Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most days my Apple Watch will show I've covered something around 11 miles across all activity. I only start my watch when I take the dog out for a walk, so there are lots of other walks which I don't measure explicitly - taking my son to and from school, popping down to the shop and just walking around the house etc.

Today I've been out with the dog three times:

Walk 1: 1.13m
Walk 2: 3.25m
Walk 3: 2.84m

Total: 7.22m explicitly recorded with my watch showing an overall daily total of 10.85 miles and 20,560 steps.

The problem with walking is the time it takes relative to running. I'm guessing walking is 100-120 steps per minute, and I seem to recall running could be typically in the region of 180 steps per minute.

Thanks....looks almost identical in that case. I’m a bit sceptical about some of the step ‘claims’ but around 2,000 to a mile definitely sounds reasonable. Yes - normal cadence for most runners would be around 180.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks....looks almost identical in that case. I’m a bit sceptical about some of the step ‘claims’ but around 2,000 to a mile definitely sounds reasonable. Yes - normal cadence for most runners would be around 180.

I think the Apple Watch, certainly the most recent version which I have, is pretty good at not registering false positives. It's difficult to trick it that you've stood up once an hour unless you do actually get up and walk around a bit.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I'm still off the booze!

No temptation to go back.

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
Oooh interesting. The Nanny State is really nice, so I'll be interested to hear feedback on this

Report back when you’ve had it. How does it compare to Nanny State - their other no alcohol beer.

Finally got around to sinking one of these today... Really pleased to report back the BrewDog Punk AF is really nice! So much so I had another (get me!)

I've not ever had the original alcoholic version of BrewDog Punk so can't comment on how it stacks up (not that you can ever fairly compare, as such) but this to me is a slightly better taste than the Nanny State - it's very light, very drinkable and I think it will be a massive hit, especially in the summer. Seriously impressed with this latest effort from Brewdog! :clap2:

Oh, and apparently they have it on draft in BrewDog Bars - I'd be really interested to know if it's on tap in Brighton if anyone happens to be in there. Cheers!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still going and 178 days in now.

Just approaching 3 stone lost, have another 5lb to go to get to my "running 40 miles a week" weight, even though I've not run for a very, very long time.

Anyone else still sticking it out through the testing warm Summer days and nights?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Just approaching 3 stone lost, have another 5lb to go to get to my "running 40 miles a week" weight, even though I've not run for a very, very long time.

Anyone else still sticking it out through the testing warm Summer days and nights?

Wow, what a superb effort.

I did DryJanuary but since then kept a track of drink free days and it's quite shocking looking back. I've even tracked the odd single glass of wine at a business event as NOT a Drink Free Day, because clearly it isn't!

Have got more of a grip in June and upped my steps to 20,000+ per day and aim to revisit drink free for Sep & Oct. Zero weight loss though!!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Did dry Jan and now doing mindful drinking. Tend to drink 2-3 days in a month max and that is enjoying a drink rather than getting hammered. In fact I have not been 'hammered' this year, most drinks I have had in a day is 4, maybe 5.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have got more of a grip in June and upped my steps to 20,000+ per day

I upped my steps to 20k per day when my weight loss started to plateau a bit after the relatively easy first stone and a bit came off. And, because I love sticking to a sequence of almost anything, I made it to 38 days.

On day 38 I was up to 18,000 steps and it was around 11pm, so I started speed-walking laps of the lounge to get up to my 20k. At the same time I was trying to watch a YouTube video on the TV. As a result I ended up smashing my foot on heavy furniture, almost certainly breaking something in or around my little toe. It was absolute agony for a week or so, and has gradually got better but can still be pretty sore probably because I've not rested it as much as I should.

I'm not made it to 20k steps since I did that on May 30th, although I was close yesterday at 19,475.

2fb56254f532005783189f1b55155ee0.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I upped my steps to 20k per day when my weight loss started to plateau a bit after the relatively easy first stone and a bit came off. And, because I love sticking to a sequence of almost anything, I made it to 38 days.

On day 38 I was up to 18,000 steps and it was around 11pm, so I started speed-walking laps of the lounge to get up to my 20k. At the same time I was trying to watch a YouTube video on the TV. As a result I ended up smashing my foot on heavy furniture, almost certainly breaking something in or around my little toe. It was absolute agony for a week or so, and has gradually got better but can still be pretty sore probably because I've not rested it as much as I should.

I'm not made it to 20k steps since I did that on May 30th, although I was close yesterday at 19,475.

2fb56254f532005783189f1b55155ee0.jpg

I've become a little obsessed with steps, which is great. I've pushed out a 46k walking over the Down's from Whiteway's to Shoreham and 45,000 walking from Arundel, via Climping, to Shoreham.

I do challenges so yes, my dog is always looking anxious around 11 pm as I normally set off around the block to knock out 2-3,000 steps.

My average as at today is 19,757 and the aim is to consistently stay above 20,000.

I know I need to knock the booze on the head to really lose weight and I'm really trying to find the motivation!

Bod

Dec 8, 2015

I recently had some abnormal liver test results and was told by the doctor not to drink until it was investigated. I have therefore not drunk since the last game of the season. 2 things have really helped:

1. Being told not to drink by a doctor has, strangely, made it easier to stop. I just did not think it would make much difference as I am not normally very good at being told what to do. I had wanted to cut down for a while but struggled with Dry January and my own efforts. But once the doctor said not so a switch just went off in my mind. It was almost a relief.

2. I had a packed social diary which would normally involve a lot of drinking and which I could not get out of and so I have had to go sober to among other things, a pub crawl, beer festival, lads weekend away, work night out and concert. I had a brilliant time at all the events and was able to tick off various trigger events very quickly to the extent that even if I get the all clear next week I cannot see myself drinking again, certainly not in the foreseeable future.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
And so Sober October starts for me. Had a few last night as a way of saying goodbye. Anyone else doing this for macmillan?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
And so Sober October starts for me. Had a few last night as a way of saying goodbye. Anyone else doing this for macmillan?

Not specifically for Macmillan, but I thought I'd give it a go. Not that I drink beer that much, but I got into drinking NA ones a few months ago. Tesco used to stock Free Damm, which was really tasty, but they don't seem to have it at the moment. G&T is normally my thing, but there's no ice in the house, which is enough of a reason to not have one!

Good luck!

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Yeah I am doing it...not for charity cause I dont want the pressure of getting sponsors.

I want to see if I can do it. My main problem is the football. I cant imagine going to a game without having a few beers or 10!

Saturday and Villa away will be tough!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Yeah I am doing it...not for charity cause I dont want the pressure of getting sponsors.

I want to see if I can do it. My main problem is the football. I cant imagine going to a game without having a few beers or 10!

Saturday and Villa away will be tough!

I'll be at the Spurs game, and meeting in the pub beforehand :). I'll have a coke.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
So 3rd day in. Feeling quite positive. I've had 2 AF lagers (1 a day) which have helped, but the proof will be tonight - got a gig in Islington, and I usually do between 6-8 pints. My gig group know I'm doing Sober for October, and we're all pretty adult so should be supportive. Quite surprised about how "easy" it appears at the moment, expecting a crash at some point.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’ve just been given a diagnosis of PSC which is a chronic liver condition which affects the bile ducts. From the moment I had the first tests I’ve stopped drinking. It’s hasn’t been as hard as I thought - plenty of good NA beers, wine I can generally live without, I have missed a G&T though. My consultant has said the condition isn’t caused by alcohol but that it would be sensible to avoid doing something else which has the potential to damage my liver. So, It’s tea and water at the football and there will always be someone to drive on a night out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here