Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Dry January successfully completed for me - though I did have three alcohol-free beers during that time.
Haven't decided whether to continue it or revert to a fairly moderate units per week intake. Friend at work passed over a small taster bottle of sloe gin I'm interested to test ...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I started a week late so still have a week to go..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I started dry Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday last year and have kept that up apart from a week on holiday and Christmas/ New year..
Will continue with this and may add Thursday at some point.
Do enjoy Red wine too much to give it up completely.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes, did it OK.
Once past my danger time of 5.30pm to 8pm, the urge for a drink faded. Feel a lot better for it.
Will be carrying on and trying to last until Easter, save for a couple of glasses of champagne on our Wedding Anniversary in a couple of weeks time.
This is mainly to aid weight loss. Want to lose two stone, so the dieting continues.
Have one for me ,all you lot who are celebrating tonight. It will be a cup of P.G.Tips for me!:thumbsup:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Nailed it. Thanks to all on here who have been so supportive and helpful. The alcohol experiment is brilliant. It's completely changed my view in a non preachy way. For now, I won't be going back to booze. I haven't reached for Feb 1 in any way. My whole attitude to alcohol has changed.

Well done to this who did it. Good on you if you at least tried. And for those thinking about it, give it a go.

NSC at its absolute best. Thank you folks.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Nailed it. Thanks to all on here who have been so supportive and helpful. The alcohol experiment is brilliant. It's completely changed my view in a non preachy way. For now, I won't be going back to booze. I haven't reached for Feb 1 in any way. My whole attitude to alcohol has changed.

Well done to this who did it. Good on you if you at least tried. And for those thinking about it, give it a go.

NSC at its absolute best. Thank you folks.

Congratulations to you and everyone else, top effort team!

Stumpy Tim

Congratulations to you and everyone else, top effort team!

The thing I've found, and it seems many others have too, is that it isn't actually an effort once you break the conditioning we're all subjected to. You don't need alcohol on a Friday night, Saturday night, football, good days, bad days, celebrations, to relax, to party etc etc. We've been conditioned into thinking this, but it's not true. Once you understand that, drinking becomes a little pointless.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No chance! I'm not good looking enough to star in any videos, unless they're for the blind.

I wouldn't ever regard myself as 'enthusiastic' either. I'm a very sceptical person when it comes to all these self help happy-clappy subjects and am usually the first to press delete, especially when I hear an American voice (sorry Americans) - but this is such a low pressure, informative, interesting 'thing' which comes in as large or small a dose as you want. You can jump in feet first and join the forums, fill in the daily diaries and so on - or just read the daily email and watch the video, which is what I did. On the way to work every morning, with a coffee in the cup holder, I'd pop in the Apple AirBuds - say 'Siri.. Speak Screen' and listen to him read me the email - and then press play on the video and listen to it. It didn't even take any time out of my day!

My intention is to put no pressure on myself and loosely aim for a dry February. I've got no desire to drink at the moment, but I may have a beer with my curry after the Burnley game on the 9th. I'll see at the time, but I've a feeling I won't have one...

Thanks again to [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION] for pointing me in the direction of AE. For all those who fancy a stab at it, it's not the 'Dry January Experiment' - it's the Alcohol Experiment, and it starts whenever you want it to - and lasts 30 days.

Good Luck. Enjoy it if you do it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, going to give it a go.....

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I did Dipsomania January and didn't slip up once.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
Completed it! Wasn’t anywhere near as hard as I thought it would be!

Thanks for the support of my fellow dryathletes on here!

Well done chaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Now I am in to Feb and I really am in two minds as to whether to continue or not. Part of me fancies a pint or a glass of wine this weekend but part of me will feel like I have just failed in some way?

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Tonight I was out for my friends 60th Birthday Meal and I had 2 glasses of wine. It went straight to my head lol! Will I ever enjoy a glass or two of wine again?? Feel good to completing #dryjanuary but it is good to know I can do without alcohol plus raise money for Cancer research.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the info, going to give it a go.....

I did Jan 6th last year to mid March and the Moyleman Run where, as you know, you get given a pint of Harvey’s at the finish line in the brewery yard. It was a good target but I then drank daily until a dry November.

This year it’s Jan 13th to Brighton Marathon and then hanging on a fortnight to get a century of days abstaining.

It did not help me run faster but used wine time for stretching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here