Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
It’s a no to Dry January for me. Just drink alcohol on Albion matchdays and odd glass of wine with wife. Summers are mainly dry and the Premier League is drier with less games and international breaks. Makes it more of a treat.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thank you, I’m sure it will [emoji56]

Day 4 and still dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a dry January too, with two exceptions:
1, the first two and a half hours of the year
2, am going up to Old Trafford, and think I might yield for that.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ginuary kicked off in fine style tonight with

1. Roku Japanese Gin

2. Brecon Gin from the Brecon Beacons

IMG_ifcoov.jpg

IMG_20190104_210225.jpg

Lovely

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
It’s a no to Dry January for me. Just drink alcohol on Albion matchdays and odd glass of wine with wife. Summers are mainly dry and the Premier League is drier with less games and international breaks. Makes it more of a treat.

Absolutely where I'd love to be with alcohol. Take it or leave it, walk away, then come back, then walk away again...

I'm day 4 and walking it. I know I can just stop on a dime and quit. However, when I'm on it, I drink every night... I don't want to drink every night, but I don't want to be a tambourine rattling tee-totaler. I want to be like the above.. :annoyed:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Absolutely where I'd love to be with alcohol. Take it or leave it, walk away, then come back, then walk away again...

I'm day 4 and walking it. I know I can just stop on a dime and quit. However, when I'm on it, I drink every night... I don't want to drink every night, but I don't want to be a tambourine rattling tee-totaler. I want to be like the above.. :annoyed:

Maybe there is an option to just not drink alcohol and try to keep quiet about it- not easy in our society but may be worth a go if it makes life happier / better overall.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Maybe there is an option to just not drink alcohol and try to keep quiet about it- not easy in our society but may be worth a go if it makes life happier / better overall.

Missing my point a little there. My ideal scenario would be to drink alcohol, but just dip in and out now and again. My whole life has been I'm either on it, or off it. When I start, I can't stop (not literally - I just mean drinking every night), and when I stop - I stop completely and have nothing at all, not even one.

That middle ground has always eluded me, so I'm looking deeper into the psychological as well as physiological aspects of alcohol. However, when I do that - it just makes me want to never drink again. Alcohol is quite literally poison, and your poor body is pulling out more stops than a church organist in order to counteract that poison and regulate itself.

I'm no evangelist, believe me. I love booze. :glare:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I get where you’re coming from. I’m just starting to look in to all this and the more you read, stopping altogether seems like the most sensible option.

But it would be nice to think ‘a little once in a while’ is doable without negative effects.

If you’re an ‘all or nothing’ kind of person don’t beat yourself up- that’s a really positive trait in many aspects of life. I guess it makes the whole drinking thing tricky- I’m sure you’re not alone in the dilemma you face.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Well that’s the first weekend over and done with !! Even went to the pub yesterday for lunch and had a lemonade!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
There’s Veganuary now. I wish it would all **** off and be marvellous May.

What? How is that even a 'thing'? Have I been whooshed?

Taking it easy on the booze for a month is a health thing. Vegan is a choice thing.
You don't need to get a taxi home if you've had 2 burgers.

If someone wants to be Vegan then go for it but stop trying to ram your beliefs down everyone else's necks you boring self pretentious twats.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ginuary kicked off in fine style tonight with

1. Roku Japanese Gin

2. Brecon Gin from the Brecon Beacons

View attachment 103529

View attachment 103530

Lovely

i took a bottle of Roku to a bbq before christmas......despite repeated attempts to share it i ended up wiping it out myself and very nice it was too....!! it was the 15 beers that done the damage.......that is my personal reason for dry january , just gotta give my body a break......been through the mill last year already....6th day today ...!!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Big test of my normally weak will power this weekend for Dryathon. Football Saturday (Bovril), Dinner Saturday evening (Alcohol Free Cobra, not good) and a pub visit Sunday (Soda & Lime), so Day 7, previous record 3rd Jan, all good.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't even contemplate a drink over the weekend, which is somewhat unusual, but I've been continuing to work through the Christmas Cheese Mountain most evenings.

Now the cheese is all gone, the test will really begin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here