echoes of my own upbringing with my parents. People of my generation with whom I have discussed this work have also recognised their mothers and fathers in this tale.

RIP brilliant storyteller.

I have a copy of the dvd and love watching it. I recognise relatives in this story too.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Part of Christmas growing up in the eighties and nineties was watching The Snowman every year and still be quite moved by the ending, even though we'd seen it so many times and knew the way it unfolded. Reminds me of my mum's parents. My grandfather was an artist who loved painting. His drawings were brilliant.

RIP Raymond Briggs.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Sad news. I loved the Father Christmas books.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wish I did, probably went to a jumble or car boot sale many years ago.

I think the primary reason is my mum kept them, then they got given to me when she moved and after I'd got my own place, I kept them thinking 'one day' and they have duly been read to my son. I also have a wad of Beatrix Potter and Babar, a few of which were my fathers before me. All of them probably worth upwards of 17 1/2 pence!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I think the primary reason is my mum kept them, then they got given to me when she moved and after I'd got my own place, I kept them thinking 'one day' and they have duly been read to my son. I also have a wad of Beatrix Potter and Babar, a few of which were my fathers before me. All of them probably worth upwards of 17 1/2 pence!

my kids love the snowman so much they watch it in peak summer. I have tried to stop them watching it for the full impact at xmas.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Genius! He'll be missed.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
my kids love the snowman so much they watch it in peak summer. I have tried to stop them watching it for the full impact at xmas.

My 3.5 year old absolutely LOVES The Snowman. For about a year all she wanted me to draw with her was a snowman. I’ve never thought to explore his other work with her but based on this thread I will do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here